DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Once in a while I step away from the absinthe to indulge in something different. Tonight it's Russell's Reserve Rye whisky. Trying to conserve the absinthe stash for New Years Eve so my uninitiated friends have a good variety to sample.

Edited by Manray

Howe Sound Woolly Bugger Barleywine.

Very attractive (and refractive) deep amber brown color with off-white head that really lasts.

Nose of figs, persimmons, caramel, toffee, gingerbread, and allspice.

Taste is all of the above plus plum, raisin, baker's chocolate, and cedar shavings.

Very nicely integrated hops and soft alcohol (especially for 11% abv.) create a very warming and pleasing orchestra of flavor that just hits the spot.

Score another one for Canadia, eh!

Finishing up with another gloriously rich and totally decadent Fremont B-Bomb (Bourbon Abominable) 2012.

This takes the prize as my End of the World pick, even over the more complex and finesse-y Firestone Walker 16.

Something about all that bourbon, roasted chocolate, toasted coconut nougat, old leather and tobacco that says "Okay, now I'm ready..." :dev-cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

Last night I had a Rochefort 6, a Delerium Christmas, and a Chimay White. Followed that with a glass of Laphroaig 16 Single Cask (cask strength). I believe I had a Rusty Nail as a nightcap later on.

The Delerium Christmas was good, but I think I prefer the Tremens offering.

And now today I am drinking lemonade because I have a headache.

T.R.E.A.T. Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter.

Nice medium, creamy body, deep dark brown with russet highlights, spicy, chocolate nose with vanilla, Millk Duds™, sandalwood, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and pumpkin. Finish is long on the palate, and there is some drying in the finish from the modest, earthy hopping.

Not as assertive with the pumpkin, but better balanced, and I'd give it the slight edge over Pumking, as my favorite pumpkin ale. :thumbup:

Leftovers in the fridge. Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat. Average.

After all this talk of fancy beer on here I figured I'd try a couple. Having a Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout with the wifes chili. This is good stuff. Nice heavy body and robust flavor. Have an Arrogant Bastard on deck. If it's as good as this one I'll have no problems. :drunk:

Edited by Songcatcher

I've been intrigued by the idea of this drink since I first read about it. Like the blog article suggests is the case, some people can't afford this (go figure) so I have been playing with some combinations using currently available ingredients (Combier Kummel and Marie Brizard Orange Curacao). I've been through a progression of Cognacs including Pierre Ferrande 1840, A. Hardy XO (minimum 20-25 year old), and A. Hardy Noces D'Or (minimum 50 year old).

Last night's version was with the suggested ratios of 2, 1, 1, and probably the equivalent of about 10 or so drops of Angostura. To keep the total portion under control, I used 1.5, .75, .75 ounces. Now I can certainly understand why Mr. Calabrese didn't twist a drink composed entirely of antique booze, but when I got to the second version (the XO, which I thought was very good), I began to think this would indeed be nice with a lemon twist, so I added it in the final version. Anyway, with the Noces D'Or it was awesome. Exactly my kind of drink... complex, mature, lots of depth of flavor, almost a little brooding, but focused. I wouldn't argue that this is an inexpensive drink (the Noces D'Or alone is about $9 an ounce retail), the total retail cost of ingredients being around $16, but with the approximately $8784 left over from the Calabrese version, the next time I want to go slumming, I can buy myself quite a stash of La Fee.

Um, nothing. I pretty much quit drinking almost 10 months ago. I still drink wine in moderation, wherever that is. Happy Holidays to you all!

post-582-0-48094800-1356405752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guillaume Lanfray

Um, nothing...

You had me right there, oldtimer.

Great to see you resurface, even if it is only once in a blue Chartreuse moon. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

Merry Christmas, Crazy But I Like This Stuff.

Abs, you're having too much fun! Enjoy!