DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Yeah, we're brothers, dontcha know? :wheelchair: :wheelchair:

It's to damned warm, so it's back to the Hoptimum this week.

Edited by Absomphe

Currently sipping Thickasabrick's go-to cocktail:

• 1 part absinthe
  • 1 part (Hendrick's) gin
  • two dashes Angostura bitters
  • two dashes Benedictine
  • 1 splash lemon juice
  • 6 parts ice water
  • garnish with basil leaves

Its quite good! I added a bit more water than written, but thats it. I like the basil garnish as it adds a nice aroma while I'm taking a sip.

Is this something you came up with Thick? Its quite refreshing.. Especially made ice cold with Maison Fontaine and Hendricks Gin. :)

:cheers:

Edited by AFO

It's a Gruntled Pumkin Ale tonight to celebrate the low 40s overnight temperature coming this way. Ahhhh, fall. Me favorite time of year. Summer, aroint thee from thy premises!

A new version of Ridge Verte. Same bottle I've had all year. I'm just applying Jules' advice of louching slowly. I had been using my all metal see-saw dripper, but it almost power louches. this week I have been using my Luxid dripper which is much slower. The same absinthes I drank last week have grown creamier AND sweeter. Both wife and I feel the same difference. Particularly noticable, is the added sweetness in this glass of Ridge Verte.

Is this something you came up with Thick? Its quite refreshing.. Especially made ice cold with Maison Fontaine and Hendricks Gin. :)

Yes I believe it's my creation. It's quite refreshing, and helped me through the summertime without A/C.

Right now, I'm drinking sparkling lemonade with Angostura bitters. Also refreshing.

Sipping a Negroni for the first time.. It is quite good. Although I cheated a bit, as I found the bitterness a little overwhelming, so I added an ounce of perrier to dial it down a bit. Though as I sip it, I am growing rather fond of it, and want to make it sans perrier next time.

I used Campari, Martini Rosso sweet vermouth, and Bombay Sapphire Gin. I added an orange slice for a garnish, and an ounce of perrier to tame it a bit. I think I want to try an americano next. This campari has a nice bite to it. I had a bad experience drinking waaaaaay too much campari in my teens, and had been turned off it for years. Now, 15 years later, I find myself quite fond of it.

Anyway, cheers all!

Authentique, in me bubble glass. Pleasant.

Now sipping a Singapore Sling... Quite delicious! I bought a bottle of benedictine for Thickasabricks cocktail, and have found a few other (delicious) uses for it. Here is the recipe I used:

Singapore Sling

• 1 dash angostura bitters
  • 2 oz Gin
  • ½ oz Benedictine
  • 1 oz Cherry Brandy
  • ½ oz lemon juice
  • Top up soda water

Shake and strain into ice filled sling glass, top up with soda water.

Here is another recipe that I found, that I will try next time.

Singapore Sling #2

• 40ml (8 parts) Gin
  • 20ml (4 parts) Cherry Brandy
  • 5ml (1 part) Cointreau
  • 5ml (1 part) DOM Bénédictine
  • 10ml (2 parts) Grenadine
  • 80ml (16 parts) Pineapple juice
  • 30ml (6 parts) Fresh lemon juice
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • Garnish with pineapple and maraschino cherry

Mix all in a cocktail shaker, shake and strain into sling glass. No ice in the glass for this one apparently...

As it happens, I found an unopened bottle of real, pomegranate based grenadine in my moms liquor cabinet and she said I could keep it. So now I can try making Sangrita (not sangria, its meant for drinking alongside a good tequila) again with the real stuff! :thumbup:

Man this is good! I wish I had discovered this at the beginning of the summer, so refreshing! I am about to switch to scotch as the weather gets colder, but I may just keep this one in the rotation.

Edited by AFO

Leopold Navy strength gin and Dolin's dry vermouth. One glass got La Fee bitters and the other glass with Shanba bitters. I way over did the amount of bitters in both cases, I wanted to be sure I could tell the difference. Used wife as fellow guinea pig. She appropriated the glass with the Shabba bitters, added a lil water to make up for my heavy hand, and enjoyed. the big man has definitely come up with a smoother and superior product. I'm curious about trying sweet vermouth, and only one dash per glass.

Now some BC to send me to dreamland.

The danger of experimenting with 57% booze is that you get shitfaced before you can report on it. Shabba won hands down. We both tried both glasses. After a little back and forth, she appropriated the glass with Shabba. She also thinks Sweet vermouth would work best. Maybe the 57% gin throws the modern mix ratio into the rubbish can.