34208 replies to this topic

#15331 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Just whipped up my first ever Earthquake... Bluecoat, Rittenhouse, Doubs Mystique. Damn good thing I'm 15 feet away from my bed!
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#15332 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,724 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

It's a good day. :cheers:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#15333 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,668 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

It's a good day. :cheers:

Was it real good, and did you send any bad, bad people to the cornfield Anthony Joe?

Oh, wait... I forgot you don't watch TV. ;)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#15334 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

Damn. I hate cultural references that fly right by me and I hate to waste time goggling tv shit.
Hmmm, maybe I should just "cornfield" Absomphe's post. Problem solved? :g:

#15335 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,668 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:03 AM

But it's such a Twilight zone classic, (and from whence The Cornfield got its name) that I just figured you had to know it.

Teach me to ASSume. :rolleyes:

#15336 cowbwoy

cowbwoy

a wierd one

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

I just got back from a cask night featuring brews from Foothills in Winston Salem, Total Eclipse Stout, Hoppyum IPA and Pilot Mountain Pale Ale, the later 2 conditioned with dry hops. I also tried thier Indie Brown Ale on draft.
Gren mwe fret!

#15337 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

Oh, just some PF 1901 while preparing Poulet Vallée D'auge for dinner (see the Cookbook section). What a great hump day!
"Understanding is joyous." --Carl Sagan

#15338 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

And a fine looking recipe it is, too!

I'm wrapping up my second glass of absinthe and contemplating.... gin? Whiskey? Rye? Don't tell me life ain't grand! :cheers:

My "hump day" busted my ass. I lectured for 5 1/2 hours. My voice is shot. Lucky you guys!

#15339 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Update on the barrel project:

I've spoken with the boys at Avery, and it looks like we're going to have some fun with the Absinthe and Rum barrels first. To our collective knowledge, no one has made an Absinthe barrel aged beer before. They're going to come to the distillery for a few drinks in a month or two, and we'll talk about what we think would go well with the barrels. It should be fun. It's always nice to have fresh beer around!

We'll also be talking about putting together a small run of bierschnapps. Don't know how many of you beer geeks have had bierschnapps, but bad bierschnapps is a bit like kerosene.

Good bierschnapps is like a fine, malty dopplebock with a kick. Yum. You just have to fight like hell to keep the beer from being oxidized before distillation. I purge the entire still under a very slight overpressure before distilling with gentle heat.

I'll keep you posted, but I think that this could be long, and very fun friendship and barrel-exchange.

#15340 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

Life is indeed grand, but I have you beat Joe: My hump days involve lecturing from 9:45am to 6:30pm with two one-hour breaks (one of which is dedicated to lab prep). Other days aren't nearly as grueling, but this teaching overload is for the birds (whatever that means).

Is it May yet (= end of our semester)?

(But life is good). :cheers:

#15341 Attack Accountant

Attack Accountant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

And a fine looking recipe it is, too!

I'm wrapping up my second glass of absinthe and contemplating.... gin? Whiskey? Rye? Don't tell me life ain't grand! :cheers:

My "hump day" busted my ass. I lectured for 5 1/2 hours. My voice is shot. Lucky you guys!

I don't know about anyone else but I work at least 8 hours a day - usually more. What's this 5.1'2 hours? :tongue:
I think I'm funny but no one else does.

#15342 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

It's embarrassing, isn't it, C. Hoefler? I feel like such a wimp. I know what it's like to really work. I see loggers swing a chainsaw for 12 hours a day and I'm whining because I had to "talk" for 5 hours. Geeez, me.

#15343 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

I see loggers swing a chainsaw for 12 hours a day

Sounds like a dangerous way to handle a chain saw....
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#15344 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

I know. I've one-handed chainsaws while leaning against a tree more times than I can count. Ya gotta make 'em fall the right way!

#15345 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

I can't speak for Joe, but one must also must consider lecture preparation; grading; student advising; university, department, and discipline-related service; scholarship, etc. It's often an 80hr work week for me, but I'm in the first year of my tenure-track position, which is the most demanding. It gets easier, right Joe?

But I'm grateful to be employed! :cheers:

#15346 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

It's embarrassing, isn't it, C. Hoefler? I feel like such a wimp. I know what it's like to really work. I see loggers swing a chainsaw for 12 hours a day and I'm whining because I had to "talk" for 5 hours. Geeez, me.

I have always remained fairly active physically (e.g. marathon running, squash, power yoga), but lecturing saps my energy reserves like nothing else. It's a strange experience.

#15347 cowbwoy

cowbwoy

a wierd one

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

Update on the barrel project:

I've spoken with the boys at Avery, and it looks like we're going to have some fun with the Absinthe and Rum barrels first. To our collective knowledge, no one has made an Absinthe barrel aged beer before. They're going to come to the distillery for a few drinks in a month or two, and we'll talk about what we think would go well with the barrels. It should be fun. It's always nice to have fresh beer around!

We'll also be talking about putting together a small run of bierschnapps. Don't know how many of you beer geeks have had bierschnapps, but bad bierschnapps is a bit like kerosene.

Good bierschnapps is like a fine, malty dopplebock with a kick. Yum. You just have to fight like hell to keep the beer from being oxidized before distillation. I purge the entire still under a very slight overpressure before distilling with gentle heat.

I'll keep you posted, but I think that this could be long, and very fun friendship and barrel-exchange.

Sounds like loads of fun! I get most of Avery beers here, but not the really limited stuff, I must get that!

Bad bierschnapps is BAD nasty stuff. I've read that hoppy beers are a no go.

Now a nice hops spiced spirit could be damn good, or not.
Gren mwe fret!

#15348 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

It gets easier, right Joe?

Got me. I've been tenured for 15 years but for some strange reason, I'm teaching 26 credits this semester. Clearly, I'm not very bright.

#15349 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

lecturing saps my energy reserves like nothing else. It's a strange experience.

Agreed. Totally.

#15350 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

It gets easier, right Joe?

Got me. I've been tenured for 15 years but for some strange reason, I'm teaching 26 credits this semester. Clearly, I'm not very bright.

I apologize for the slight derailing of this thread, but my head is spinning in amazement! Twenty-six credits!

My overload brings me to 16 (9-12 is considered "normal" here). Fortunately, I've had a good year with publishing, hence my agreement that life is good.

Back to absinthe drinking! (Maybe some Vieux Carre).

-Chad

#15351 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

it looks like we're going to have some fun with the Absinthe and Rum barrels first.

I can't wait!

We'll also be talking about putting together a small run of bierschnapps.

:yahoo:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#15352 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

Yeah. 26. A full load here is 15. I get 6 credit for theatre production. I'm covering some courses for a colleague that bailed on his contract this semester. Twenty-fucking-six-credits.

On topic: I'm drinking. Firefly Sweet Tea. Damn good. :cheers:

#15353 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,668 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

I've spoken with the boys at Avery, and it looks like we're going to have some fun with the Absinthe and Rum barrels first. To our collective knowledge, no one has made an Absinthe barrel aged beer before. They're going to come to the distillery for a few drinks in a month or two, and we'll talk about what we think would go well with the barrels.

I would think that Avery's The Czar imperial stout would probably be the best choice for the rum barrel, whereas the absinthe barrel might be better suited to their Hog Heaven barleywine, which has a very malty backbone, and would probably meld nicely with the Pisco rumminess, There's also a hefty citric/piney bittersweet thing going on from the substantial hops that might blendwell with your herb bill.

Just a thought. It certainly sounds like it's shaping up to be a fun partnership, whatever the results!

#15354 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

CLB, grape based. As always, a coveted favorite.

I've never lectured for 5.5 hours but I've been on stage non-stop for 2 hours and that was exhausting.
Every profession or job has its challenges. And the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
I'm tired and waxing nostalgic.

:cheers: to all and to all a goodnight.
I am the wood nymph.

#15355 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

Fancy stuff out here tonight. I'll just sip some verte and count my blessings.

Ok, I'm done. *wink*

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#15356 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

Louching Clandestine

My roommate/ex & I agree to disagree on absinthe, I think it's the 15 year age difference. (He was a rebound) He was just standing here watching the fountian.

"How does it make you feel to be drinking inferior US absinthe, Rhonda? You can't hallucinate on that stuff."

"I don't know Brian, I didn't buy it with plans to hallucinate. There are better drugs for that."

He suddenly broke into a 'Wicked Witch of the West' cackle, 'I LOVE US absinthe! It's so FRUMPY!"

#15357 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

Now a nice hops spiced spirit could be damn good, or not.

One of my classmates at brewing school in Munich was Johannes Barth, the 5th generation owner of Barth hops (they also own HopUnion). Super guy, happened to be my age...so we tied one on out on the town quite frequently.

Anywho, once a year the European beer industry holds a massive trade show at the ginormous Messe in Nuremberg.....hospitality rooms up the yingyang, entire bottling lines set up, brewhouses too, beer, beer, and more beer. You get the idea.

Well, Barth Hops has a big booth, and does the palm pressing thing, and lots of contract signing during the show with brewers from all over the world. On the Saturday evening of the show, Barth hops rents out an entire restaurant, and invites clients to break bread and have some fun. On each and every table they had a several green bottles with some kind of cordial, as well as several bottles of vodka (there were a bunch of Russian brewers in attendance).

Well, it turns out that the green bottles were filled with Hopfentropf, which I later found could be roughly translated as "The worst idea for a liqueur ever invented by man". It was essentially a very bitter liqueur, made with what I can only think was leftover Cluster Hops, or some such crap that has no other quality other than bitter. After I took what was, sadly, my first shot, I grimaced, looked at my host and said "it's like my mouth is filled with HATE".

Well, that was it.....clearly they thought that that was the ticket for me for the evening. Brewing School had just ended, and I had endured several months of hazing since, being the only American brewer, I clearly couldn't brew my way out of a paper bag. Anyway, I told my host that no way, no how, was I going to drink that crap alone all night. So we indulged together. And it went on like that.

I crashed at a hotel with Mr. Barth, and the next morning, half giggling, we tried to put together just where our night went wrong. Hopfentropf was the answer, obviously. Mr. Barth eventually trotted into the bathroom, and after a few moments, I heard uncontrollable laughter together with hideous coughing. He stumbled back to the couch....apparently his pee reeked of hops to the point where he was wretching!!

I'll spare you from the rest of the details. Suffice it to say, I never drank that vile stuff again.

...and for crying out loud, Joe.....I hope you have a gaggle of TA's helping out!

#15358 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

Great story!

Um...community colleges don't have TAs or GAs. They actually expect us to teach. Blast!

#15359 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

On topic: I'm drinking. Firefly Sweet Tea. Damn good. :cheers:

That stuff is good! Watch out for the molasses in there, though. Drink too much and the next day your piss will smell like a waffle house. I speak from experience. :laugh:
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#15360 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

I follow the Blood Type diet.
Molasses is beneficial for me.
I need to knock back this glass of water and fix myself a tea!
I am the wood nymph.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association