• Please log in to reply
34373 replies to this topic

#18841 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

Black Russian's are one of my favorite orders when I can't control what is going into my drink. But then there was the time we were at a backwoods VFW in the middle of PA. The bartender asked what was in a Black Russian. I was presented a pint glass filled with the stated ingredients. Sadly, after 2 of those I made the mistake of asking that question that always seems to lead to bad thing: "You got any tequila back there?"

#18842 Le Loup

Le Loup

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

Going to pick up a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau, in the mood for that sort of thing tonight and I have feeling my friend still has a rack full of them.

I don't think I'm ever in the mood for a Beau Nouveau. Just aint my thang.

I feel ya Bri, I think Beau Nouveau tastes like kool-aid.

#18843 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

Pulled out a 1998 Chateau Carbonnieux. Drank more wine on recent trip than I have in years, need to dig into my old stash if only to clear out the whites.

#18844 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Black Russian's with Leopold Brothers French Press Coffee Liqueur..last evening..excellent

We have a lot of fun making the French Press Coffee Liqueur.....we make 10 gallon batches of coffee using the coarsest grind you've ever seen, and then put it in a water press (basically a big French Press where the force is applied using a water filled bladder instead of your and and a screen covered piston). This leaves a dusting of coffee grounds on the bottom of each bottle.

We bottle it while the coffee is still warm, and then let the bottle sit in our distillery for a month. During that time, it develops a lovely dark chocolate note that wasn't at all there the day we bottled it. That chocolate note really shines in White Russians.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Happy Turkey Day!

#18845 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

Black Russian's with Leopold Brothers French Press Coffee Liqueur..last evening..excellent

We have a lot of fun making the French Press Coffee Liqueur.....we make 10 gallon batches of coffee using the coarsest grind you've ever seen, and then put it in a water press (basically a big French Press where the force is applied using a water filled bladder instead of your and and a screen covered piston). This leaves a dusting of coffee grounds on the bottom of each bottle.

We bottle it while the coffee is still warm, and then let the bottle sit in our distillery for a month. During that time, it develops a lovely dark chocolate note that wasn't at all there the day we bottled it. That chocolate note really shines in White Russians.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Happy Turkey Day!

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you...

I will try the White Russian today...The French Press Coffee Liqueur adds an exquisite taste.. .
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#18846 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

*cough*brian*cough*

Sorry about that Odie. I'd rather not discuss why I wanted to save my last ones, but two of the remaining three were shared amongst the table today. I'd mentioned before that I had one reserved for today, but we decided it was well worth it to open the second.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18847 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

I'm finishing up that last of my Thanksgiving wines at this point--Trimbach Pinot Blanc, Turkey Flat rose, and Evesham Wood Pinot Noir. I'm also having a cup of coffee with a shot of Amarula in it. I'd love to make a cocktail, but after all of the cooking and cleaning I did between yesterday and today, I just don't have the energy to do more than pour and sip.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#18848 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

Balvenie 12 Doublewood paired with a few Ontario craft brews. There was this Discover Ontario Beer pack at LCBO.
HH

#18849 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

*cough*brian*cough*

Sorry about that Odie. I'd rather not discuss why I wanted to save my last ones, but two of the remaining three were shared amongst the table today. I'd mentioned before that I had one reserved for today, but we decided it was well worth it to open the second.

Just giving you a hard time Brian, it's all good! It's meant to be enjoyed and it sounds like enjoyed it was! I've got plenty of the 09 (case and a half..) and I'll find my 06 eventually! :cheers:

As for me .. drinking a ton of random beers lying around. A bit down today as this is the 4th straight year I spent Thanksgiving without my family .. and for the first time I spent it alone and did absolutely nothing. So, drinking was .. and still .. is in order.

I can be thankful at least that I got to spend it on American soil, instead of in Iraq like I did in 2006 and 2007.

But now I'm really hungry .. and have no food .. and everywhere is probably closed .. and my car has a fuel leak and can't be driven.

Talk about a sob story.

Cheers!

:pirate:

edit: Just decided to pull out a Dogfish Head / Sierra Nevada Life & Limb .. their very limited collaboration that came out over the last week or two.
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#18850 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:03 AM

Marteau Belle Epoque, Pernod Fils 1950, more MBE, Belle Amie 2, and L'Italienne.

It was a good Thanksgiving to spend with friends! :cheers:
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#18851 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:27 AM

Had a little La Matriesse and then a verte. :cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#18852 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:09 AM

Yesterday was just a sample sipping day. We sipped Gin, Gin, Genepy liquere, a couple beers and a Top Shelf Sazerac. I believe there was some 1911 Pernod Fils in there somewhere. Not an unpleasant day at all. ;)

Finished the evening with cool water while eating pies. Today we drive!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#18853 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,002 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:27 AM

I think the last drink of the trip should be special. By that time, I was ready for water, too. :laugh:
Thanks for your trouble, Bill!

#18854 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

Sipping a bit of English Harbour, looking forward to a family weekend. :cheers:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#18855 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

I'm on my 2nd Ramos Gin Fizz. Somebody stop me!

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#18856 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

Marteau Belle Epoque, Pernod Fils 1950, more MBE, Belle Amie 2, and L'Italienne.

It was a good Thanksgiving to spend with friends! :cheers:

yes it was. :thumbup:

sorry bout overwatering that last round... :paperbag3:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#18857 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

A bottle of Sangiovese red. Not a fan.

A bottle of Raspberry Porter. Too cloying.

A bottle of Hennepin. Thaaaaat's better. :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18858 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

Well, sometimes ya gotta check out what the 5:1 folks are used to tasting. Either way, it didn't dilute the good times! :drunk:
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#18859 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

I'm taking a break on the absinthe stash for a while and sipping some Innis and Gunn and a few historic scottish ales I found at the LCBO!
nasty prisms good sir

#18860 cowbwoy

cowbwoy

a wierd one

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

Moylans Hopsickle after a week and a half with no beer because my nose has been all stuffy
Gren mwe fret!

#18861 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

Excellent Walton Waters....
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#18862 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

scottish pine ale and it is excellent.... gonna try and lay off the sinthe for a while.... I got some nice bottles and kindof 'overindulged' on a few of them
nasty prisms good sir

#18863 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,753 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

Moylans Hopsickle after a week and a half with no beer because my nose has been all stuffy

Way to wake up those dulled olfactories! :cheers: :thumbup:

Stone/Maui/Ken Schmidt kona Coffee Macadamia Nut Coconut Porter.

Deep brown with a cream/tan head. Nice body with decent lacing. The Kona coffee is very evident in the aroma, but more integrated into the whole flavor profile, and the toasted coconut is also obvious, but one needs to taste a bit harder to pick up the macadamia esters. Nice balance overall with a dry, slightly bitter finish.

Initially, I thought I was really diggin' on this one, but as I'm approaching the end of the bottle, I'm almost feeling something akin to a sense of relief. I still find it quite tasty, but I couldn't imagine ever feeling to compelled to drink more than one onacuz the residual flavors end up being just a bit too mouth-coating in a slightly strange kinda way.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#18864 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

I'm having a Negroni. The Fancy Free that I made only minutes ago has already been claimed by someone else.

#18865 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

And now I'm having a Japanese. Drink Boy sure knows how to instruct one on mixing up some tasty beverages. :cheers:

#18866 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

Deep brown with a cream/tan head. Nice body with decent lacing. and the toasted coconut is also obvious, but one needs to suck a bit harder to pick up the macadamia esters.

Initially, I thought I was really diggin' on this one, but as I'm approaching relief I still find it quite tasty, but I couldn't imagine ever feeling compelled to swallow more than one onacuz the residual flavors end up being just a bit too mouth-coating in a slightly strange kinda way.

What the hell does "decent lacing" mean. I'm understanding that you're talking about a black dude but that part throes me off. Is it a crossdresser?

Anyway, I'm sipping Maudite and getting a good release after a long hard week of work.

#18867 odiedog52

odiedog52

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:39 PM

Way to wake up those dulled olfactories! :cheers: :thumbup:

Stone/Maui/Ken Schmidt kona Coffee Macadamia Nut Coconut Porter.

Deep brown with a cream/tan head. Nice body with decent lacing. The Kona coffee is very evident in the aroma, but more integrated into the whole flavor profile, and the toasted coconut is also obvious, but one needs to taste a bit harder to pick up the macadamia esters. Nice balance overall with a dry, slightly bitter finish.

Initially, I thought I was really diggin' on this one, but as I'm approaching the end of the bottle, I'm almost feeling something akin to a sense of relief. I still find it quite tasty, but I couldn't imagine ever feeling to compelled to drink more than one onacuz the residual flavors end up being just a bit too mouth-coating in a slightly strange kinda way.

I loved it and paid a pretty price to get a bunch of it sent out here from CA. When cold, it tastes kind of like an average coffee stout.. but as it warms, it totally evolves into something new and new elements of flavor emerge. It has a very different silky mouthfeel as you mentioned, and maybe its from some of the oil of the macadamia nut or coconut ... but I loved the beer.
www.MutineerMagazine.com

#18868 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,753 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

Yup, there was definitely more complexity that emeged as it warmed, but there was just something that struck me as a bit over-the-top (and, more importantly, not quite harmonious) about the buildup of the flavors on the palate by the end of the bottle.

Is it a crossdresser?

That depends.

Is that an attempt at humor? :tongue:

Anyway, lacing was originally ascribed to Belgian ales and I suspect most of the folks from there are probably what you asked, so the answer might be yes. :laugh:

#18869 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

That's my way of pointing out that porter and other such beuerages (coffee, wine, brandy etc...) can be described in the same way as belgian crossdressing black dudes.

#18870 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,753 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Those aren't so much into lace, butt they certainly have legs. :dev-cheers:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association