DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

What? VC tastes like crap? :laugh:

Seriously though, wish I had picked up that bottle I saw while in PA.

Edited by greytail

Enjoying a refreshing arguement free class of Vieux Carre :cheers: Got a problem with that? :laugh:

I think you mean "glass" but if you want a class, hey that's cool. :harhar:

He meant "argument", too. Abs rubs off on people sometimes. :) :wave2:

I'm sipping my favorite gin with some homemade tonic.....Fresh off the stove.

Well, I did let it age about a half hour.

It's tasty and I thank Lars and Brian for their recipes.

Oh, Jules pushed me. ;) :heart:

Worth an evening in the kitchen. Easily worth it.

Thanks all, :cheers:

I dunno, Cap'n.

Ever since I made myself suffer through The Three Stooges as a kid, I've never been a big fan of physical comedy. :laugh:

Enjoying a refreshing arguement free class of Vieux Carre :cheers: Got a problem with that? :laugh:

Yes, I do.

I think you meant glass. :harhar: :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

Drinking some yummy vinegar and water.

The bottle of vinegar lists the ingredients: Apple cider vinegar, concentrate grape must, balsamic vinegar, natural pomegranate juice.

Looks like wine, and tastes almost as good.

I remember getting a lot of all of those from the prototype that I was first sent. I think I relayed that as well.

All of those qualities seem to have aged out dramatically since I first opened it.

I remember those qualities initially from the prototype, as well, and, yes, they aged out nicely.

I don't know about ALL versions of Ancienne, but based upon what I've tasted, I say he was accurate. I don't think that "synthetic" was a poor choice of a word, either. Synthetic is not necessarily bad, but it's different from natural. Absinthe doesn't taste like it's 100 years old by way of any one-year (or whatever) process, and that's a fact.

I noted the same off-putting astringency in my review. But my bottle was a distiller's proof from Martin, so that may have a little to do with it. Also, I think I mentioned that what this absinthe needed, ironically, was more age.

I've revisited that bottle a year later, and much of what I didn't like is still present. I've considered adjusting my scores downward as a result.

Another reason I've considered a downward adjustment is because I had a clone recently that re-centered my zero. It had ALL the qualities of a hundred year old absinthe, of a very specific marque, and was 100% spot on. So that proved to me that attaining the pre-ban experience is very possible. It made my knees quiver.

It had ALL the qualities of a hundred year old absinthe, of a very specific marque, and was 100% spot on. So that proved to me that attaining the pre-ban experience is very possible.

Now that you mention it, years ago Ted made a Berger clone that compared favorably with vintage Berger side by side, but it wasn't that he nailed the "aged" nuances, it was that he captured what the old Berger would have (presumably of course) been like when it was fresh.

Sort of a menthol flavor, but not minty.

That's from your review (thanks, I hadn't read it previously). Maybe this is what some people have perceived as camphor.

I often use camhpor because I fail to remember menthol or minty.

Sometimes the aroma of the forest, evergreens and so forth, may present a challenge for me.

To me, those things are more refreshing unless the drink is suffering from such strong aromas.

Yes, it's all about me or my ability to enjoy a drink and describe it to someone.

You know, since i've heard and used the word camphorous here I decided to find a borttle of campho phenique and well, smell it. Man alive! that stuff is strong! Too strong to be a descriptor for an absinthe I believe now. In hindsight unfortunately. I'm not sure if there is any resemblence to terpentine made from pine oil(haven't smelled that in a long time). But someone needs to come up with a closer descriptive term. I'll keep my nose on the lookout. :cheers:

Camphor smells like moth balls. The old fashioned moth balls, anyway, back before PETA put a stop to cruel and unusual moth castration.

PETA should concentrate on more pressing issues than moth's ballz.

I'm going to try the HG Tonic in other drinks tonight. It's an interesting concoction.

:cheers:

I just finished moving all of my possessions to my new apartment: two boxes of books, two boxes of dishes, two boxes of booze, a box of miscellaneous, a guitar, and a suitcase of clothes. It's nice to know that everything I own can fit in one car.

Finishing my bottle of Jade 1901 (it was almost empty already, don't worry!).

HG absinthe and well water.

Cheap-ass New Amsterdam Gin and CO tonic (which is at least HFCS-free!).

:cheers: