DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Roquette 1797 again. Only my second glass so the jury is out. I seriously do like it. It is clearly exceptional. But the flavors are just so........ different. I know that it only uses a few herbs. To my still novice palate it's primarily wormwood, so there seems to be something 'missing' compared to others. And yet... I keep going back for another sip and thinking damn, this really is interesting.

When I was a kid growing up in New England I developed a taste for Moxie soda which endures to this day. I love the stuff. Most people hate it. Some love it on first taste, some grow to love it, though most people I know never give it a second try. I think Roquette is my modern Moxie. It's only a guess at this point but I think by the end of the bottle I'll be a big fan. If not, I will still have zero regrets for buying the bottle, unlike Pernod or Muse 2004. This may or may not end up being to my taste but I can recognize that it is seriously good for what it is and I definitely like what I'm tasting, even if I'm not instantly seduced as with all the Jades I've had.

And the aftertaste is long, lingering, and lovely. The best part.

I have to give them credit for making something so unique, and of such evident quality -- even if it is so different.

Roquette is pretty damn bold. I really got the impression of a more colonial, older type of flavors, vs. the super Frenchy, round, smooth (and almost more lady-like) qualities that most other absinthe recipes have.

Then again I'm a history nerd and a bit of a romantic, so my mental story for the flavors is probably not at all grounded in reality.

Roquette is a favorite of mine.Loved it as soon as I tried it.I'm from the east coast as well,and drank Moxie obsessively as a kid.The taste was sorta like angostura bitters soda.Hadn't seen it in years until I saw it in six packs recently at a grocery store and almost went for it.Gonna stop in and see if they still carry it.Hopefully they haven't changed the recipe.Thanks for the reminder and the blast from the past.

Roquette is a favorite of mine as well, but tonight I am enjoying the Jade V.S. 1898, which I find somewhat similar.

Drinking homebrew and packing for camping in Glacier tomorrow at Kintla Lake which sometimes has the world's most beautiful sunrises.

th_Kintla09022_zpsec44dc36.jpg

Oude Quetsche Tilquin Lambic Ale from Tilquin Brewery in Rebec, Belgium.

The plums elevate this ethereal sour to extraordinary heights.

This is my new favorite sour of all time, eclipsing even the incredible Russian River Supplication.

Last couple evenings I've had Earthquakes......I think. Tell me the French name for it and I'll have a better idea.

:)

Now there's a manly man. Me? Beer and a margarita.

Two Leopold's/Overholt Sazeracs with dinner, now a nutty latte while I wait for the mister to finish at work

Why, it's Hendricks with cucumber shavings, of course! In Cincy for work for what I hope to be almost the last time.

I'm going to drink a lovely little Growers Champagne tonight. Why? Because something very good (from my perspective) happened to someone who is very bad (from my perspective) and I plan to celebrate that cosmic "karma" smackdown with some high class bubbles (even if I do have a cold). So there. :harhar: