DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I thought I'd try the Ernest Hemingway "Death in the Afternoon". I have some Angelique mixed with Korbel Brut Champagne, no sugar added as I figured the champagne would be sweet enough. It's not a bad mix, but I think I prefer a water louched absinthe with a cube or two of sugar. Maybe I'll try it again when my Jade PF 1901 arrives later this week.

I think Death in the Afternoons are best with only a splash of absinthe, not one or two ounces as suggested. Also, I've had better success with cheap, sweet sparkling wine.

I'm drinking some fruity lambic beer. First a sour raspberry one while I was cooking dinner, and now a sweeter cherry one.

I think Death in the Afternoons are best with only a splash of absinthe, not one or two ounces as suggested. Also, I've had better success with cheap, sweet sparkling wine.

I'm drinking some fruity lambic beer. First a sour raspberry one while I was cooking dinner, and now a sweeter cherry one.

Maybe that was my mistake. I used a full dosage of absinthe, and the taste was a bit overpowering. Thanks for the suggestion!

A double-jigger of... something. Courting (contrived) disaster the best way I know how; one grin and sip at-a-time.

Bottoms up.

I've spent the long, hot summer drinking these made with cheap & cheerful Cupcake prosecco, a sugar cube and half-ish dose of absinthe (works best with absinthes that have floral/fruity notes like Meadow of Love, Ridge & Leopold Bros.).

My Jade PF 1901 arrived today from Alandia and it is a very nice absinthe. The color was a greenish-yellow tint with a very natural look. I added in the water too quickly so missed the very nice louche that others have mentioned. I used two sugar cubes for sweetness and the initial bouquet was very pleasant and not overpowering or artificial smelling. The taste is very pleasant with a bit of a tongue numbness. A very pleasant absinthe and probably the best of the limited varieties I've had the chance to try. I could see keeping this in stock in my home bar.

I thought I'd try the Ernest Hemingway "Death in the Afternoon". I have some Angelique mixed with Korbel Brut Champagne, no sugar added as I figured the champagne would be sweet enough. It's not a bad mix, but I think I prefer a water louched absinthe with a cube or two of sugar. Maybe I'll try it again when my Jade PF 1901 arrives later this week.

Yup. A half-ounce, and a nice cava or prosecco (demi's are lovely) make this far better than Ernie's recipe.

...unless you're rocking pre-ban and Dom, that is... :dev-cheers:

I am delighted to report that tonight, after much waiting, I'll be drinking Damiana margarita's. My shipment of Damiana has finally arrived, and I can't wait!

Currently louching up a glass of Maison Fontaine, and getting the ingredients measured for my next batch of fudge, white chocolate!

:cheers:

Edited by AFO

Ron, Grim, Vanessa, Attack Accountant, Jules and I plowed through 3 bottles of Ridge (Verte and 2 protos) in two days.

Plus last night... that makes sense of the fog and patchy memories!

I am delighted to report that tonight, after much waiting, I'll be drinking Damiana margarita's. My shipment of Damiana has finally arrived, and I can't wait!

Sweet Mother, Mary and Joseph! That could possibly be the BEST margarita I have ever had! /happydance.

So, I have been trying to find Damiana for a while now (no surprise- not easy to get here in MN), but after a bunch of searching, I was able to procure this fine, fine spirit from Mexico, made (largely) from the damiana plant.

I think this is worthy of a post in the Cocktail Club, so I am going to break two rules here- Self-quoting, and double-posting in different areas.

Muhahaha!

Heiniken. Has been awhile since I had one. Quite refreshing.

Yeah, but I can't believe the price is about the same as Fuller's ESB.

Especially since the taste is like night and day. :harhar: :dev-cheers: