DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Sipping on a Duplais Balance. A wonderful drink. Its the second bottle of absinthe Ive owned and a massive step up from the "gentle" initiation I gave myself with the Lemercier 45.

Roquette 1797. Certainly one of the most interesting absinthes I've tasted to date. I will need to taste it a few more times before seriously judging. But one thing became evident very quickly: this requires a higher level of dilution than I normally do. But at 75%, I guess that's to be expected. The flavors were much more balanced when I pushed it up a bit, probably about 4.5:1 (I didn't measure precisely). I will say that the fnish/aftertaste is quite wonderful, and lingering.

I can understand the diversity of opinions in the tasting notes.

Trying a Reverie at the Absinthe Salon. It's a new Australuan brand that just won a silver medal at the IWSC. Very different to anything I've had before, very subtle and smooth while remaining interesting. Definitely keen to try more

Yep Sahiri. The quinine balances it out nicely too. Some folks still believe in the myth that there is no quinine in it. I love Lillet with a passion, but would try Cocchi Americano in a heartbeat. Both are great drinks that are very versatile. ;)

. I love Lillet with a passion, but would try Cocchi Americano in a heartbeat. Both are great drinks that are very versatile. ;)

If you love those two, you're going to go nuts for some of the stuff that Tempus Fugit is coming out with soon. Some of the WSers got to try a bunch at Tales thanks to Peter. Grim's addition of citrus peel put it over the top.

I tried Muse Verte 2004 again. For whatever reason, this time it showed better louche. And very slightly better taste. But zero aroma. None. Zilch. And after a few sips I said this is a waste of time. It wasn't revolting but it sure wasn't fun.

I moved on. I finally opened the bottle of V.S. 1898 I carried back from Paris a couple of months ago. What a stunning contrast. Glorious. Very much in the Jade style but somewhat softer than PF 1901 or Edouard. But what a room-filling aroma, and beautifully balanced flavors.

I had tasted it in Paris and it was my favorite of the few I tried there. Since then I've had at least 15 others. It's a bit of a toss-up whether it's still the best, but it's certainly in the top tier.

I fear the Muse 2004 is destined for the drain. What a waste of good money. But life's too short to drink bad absinthe -- especially when so many good ones are easily obtained.

If you love those two, you're going to go nuts for some of the stuff that Tempus Fugit is coming out with soon. Some of the WSers got to try a bunch at Tales thanks to Peter. Grim's addition of citrus peel put it over the top.

I got to try the T.F. Kina just a week or so ago... stunning. Probably the best Vesper I've ever had, but much like the Gran Classico, you need to watch proportions. Like all the T.F. commissioned stuff, there is nothing shy about it.