DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Voyager gin over ice. It's been a fairly productive day and this is hitting the spot.

Pretty nice to watch the ice melt as you sip. Happy happy happy!

Cheers!

Went to a Christmas Ships viewing party on the Columbia River this evening, where I enjoyed a few glasses of Baco Noir from Girardet Vineyards (Willamette Valley, OR

The best red wine in the WHOLE WORLD!

imo.

Had the Anchor Merry XMas Happy New Year Ale last night. I like this years batch, the Christmas spice is more subtle than usual. Last year I thought it was a bit too much.

Tonight... La Coquette

Fantome Chocolat.

Very yeasty, very Bretty, very spicy, and lactic with a more subtle, dryish chocolate not going on than I expected.

All in all, a fairly typical Fantome, home of some of the world's most atypical farmhouse ales.

Went to a Christmas Ships viewing party on the Columbia River this evening, where I enjoyed a few glasses of Baco Noir from Girardet Vineyards (Willamette Valley, OR

The best red wine in the WHOLE WORLD!

imo.

It was marvelous, big flavors, loved it! It had changed since we first had it at the Newport Seafood & Wine Festival last February - then we tasted chocolate on the mid-palate, this time not so much. But it was soft and lovely, low in tannin at the start, and opened up quite a bit by the second glass 30 minutes later...

It's been a long time since I've posted here (long story... breaking off an engagement, moving, etc...), but it's good to browse through the thousands of posts and see so many people I remember and so many newer people who love our wonderful drink.

Anyway, tonight I am drinking....

water.

I'm saving the good stuff for my next day off.

Fantome Chocolat.

Very yeasty, very Bretty, very spicy, and lactic with a more subtle, dryish chocolate not going on than I expected.

All in all, a fairly typical Fantome, home of some of the world's most atypical farmhouse ales.

My fav. brewery? This year I have heard that they have cleaned up thier yeast? I do know that the new bottles are capped only, no corks. all of the corked bottles locally now are in my place.

The weekend has been good. Highlights are Jewbelation 12, De Koninck Winter Koninck, Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998, and La Choulette Framboise.

Cheers!

My fav. brewery? This year I have heard that they have cleaned up thier yeast? I do know that the new bottles are capped only, no corks. all of the corked bottles locally now are in my place.

Cleaned up their yeast? No corks? Holy xit, what's next, forced filtration? :shock:

I wonder if they've been purchased by InBev. ;)

Actually, I've always thought their yeast was a tad dirty, even for Brett. Plus, no matter how long one lets a bottle rest, it's nearly impossible to get a relatively yeast-free pour.

Starting off the evening (OK, so it's still the afternoon) with an exceptionally delicious Sazerac made with Chalfonte VSOP and what has just become my favorite whiskey: this year's bottling of Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye. Folks, this stuff is phenomenal--bold, spicy, incredibly smooth. And very potent. It's bottle proof--uncut and unfiltered--clocking in at around 67% ABV (absinthe territory!). It's sublime on it's own, with just a little water or soda to open it up, but it really does make a great Saz.

I think I'm in :heart: .

It's all about rye this evening. I found this tasty little recipe on another forum and just had to test it out. :thumbup:

2 oz Rittenhouse rye

1 oz freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice

1/2 oz maple syrup

3-4 dashes of Fee Bros grapefruit bitters

A nice big batch of Manhattans to kick this wimpy cold's ass. I hate colds.

The Punk saw Drinkboy's latest and started flipping through. After the Manhattans, we tried the Clover Club. He was intrigued by the recipe with the raw egg and I must say, it was damn pretty. It's not my favorite way to treat gin but not a drop went to waste.

...my favorite whiskey: this year's bottling of Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye...

Were you able to pick it up locally, or did you snag a bottle from an online vendor? I have been unable to find it anywhere in Atlanta... :angry: