• Please log in to reply
34208 replies to this topic

#34201 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

A pitty cuz A sounded like a great option.

Edited by m.a.mccullough, 20 October 2014 - 08:00 PM.

Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#34202 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

Lagunitas imperial stout and good ole trust worthy Jameson. For desert, if there is room, powers and Paddys. Going for the Irish trifecta.

#34203 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Sounds good.

I guess I don't have to tell you what I'm drinking. :laugh: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#34204 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

XD I think I'm pretty sure I know.

Edited by m.a.mccullough, 21 October 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#34205 autopsy

autopsy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Pernod 1910 thanks to mister Brian!

Unlouched: Strongly amber, as you can guess. But there is still some vegetal green hues present. 

Louched: I could have guessed that little water would be required to get a full louche out of this guy. I estimate roughly 1.5:1, but I did add a few more drops after the first taste so probably 2:1. The louched color has a murky amber-faint green color to it, a bit muddy looking similar to the other old bottles I've had. Louche is thick and opalescent. 

Nose: Honestly, when I first smelled the absinthe unlouched, I was underwhelmed. It smelled like a generic absinthe with no real significant characteristics that I could point to as being unique to this preban. However, the second you add water, the aromas are released and fill the room. Louched, there is complexity abound. There's an oak barrel aroma, a bit musty, moldy plank smell that's first noticeable, and although that sounds horrifying, it's really not. It reminds me of going to my grandparents house as a kid. It's kind of like with sherry - the yeasty smell/taste sounds horrible on paper, but in reality, it's quite nice. There's also a cinnamon, cardamom scent that I can't seem to place exactly. It's not quite there but pretty close. Of course, I still get elements of the anise and wormwood, but compared most absinthes I've had, it's a relatively small part of the aroma.

Taste: I definitely taste that woody, musty barrel flavor too. And wow, my tongue immediately numbs up. I've never had an absinthe go to that level of numbness so quickly. I really enjoy the numbness, honestly. I wish this bottle was still made commercially...

There's sweetness, but it's mild. There is a mild toffee flavor, but at the forefront is the wormwood and green anise. There's definitely that iodine-medicinal-sweet flavor which is all too rare in production absinthes today. There's no bite and really easy to drink. Honestly, I don't have a good way to describe the flavor. It's just a really, really good absinthe, with woody notes and would be suitable as an alternative anesthetic before a root canal. And that's not a bad thing at all. This is the kind of thing you just relax with. You don't need to think, it does that for you. 

I definitely now see what people meant when they said L'Ancienne is the closest thing to preban you can buy these days. But I can't help but wonder - what would fresh Pernod taste like? The years have definitely changed the absinthe. What I wouldn't give to know first hand.

http://i.imgur.com/UFHm48I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UfwKUnQ.jpg

#34206 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

Sounds like you are a lucky man tonight autopsy. Feel blessed to have tasted history! Someday I'll do the same. Til then your review keeps me inspired.

#34207 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Sinister 7.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#34208 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:46 PM

Crown Valley Brewing's Imperial Pumpkin Smash Stout.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#34209 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Extrait d' Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 1,776 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Blanche Traditionelle Brut d'alambic essai #5.

Still, just an outstanding fine drink with the most alluring aroma amd taste in harmonic balance. Truly a pleasure.

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)
Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association