DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Once SC added the emoticons it was clearer that he was poking playfully.

Those little buggers can certainly help clarify our intent.

Indeed! You can't see my smiling face in my written text without them. All in good fun. :cheers:

And thank you MPC. Mighty nice words. :)

Edited by Songcatcher

I got your number, Songy Song. You're a genuinely nice and classy guy so would be highly unlike you to post anything less than gentleman-like.

I noted the same off-putting astringency in my review. But my bottle was a distiller's proof from Martin, so that may have a little to do with it. Also, I think I mentioned that what this absinthe needed, ironically, was more age.

I've revisited that bottle a year later, and much of what I didn't like is still present. I've considered adjusting my scores downward as a result.

Another reason I've considered a downward adjustment is because I had a clone recently that re-centered my zero. It had ALL the qualities of a hundred year old absinthe, of a very specific marque, and was 100% spot on. So that proved to me that attaining the pre-ban experience is very possible. It made my knees quiver.

The 2011 is a significant leap forward over Stefano's original Mysterysinthe, the DP, and even the 2010 commercial bottling.

The astringency has been cut way down...

As to this clone, it sounds amazing, but I don't think it would be quite fair to downgrade one's assessment of Stefano's achievement based on this discovery, unless said clone were to be produced on the same limited commercial scale as L'Ancienne, and still achieve its remarkable mimicry of that specific pre-ban marque.

Duly noted! And you'd be right if that last bit was the only reason I would consider revising my review scores. But the first half of that quote (thank you for quoting it all, btw) was the primary reason I said I was considering the downward revision. When I initially did the review, it had some off-putting notes. I assumed age would smooth that out. It hadn't, in my opinion.

Something that everyone should consider is keeping their reviews up to date. Brian has talked about people needing to go back and periodically look at their reviews. As you are able to experience new things (not to be confused with the "next best thing" or flavour of the week), it adds more colours to your palette. Those in the community that have been around for the last decade can attest to the idea that what we thought was great at one point may have lost some luster when compared against what can be had now. So it's important that people go back and look at their reviews every now and then to see if what they thought rated a 5 may actually not be perfect, and maybe rate a 4. Dig it?

As for judging the latest CO run of L'Ancienne against a one-off clone, sure it's unfair. But what it does though is put things in perspective. Where I said in my review that L'Ancienne got into the ballpark, it may be that others have actually nailed it.

Absomphe, I'm sending you a PM this very second!

Yup. I've tried to edit some reviews, and for a couple months now, I can't change the scores on old reviews! I can change what I wrote, but not the points.

If it won't let you make point changes, perhaps changing what you posted first to reflect your current opinion.

Just an opinion from a person that hasn't used reviews for quite some time....about 4 years. :blush:

Those in the community that have been around for the last decade can attest to the idea that what we thought was great at one point may have lost some luster when compared against what can be had now.

Indeed!

Edited by Absomphe

Dark and Stormies for me, had to get rid of those limes! ;) Erm I mean "Perfect Storms" as once again my Cruzan Blackstrap was used instead of Goslings Rum. Don't want Gosling Dark Rum's Lawyers coming after me, they trademarked the name and you can only use Gosling's Black Seal Rum for it to be called a "Dark N' Stormy" :twitchsmile:

Edited by Cajun Magic

I had a bit left in each of my Absinthexplore bottles, so I put the three Clandestines together (clandestine, clandestine alcool du vin, capriceuse. ) and got another glass! Sipping it now while eating some dolmades and spanikopita. mmmmm :)

:cheers:

Fullers 1845

Songcatcher. You're gonna go down in history as the member who changed his avatar the most. :laf:

They are all cool though.

Yeah and I thought the Minou and Banjo was cool. It was a cute cat in an avatar while it lasted a couple of days :3869-sadbanana: but your new avatar is awesome :thumbup:

Well, I'm down to the end of my bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and for $26.99 I quite enjoyed it. I don't drink rum that often aside from this and my own Dark n' Stormy's. What do you guys like for rum?

Edited by castelletti

Perfect Storms (Dark and Stormies), Bushwackers, Painkillers, Nilla Killas, and if it's a good rum Neat in my Glencairn glass or Cognac Glass :arrr:

Edited by Cajun Magic

What do you guys like for rum?

Trying to soften up the resident pirate aye? :pirate:

This avatar came from this neat liitle bbcamerica link 'Mugshot Yourself'. Superimpose your pic with one of an outlaw of 1864. So yeah, he kinda does look like me.

Edited by Songcatcher

I think even if there were no emoticons, we'd know SC was teasing, given this big topic a few weeks ago (along with his very nice disposition).

Thanx MPC. You're right. Anyone should be able to see that.

I'm enjoying a glass of the house verte with a distinctly sharp florence fennel flavor. I think Ron would be particularly impressed with this one.

I'm enjoying a glass of the house verte with a distinctly sharp florence fennel flavor. I think Ron would be particularly impressed with this one.

And I think Absomphe would be particularly impressed with the alliteration.

Nothing cagey here, Greytail. Ron has been harping (nicely) at me to try our verte with florence fennel instead of sweet fennel. Now, if he would only stop by to give me his impression... ;)

The problem is, f.f. is terribly expensive (4 to 5 times more expensive than sweet fennel). I'm running gardening experiments to see if I can make it a viable crop here. If I could keep the cost down (or at least reasonable), I'd be delighted to make the change. It really adds a spicy/earthy quality without losing any sweetness. Very nice, indeed.