DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

What was the name of it? Man I like session beers.

It's really just called "3 Point 5 Session Ale". It was really nice. Leaning towards the hoppy side as a good bitter should. No great complexity or anything, just a good clean foundation of malt, decent body, an appropriate "pale ale" level of bitterness (no big IPA or citrus bomb or anything like that), very drinkable.

My attempts at brewing beer like this years ago seemed to lean towards "hop water" ...

Love it. Only good bitter I can get here is london pride. I think it is at least 4%abv so a bit higher than a session ale.

Many years ago I had a business trip to outside-of-London, and there was a Fuller's Tied House in town. I was familiar with bottled London Pride and ESB from home, but at the pub they also had one called "Chiswick Bitter", which was the "ordinary" (session) beer. It was my first English beer in England. I was in heaven.

I didn't think it was too floral or perfumey. I thought it tasted synthetic. Is that a better word?

Frankly, "synthetic" comes across as somewhat insulting, but if it's really how the flavor grabs you, then, yes, it's a better word.

I think what irks me most is your statement that L'Ancienne is attempting to replicate something that cannot be replicated.

A) You have no evidence to back that up.

B ) As you previously mentioned, you've never tasted pre-ban absinthe, so how would you know to whether the genuine flavor characteristics of a Belle Epoque absinthe have been replicated (or at least very closely approximated). Brian (in his review) said the resemblance was scary. Steve Williams (in his review) said it compared favorably to Pernod Fils. I agree, although, I still think the astringence in the finish could be a bit more muted). The three of us have tasted quite a few pre-ban absinthes, so, please forgive me for dispensing with egalitarianism for a moment, but I think you need to sample a few century old marques before you make such a declarative statement.

Edited by Absomphe

I wasn't crazy about Perroquet or Pacifique at first.I waited a couple of months,and I like them very much now.Maybe if Songcatcher gives L'Ancienne a try down the road a bit,he might be pleasantly surprised. :cheers: .

Edited by redwun

"smelling like liquid band-aid"
I also find the mention of a camphorous note very interesting
I thought it tasted synthetic.

I remember getting a lot of all of those from the prototype that I was first sent. I think I relayed that as well.

All of those qualities seem to have aged out dramatically since I first opened it.

I didn't think it was too floral or perfumey. I thought it tasted synthetic. Is that a better word?

Frankly, "synthetic" comes across as somewhat insulting, but if it's really how the flavor grabs you, then, yes, it's a better word.

Youre right that was a poor choice of wording. Its hard to find a word to describe some thing I've never encountered before. I will ammend it. No insult intended. I have not the eloquence to make my thoughts understandable to everyone in day to day conversations. Much less in written text.

I think you don't give yourself nearly enough credit, Song Catcher. I find your written expressiveness to be quite evocative. And, to be completely honest, despite its deliciousness, and the flavor nuances that (IMO) do echo top echelon pre-ban, there is still something about even this latest batch of L'Ancienne that does slightly betray its youthfulness.

I remember getting a lot of all of those from the prototype that I was first sent. I think I relayed that as well.

All of those qualities seem to have aged out dramatically since I first opened it.

I remember those qualities initially from the prototype, as well, and, yes, they aged out nicely.

However, the 2011 was considerably smoother, somewhat softer, and more authentically pre-ban tasting than its predecessors, even immediately upon opening. I really look forward to what some further resting will reveal.

Edited by Absomphe

This has probably been asked & answered several times.Regarding brands that would get better with time: If i don't open a bottle,will it age the same as one that was allowed to breathe at one time? I'm really hoping to stash a bottle of L'Ancienne for a few years.

Hey. This thread is bloody big at 1001 pages.

Rum.........where's the rum.

I was told by an esteemed fellow that the greatest effects from age occur within the first year. Anything after that occurs at a slower rate. The benefits over the second year will be less than the first.

Opening it allows oxygen in to begin the oxidation process. Horrible for some spirits, but my bottle of BC is better than the day I first opened it. Way better.

I'll say this about L'Ancienne. If someone tomorrow told me that it was not true absinthe for any number of reasons or that it was made by bald monkeys from Oz, I'd still drink it and buy more once these so called monkeys made more. I find it THAT good.(disclaimer....I'm not implying Stefano is a monkey or that his absinthe is not absinthe.........but if he were then I'd call him Jack).

Edited by greytail

Gone, mate.

Duh.

Redwun...

I'm not really positive which approach is preferable, but I've always taken the latter one.

I'll usually pour out a single (or more likely a double :devil: ) dose from a new bottle, and then let that little extra airspace perform its magic on the resting bottle.

Edited by Absomphe

As you previously mentioned, you've never tasted pre-ban absinthe, so how would you know to whether the genuine flavor characteristics of a Belle Epoque absinthe have been replicated (or at least very closely approximated).

That's not true. He did. Two of them. Side by side with Ancienne. I don't know about ALL versions of Ancienne, but based upon what I've tasted, I say he was accurate. I don't think that "synthetic" was a poor choice of a word, either. Synthetic is not necessarily bad, but it's different from natural. Absinthe doesn't taste like it's 100 years old by way of any one-year (or whatever) process, and that's a fact. I'M NOT SAYING that Stefano made such a claim, but others have, and as far as I'm concerned, they're wrong.

Thanks Abs & Greytail. I recently did a side by side with my favorite blanche, Brut d'Alambic.I used "essai 2" from 2006 & their "essai 5" from 2009. While i loved both,the #2 made the # 5 seem almost harsh by comparison.Neither bottle had been previously opened.Could be the run though I guess.

Edited by redwun

I remember being impressed by that stuff; can't say what version it was, but it was at Eric's house with Eric, Sponge Bob, Grim, and some other people. Just drink what you like, to hell with the rest.

That's the bottom line, end of story™.

That's not true. He did. Two of them. Side by side with Ancienne.

Oops, my apologies, SC, I must have missed that. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

I had the Brut many years ago. I can still recall that flavor. Must have been 2005 .

Just drink what you like, to hell with the rest

Can't get any truer than that.

Edited by greytail

I'll usually pour out a single (or more likely a double :devil: ) dose from a new bottle, and then let that little extra airspace perform its magic on the resting bottle.

That's how Perroquet bottled and marketed their latest run. 700 ml in an extra thick,heavy 750 ml bottle.I thought it was just hype.

Edited by redwun

... No insult intended. I have not the eloquence to make my thoughts understandable to everyone in day to day conversations. Much less in written text.

Of course not ("No insult intended"). Anyone that's been paying attention to your posts since you've been here would know that you're just not the "insult" kind of guy.

And who are you trying to kid? I've read your reviews. For a newer reviewer (and absinthe drinker) I'd say some pretty astute observations.

I think you don't give yourself nearly enough credit, Song Catcher. I find your written expressiveness to be quite evocative.

I shoulda' said something like that. :twitchsmile:

... And, to be completely honest, despite its deliciousness, and the flavor nuances that (IMO) do echo top echelon pre-ban, there is still something about even this latest batch of L'Ancienne that does slightly betray its youthfulness.

However, the 2011 was considerably smoother, somewhat softer, and more authentically pre-ban tasting than its predecessors, even immediately upon opening. I really look forward to what some further resting will reveal.

If I remember your posts about this release, you only received this recently. I received it in December and I can tell you that, IMO, it began to not look so youthful only recently. As far as its predecessors go, I tasted the 2010 at GAAF twice, and I think the 2011 is a better effort all the way around.

This has probably been asked & answered several times.Regarding brands that would get better with time: If i don't open a bottle,will it age the same as one that was allowed to breathe at one time? I'm really hoping to stash a bottle of L'Ancienne for a few years.

I'd say stash away. I don't think it's going south anytime soon.

So, when I open my bottle? I will certainly NOT let anyone know here if I think it tastes like Vicks cough syrup. *laugh* :tongue: