DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

especially if we're talking about La Grenouille

I'm having now as a second option a glass of CAB's Butterfly, where every bitterness has been carefully distilled away. And yet it feels very bitter :g:

That stuff's too sweet for my palate, Carlo.

I dunno, maybe you need to make like our Fearless Leader, and take your absinthe with a hefty lump of sugar. :biggrin:

Edited by Absomphe

That stuff's too sweet for my palate, Carlo.

I dunno, maybe you need to make like our Fearless Leader, and take your absinthe with a hefty lump of sugar. :biggrin:

Butterfly is sweet, I agree, but in its own subtle way which I like. I never add sugar. My palate is back to normal tonight :holiday:

Tonight: Eichelberger 60, Adnams Rouge. Then, after a lovely jazzy tango concert (Javier Girotto) at Blue Note in Milan, Libertine 55.

Milan? Is there a good place to enjoy some absinthe, there? I will be visiting in a few months.

I know no place, sorry. There is an Italian forum I could ask to, but is currently down for migration.

I started early this afternoon with Germain-Robin single barrel V384 unblended brandy - aged 11 years - followed by Marie Duffau Bas Armagnac aged 30 years. Pleasant after a more or less shit day contemplating our future great leader - whoever it is. Sorry - since non-absinthe controversy is rightly frowned upon.

La Grenouille. There's a funny phenomenon going on in these last day: all absinthes seem now much bitterer than usual. What happened to my tongue?

When I returned home from a business trip a week ago, I found my palate seemed to be all messed up. I had one glass each of VC, Lucid and Terminus, and all three tasted like they'd been distilled through a buffalo's digestive tract. This continued for a couple more days, but thankfully has now let up and they taste normal to me again. My nose was kind of stopped up at the time, so I'm blaming it on that.

I have had the grand cru. My least favorite of the NC offerings. Not horrible though.

I'd stake my wig, and Abs for that matter, he has already tried that one.

Edited by greytail

I'd stake my wig, and Abs for that matter, he has already tried that one.

But, of course. :euro:

Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout today.

I really like old stock too.

I was unfortunate that this years cellar reserve did not make it to my neck of the woods.

It was apparently aged in rye whiskey barrels.

I haven't seen that one either. :shock:

Apparently (after checking Untapp'd), they also brewed a wheat barrel aged Cellar Reserve in 2014.

Both are extremely favorably reviewed, so I'll be sure to keep :fork: for them.

Melvin 2X4 today.

Edited by Absomphe

Just had the last bit of La Grande Josiane. Another of my "last of the supply, no known available replacement" bottles. Back when I had three of these, I was sure I would never run out.

Two glasses of La Grenouille. And then strawberries marinated in Terminus: sublime! No sugar added, just good quality strawberries and top quality absinthe.

Interesting - how long did you marinate them for? Did you keep them chilled? Straight-up Terminus or louched?

Ten minutes, straight-up Terminus, at room temperature. They were nice strawberries, sweet by their own, just out from the fridge.