DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Beelzebub

This has been something that has chapped my cheeks pretty royally for the duration of my involvement here... I get it, nobody (at this latitude, anyway)is gonna have a big outdoor absinthe party in January or February but that's the time I am free to do things like that.

I suppose that would really chap your cheeks.

Started the evening with a Vieux Pontarlier, brother came by, I offered a glass of Duplais verte. After dinner my wife and i had Pacifique. Now i'm having the Duplais. It's a freakin' absinthe orgy ova hea' :tongue: :cheers:

Edited by Songcatcher

Well scratch that... The bartender recommended against it and I didn't want to insult her by ordering it anyway. She recommended Roquette so I went with that. Interesting color, couldn't smell it during louche because the guy next to me was toasting his fucking sugar over his glass. :nono: Anyway, I will reserve judgement on this Roquette until I finish but it is spicy!

The bartender is an idiot IMHO. Not saying Roquette is bad (never tried it, I assume it's wonderful), but La Grenouille is awesome.

I loved it, and I had 1901, Eddy, Sauvage, and quite a few other top notch absinthes on hand when I tried it.

The bartender is an idiot IMHO. Not saying Roquette is bad (never tried it, I assume it's wonderful), but La Grenouille is awesome.

What he said.

Southern Tier Choklat today.

Edited by Absomphe

Tempus Fugit Negroni:

1/2 part Gran Classico Bitter

1 part Voyager Gin

3/4 part Carpano Antica Vermouth

Stir gently, strain, garnish with an orange twist.

THE best cocktail in the world...

Bitches!!!

Yep.

Yep X2. However, I'm out of Gran Classico....

Yep, it's still bitchin', Bitches! :cheerz:

Taste is a very personal thing. There are some folks I have tremendous respect for that agree with the bartender completely. I think La Grenouille is well-crafted but not exactly a traditional absinthe and I can see how it might conjure up strong feelings one way or the other. My feeling is, if you like what you have in your glass, enjoy it without dissing what your friend has in their glass. ;)

Me? Martini. I think I can bear a second glass in 3...2...

Then the bartender might have described it as such. I also have my preferences, but I font dismiss an offering just because it doesnt fit my palate. For example, Perroquette, didn't quite suit me, but I could tell it was a good absinthe, and wouldn't dissuade others from trying it.

Hey now! Watch your language, there. :)

I think La Grenouille is well-crafted but not exactly a traditional absinthe and I can see how it might conjure up strong feelings one way or the other.

Agree...it's tasty, but I know as someone who's tried a number of absinthes, I probably wouldn't use that one to introduce people to the drink.

Oftentimes when it comes to unique alcohol, bartenders want to ensure the customer won't be sending the drink back for another. With the beer community here, anytime I order myself a sour beer I get the staff BEGGING me to try a sample first before committing to a whole glass, because they either can't or won't let me send it back if I don't like it, not to mention the waste of a difficult to make, expensive craft beer. It's in the bartender's (and the bar's) best interest for you to love your drink, which oftentimes means they will suggest more "mainstream" offerings to unknown patrons.

Speaking of La Grenouille, I'm tasting Sam Adams Griffin's Bow, and I have to say, its flavor is almost a dead ringer for the frog! :shock:

There's a lot of that wonderful mallow quality, along with various tropical fruits, and some very floral hops, all of which combine to form the best (accidental) imitation of Stefano's masterpiece I've ever tasted. Will wonders never cease? I hope not.

Seriously, anyone who's a fan of La Grenouille should seek this barleywine out. :thumbup:

Edited by Absomphe

I'm sold. But for now, I'm doing Buffalo Trace mint juleps to nurse my right foot, which hurts like a :censor3: after running this morning.

2X

More of the cat eye team here.

Julie will soon rectify my situation. Actually I had to ask to delay shipping onacuz my better .5 is in southern Louisiana this week.

BTW certain brand was out of stock there too. :(. I'll just have to place another order when it gets replenished. :)

Slurs are uncalled for. Even if they are done in jest.

I refered to the missguided bartender as an idiot, because to dismiss quality hooch just because it's a bit different is silly.