DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Fullers ESB

I'll make no justification aside from the tasty dark fruit flavor.

No justification needed for the good stuff.

some co "moonshine" spruced up with some bitters. Dont' think I've been here since the new forum software kicked in. Sorry to have been gone so long, but with good reason, my little ones are doing great and soaking up my free time. Happy to check in with all of you, all is well on this front.

trying my first self prepared Martini tonight. dry vermouth and gin. its pretty dry :) started with .5 oz of vermouth and 2.5 gin. i may try just 2oz of gin in the next glass. not sure what to think of it yet as i have never had one prepared by a professional.

Edited by Todd

Sounds like a perfectly drinkable Martini, albeit very dry. I'd suggest about 2 oz gin to .75 oz dry vermouth (about a 3 to 1 ratio) plus a couple dashes of orange bitters if you have them. Lemon twist is my preference. Explore, enjoy... none of them will kill you. Believe me, I've had Martinis prepared by "professionals" that were frightening.

Jaywalker Imperial Stout today.

More dark red fruit esters than I'm used to for the style, but plenty of brown, as well, along with coffee, chocolate liqueur, and more than a hint of rum/brandy.

My favorite Washington impy, but impossible to find, at least in my neck of the woods.

Edited by Absomphe

Belhaven Scottish Ale.

Yup! Now I want a Fuller's ESB,which makes me think of The Slaughtered Lamb Pub on 4th st,which makes me want to bop around Greenwich Village tomorrow and blow off school. Edited by redwun

I have tasted Jade in it's infancy back around '05. I had high hopes and swapped some killer stuff for a 50cl bottle of Jade 1901. My word was I sorely disappointed upon sampling it. Not at all what I remember Ted cooking. Then I learned that some batches, especially the 2010 batches were done apart from Ted's QC. Oh well. I hear the recent batches are better.

I found color to be weak in earlier batches of Jade. Seems to have been rectified throughout the line. The wine base is still noticeable, but partial to pisco so that is a plus for me.

It can't match the lab HG stuff, or so I'm told, but volume and quality are not friends.