DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

wow that sounds good. Is it a commercial brand?

Not commercial, I just threw some spices and tea into a teapot, and poured in some boiling water. It needed some cardamom and milk, but those weren't on hand at the moment. I must have done something right because I could taste each individual ingredient and it was delicious.

Right now I'm drinking a makeshift Rob Roy. I don't have any vermouth or ice, so it's whisky, red wine, Angostura bitters, a brandied cherry, and room-temp water. Definitely better when cold and with vermouth!!! But my homemade brandied cherries worked out great.

My first glass of absinthe since returning from Afghanistan is a glass of Angelique. I've only got about one more glass left in the bottle, so it is time to stock up on some new brands. I think I'm going to try the PF 1901. It seems to have favorable reviews from here, and since I'm in Europe, shouldn't take too long to arrive. :cheerz:

mmm, currently sipping a glass of Genmaicha green tea... so good, and the rice adds a really nice nuttiness to the flavour.

I am going to make another batch of fudge, and willl report back which absinthe's I drink this time... People really love my fudge so I have to keep making it... It is almost as precise as heat treating steel (my other passion, knives, blades, and metallurgy of steel) as one degree to low, and you have sugar soup, one degree to high, and you fudge sets too hard and loses that wonderful creaminess. I use a traditional recipe, so there is even less room for error... But alas, a little focus, and some dedicated kitchen time yields some amazing fudge. Absinthe and music help the process significantly!

:cheers:

I'm drinking from my new bottle of Marteau... hmmm, already getting too close to a half bottle. Luckily I just acquired a second bottle!

Fudge sounds too complicated. I'm thinking of making bourbon balls.... but twisting those balls into absinthe balls instead. Need to wait until autumn comes. Somehow seems more appropriate.

De Dochter van de Korenaar Embrasse aged in Connemara whiskey casks.

Hazy, deep red-brown pour with a short tan head leaving little lace. Nose is smoky peat, dates and a bit of booze. Heavy body with light carbonation, yielding a lovely round, smooth mouth feel. Peat, wood, caramel, blue cheese, raisins, dates and some light citrus peel. Finish is medium and remains as complex as the swallow, with a bit more wood and cheese, with some whiskey creeping in. Very nicely balanced, and extremely rich and complex. My new smoked beer all time favorite.

Fudge is setting up as we speak, this one turned out wonderfully! Nice and creamy, yet firm but not too creamy, or too firm ;)

Drank Doubs Mystique, Perroquet and Jade Edouard... Currently finishing my overwaterd glass of edourd... the fudge hit critical temp, so I had to start beating and left the fountain a bit too long.. oh well, it still tastes amazing!

Edited by AFO

AFO, are you a knifemaker, or just interested in knives/metallurgy?

I have a cool Shilin Dao (Shih-Ling Dao) that was made for me by Kuo He Ji. I believe the Kuo family has been making this style of knives since 1870. The sad thing is that he has no son, and no apprentice, so the family craft may die with him.

Here's a video of the knife I found on youtube. You can see how sharp the knife is, and the shape is unique too!

Edited by thickasabrick

That's a helluva edge on that blade taab. Is it surgical steel? You can hear from the lock back it's a stout knife. Bet it feels killer in the hand. Appreciate that.

AFO, are you a knifemaker, or just interested in knives/metallurgy?

Not a maker, just an enthusiast ;)

Those knives in your vid were amazing! I would be proud to own a set like that :)

I use my knives hard and am an avid outdoorsman. By hard I mean like chopping wood, prepping fire makings, building stuff,etc.. I find it easier and lighter to carry a tarp instead of a full tent, and just build a frame for it. I get a much bigger shelter for much less weight.

I also find the knife philosophically significant... a simple extension of the human hand, multiplies its function exponentially. You walk into a forest with nothing but a cutting tool and the proper knowledge, and you can make anything you need to survive.

I dont hunt, but I set traps for imaginary animals (sticks) to practice the skills. A good knife is necessary for the detailed notching work to make all the parts fit precisely together.

I like spending long periods of time secluded in nature (hermitage),and basically meditate in front of the fire all day. Its a routine of sit, stoke the fire, sit, stoke the fire, sit, cook, eat, clean, add a log, sit, stoke the fire... and repeat for 4-7 days. A basic set of skills makes this much more comfortable. A knife makes those basic skills possible. As a result, I barely have to carry any gear.

Whoa... I think Ive had enough.... :tongue:

total for the night:

2 batches of PERFECTLY creamy vanilla fudge

Doubs Mystique

Perroquet

Overwatered Jade Edouard

St. Antoine

La Grenouille (I really dont like this one... tastes kind of like bad chai tea)

Another Perroquet,

and am now sipping a L'Ancienne to cap the evening.

Edited by AFO

I've got a bottle of Doubs Mystique on my desk as I type. I've not had this one before so the day can't end quick enough so I can get home and have a glass.

I moved into a new house yesterday, so it seems an appropriate way to toast our new home :)

Congratulations!!!!

Cheers! My table, complete with absinthe, fountain and glasses will be an oasis of civility in a sea of unopened packing boxes!

It's all about priorities! :cheerz:

Congrats on the new house! I love Doubs Mystique... It has a nice mintiness to it that's quite refreshing on a hot day.

Edited by AFO

Opened and having my first glass of Jade NO. It's niiiiice. :euro:

Had no trouble getting the cork out. Popped the wax cap off with my thumbs like a champagne cork, used my Houdini and it popped right out real easy like.

My first glass of Charteuse, a green. I can only imagine how wonderful a vintage would be.

Greytail, let that 1901 age for a few months... it will make a big difference.

Edited by Scott M.

A tall glass of iced lemonade, with a few dashes of absinthe and Angostura bitters, and several basil leaves.

I think absinthe and basil pair nicely. I suggest someone try throwing some fresh basil leaves into their next glass.