DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

That is a damn shame. Over reaction. My first fear upon hearing the news was idiotic bureaucrats messing with you.

TX loves Czechs, so come down to watch an F1 race, listen to some blues, and pay a politician to help you move.

You're the second miscreant to use that one.

It wasn't funny the first time.

Okay, maybe it was. :laugh:

Oh, you know it was funny.

Edited by greytail

Oh no, Martin! :no:

Seems like prohibition is just gonna keep shitty products circulating illegally...and good products (or in the case of your stuff, GREAT products) out of the reach of honest people. :3869-sadbanana:

At first this news seemed incredible to me... and awful, but after reading a couple of articles I understand this to be a temporary measure to protect the public from illegally made booze that is making people sick and even killing some. Knowing that, it seems reasonable. And hopefully short-lived.

What the carrion dinosaur said!

Evil Twin Brewing's Lil B Imperial Porter.

This one is contracted out to Westbrook Brewing Co. , Mount Pleasant, S.C.

It's super thick, super rich, and straightforward chocolate, caramel, and woody vanilla at first, but as I sipped, I was amazed at the complexity that revealed itself. Dark and not so dark fruits began to emerge, as well as Cabernet (or perhaps Syrah), leather, tobacco, smoke, sandalwood, and even bourbon made their presence known, despite the fact that this beer isn't even barrel aged.

Probably the most yummy strong porter I've tasted.

Edited by Absomphe

When crooks break laws, make new and more restrictive laws that will choke the life out of legit business, and that crooks will ignore as they did before.

Yeah, people are being killed and irreparably harmed. I can't imagine the government winning by doing nothing. Also, this applies only to alcohol beverages over 30% ABV according to the article linked by Martin. So if you need a fix...

As I read it this is only a temporary measure and only for hard booze, nothing like Prohibition in the US. The reasons for it are totally different. The other option they have is to let the booze continue to be sold and more people get sick and die. I am not a fan of government regulation, but sometimes it's just the best option.

Louche speed does make a big difference.

Yesterday I used my lucid dripper, which is a good bit slower than the all metal one, and the Pacifique seemed like a different absinthe than my usual semi- power louched glasses of it. Best lesson I learned from Jules ever.

Pink Lady and a gin and tonic with housemade tonic water at Bourbon Steak. Pork cupcake, roasted marrow bones, duck fat french fries, tuna tartar, etc etc. Great meal, and impeccable service. MPC, you should enjoy yourself tonight. Let me know what you think.

I had two Marteaus last night. When I first had Marteau, I really liked it. After tonight, I think I'm falling in love. It just keeps getting better and better. I have a feeling that storing a fresh bottle in my closet for a decade or so as I am trying to do is going to get very hard soon...

My go-to absinthe cocktail:

1 part absinthe

1 part (Hendrick's) gin

two dashes Angostura bitters

two dashes Benedictine

1 splash lemon juice

6 parts ice water

garnish with basil leaves

Im going to give this a try today... I was looking for a good cocktail that involved absinthe and gin, and this looks mighty tasty! All I have to buy is the Benedictine... Any tips on the prep?

I was actually torn between this and giving a Negroni a try... Hmm... anyone have any other suggestions for a tasty sunday cocktail?

:cheers:

Edited by AFO

So I bought a bottle of Benedictine, and a little something special... I was browsing the liquor store after grabbing the Benedictine D.O.M. as opposed to the B & B (Benedictine and Brandy, though technically cognac) and looked at all the unique liqueurs and to my surprise, a bottle of Mead! I have been wanting to try mead for some time, and the liquor store just happened to have it. First time I have ever seen it in a Canadian Liquor Store. So I grabbed it for today... I have it chilling, and am very much looking forward to cracking the bottle...

Any one know of any spirits distilled from honey?

AFO, Honeyjack is one but some people dislike the term and call distilled honey an eau-de-vie, honey brandy, or something along those lines. It exists, but is somewhat hard to find.

Since I know you are in to making booze, mead can be fermented at home and is very simple. You just have to be patient with it.

AleSmith Horny Devil.

It's been ten years since I enjoyed this true work of art, and I'm thrilled that it (and the equally wonderful Grand Cru are now available at our local beer mecca, Elizabeth Station.

Edited by Absomphe

Im going to give this a try today... I was looking for a good cocktail that involved absinthe and gin, and this looks mighty tasty! All I have to buy is the Benedictine... Any tips on the prep?

I was actually torn between this and giving a Negroni a try... Hmm... anyone have any other suggestions for a tasty sunday cocktail?

I use La Maison Fontaine absinthe and Hendrick's gin - both are very "soft" tasting. If you are using stronger absinthe/gin, I'd maybe use a little less.

But you can't go wrong with a Negroni either.

As I read it this is only a temporary measure and only for hard booze, nothing like Prohibition in the US.

Based on his Twitter and mentioning Feb. 14, I have the feeling it's going to be a bit longer. Sounds like it might even be an entire year before anyone's allowed to distill again. :dead:

Any one know of any spirits distilled from honey?

St. Antoine had an experimental batch made from Meade. Very tasty.

Yeah, I made absinthe called Mead Base some years ago. I simply took our three years old Mead (honey wine), distilled it and used it as a base spirit for absinthe. And I did it again. Second batch already exists, 8 months old now, 120 litres in total. It is actually not the same St. Antoine recipe, but classic Pernod-like recipe with 6 basic herbs. I'd like to bottle it sometime around December/January 2013. As always, I am not in rush.

Looking forward to trying that one! I am quite fond of everything that comes out of your distillery (except La Grenouille :tongue:) and am sure this will be amazing!

And Brick, I actually have Hendricks and La Maison Fontaine... I bought a bottle of Benedictine yesterday. It has a lot in common with Jägermeister, yet is completely different.

Any one here fond of Benedictine? Any cocktails to suggest? Heres a couple I want to try:

Singapore Sling

• 1 dash angostura bitters
  • 2 oz Gin
  • ½ oz Benedictine
  • 1 oz Cherry Brandy
  • ½ oz lemon juice
  • Top up soda water

Shake and strain into ice filled sling glass, top up with soda water.

Old Fashioned Benedictine

• 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
  • 2 oz Benedictine
  • 2 tsp sugar

Method:

Add the sugar, bitters and 0.5 shot of Bénédictine into a tumbler glass. Stir for 1 minute until the sugar is completely dissolved with bitters and Bénédictine. Add an ice cube and stir for another minute. Add another shot of Bénédictine and 2 more ice cubes, stirring this time for 2 minutes. Then add in the remaining half shot of Bénédictine with 2 more ice cubes, stirring for a further 2 minutes. Add additional ice if desired before garnishing.