DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Prairie makes some delightful brews. If you get your hands on some Pirate Bomb........It will be worth the effort.

For the last coupe years we have been drinking local brews.

Some have really nice products.

I have some Prairie Bomb in my desk right now. Cheers!

I'm sure my faithful local beer emporium will get its wonderfully greedy paws on some Pirate Bomb in the not-too-distant future, Bill.

I can certainly imagine that a little rum barrel would make a terrific beer even more spectacular.

I think I'll open a Bomb posthaste.

Cheers! :cheers:

Great Lakes Oatmeal Stout. Not bad. Very nice roasted malt character. Getting a lot of coffee and chocolate (even milk chocolate) on the taste and smell; some liquorice too. Finishes dry, but it is a very sweet brew (kind of like if you mixed a dry Irish stout with a milk stout). The only problem with the beer is the body. It's way too light to be an oatmeal stout. Ah, well. It's still a solid brew, and it'll keep us sustained until their Blackout Stout hits the shelves.

Blackout (particularly the barrel aged version) is one really solid example, that's for sure.

Another Prairie Bomb! today, speaking of really solid imperial stouts.

Don't worry. We've got some Ten Fidy and some Old Rasputin to hold us over too. :headbang: As far as bourbon or whisky barrel-aged beers go, we've never really enjoyed them all that much. That being said, we do enjoy oak-aged beers (the Oak Aged Yeti being a prime example). With that said, however, late-fall and winter are the best times for beer. So many stouts to enjoy. :dribble:

Edited by Alfred Jarry

Firestone Walker Stickee Monkee 2015. and, for comparison purposes only ( I'm a liar)...

Absomphe, on 09 Oct 2015 - 2:32 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 08 Oct 2015 - 4:59 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 05 Oct 2015 - 2:27 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 03 Oct 2015 - 2:19 PM, said:snapback.png

Fremont Brewing Brew 1000.

Followed by a bit of Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail, for a bit of the bitter to keep the oh-so delightfully sweet in check.

Fremont Kentucky Dark Star Coffee 2015.

They upped the alcohol from 11% to 14.5% this year, so there's a bit of excess heat, but it's more than compensated for by a massively creamy body, and absolutely incredibly rich and deep flavors of bourbon, chocolate, marshmallow and coffee flavors coat the mouth like a velvet blanket. Wow!

Clearly, an oak-aged version would better suit the vinous quality of such a quaffable (albeit semi-potent) potable, good sir. As a wise man once stated, when it comes to barrel-aged beers: "It's like trying to drink whisky from a bottle of wine." And we are no honky cat... even though we have seemingly lived multiple lives.

Firestone Walker Stickee Monkee 2015. and, for comparison purposes only ( I'm a liar)...

Absomphe, on 09 Oct 2015 - 2:32 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 08 Oct 2015 - 4:59 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 05 Oct 2015 - 2:27 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 03 Oct 2015 - 2:19 PM, said:snapback.png

Fremont Brewing Brew 1000.

Followed by a bit of Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail, for a bit of the bitter to keep the oh-so delightfully sweet in check.

Followed by a Barrel Aged Narwhal Imperial Stout. :thumbup:

Edited by Absomphe

Flying Dog - Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout.

Very, very earthy on the nose (it is brewed with oysters after all). Smells like potting soil and dried mushrooms (in a positive way). Charred wood, coal, and ash seem to be present as well. Good amount of coffee and roasted malt though. Taste is rather light-bodied, fairly-well carbonated and slightly bitter. Not a bad beer by any means, but nothing that'll blow your socks off. The aroma is really interesting though. A nice change of pace.

We've tasted pearl before. Hexagonal aragonite crystals of calcium carbonate are a bit too base for our liking, however (even though they do counter the acidity of certain wines and spirits). Still, pearls do well with possessions; especially when one is possessed by a strong spirit (which is good for soused people like ourselves). The Emerald Isle as it is known (home of the moonstones and Goddess Esmeralda) is where crystal-gazing can occur as well. The pearl, indeed, has many properties. But you are correct with your initial assessment. Pearls are lousy on the palate. :dead:

Edited by Alfred Jarry