Sign in to follow this  
greytail

Capricieuse 72

I swear, I'm going to have an external hard drive dedicated to absinthe data, I can't keep track of everything in my little peabrain!

Almost time to place another order. Has anyone on the forum actually tried it, yet?

I would like to know too. Seems as though the 72 version would last longer, for me at least. It would mean diluting it more to kick the higher alc. content into submission and thus meaning a longer drink. I find that the 53 degrees goes too quickly, but then it might just be its incredible taste.

I'll throw in my 2 cents since nobody else has actually offered an opinion here. I like the Capricieuse. Bugnon's Clandestine is still probably my favourite La Bleue but the Capricieuse is quite good. The wormwood is more up front than the Clandestine and the higher proof packs a little more punch, of course. For some reason, it seems to lack some of the balance and simple charm of the Clandestine. Nonetheless, I've killed a bottle of the Capricieuse and my second bottle probably won't last too long either.

I tried the Capricieuse yesterday, and I found it tasty. Unfortunately I cannot compare it with the Clandestine 53, since I haven't tried that one. All I can say is that it was surprisingly similar to Kübler 53. The Kübler is somewhat "smoother", though, perhaps one could say that it is better balanced as well.

On the whole, I think the Capricieuse is a very good blanche, and well worth buying. If you like the Kübler, you are going to like this one too.

Whos' tried it????

I just got this one on Saturday.

This is my first blanche. It's very 'clean' tasting compared to the vertes I've tried. For reference, the other absinthes I've tried are the Eduard 72, Montmarte, and (along with the Capricieuse 72) Eichelberger 68.

I like it quite a lot. Very crisp, not as complex as the vertes. I want to buy another bottle, but LdF is out of stock already!

sold by LDF due to many requests...

Can't understand. My brut d'alambic is developing in a much nicer way now that it's watered down to 60%.

There's little point in having a high proof for a blanche, in my opinion.

I think it would be better than the Clandestine.  Higher proof equals more herbal oils per bottle.

So? We're not drinking it per bottle, are we?

Of course, if I were to choose between an 81% and 53% bottle for the same price, I'd pick the 81% and add distilled water. But the higher proof bottles are usually more expensive as well.

They’re pretty critical of the Capricieuse over at Absinth Guide. Even tho it’s based on the same Charlotte recipe as the 53, it’s supposedly a lot thinner in the herbal department, the implication being that Bugnon diluted with neutral alcohol to final product abv.

Knowing this, I mixed my first drink of it Saturday night for laundry, just 4 oz. of the Cap and 12 oz. of water along with a handful of ice in a SS travel mug. Going mainly for the alcoholic concentration after dilution from the ice melting, and I didn’t want to waste my Bd’A on such a heretical down and dirty louching technique.

The first sip was surprising full bodied and sweet, maybe because of floating globules of anethole from its condensation on the ice and its subsequent melting, but the last of the drink was still tasty and ample. A pleasant surprise, considering my expectations.

Of course I’ll try again under more optimal conditions, but I don’t think I’m disappointed with my purchase.

I've killed a bottle of the Capricieuse and my second bottle probably won't last too long either.

Mine wont either, Lord Stanley

The Kübler is somewhat "smoother", though, perhaps one could say that it is better balanced as well.

I'll take the Kübler over it ,Mindshifter, cause its just a tad HOTT with the higher ALC goin on...

I don’t think I’m disappointed with my purchase.

Agreed jacal!

Bump: Have been trying a bottle and absolutely loving it, better than the Alandia Suisse La Bleue, I skipped La Clandestine for its stronger relation and have no regrets, delicious both in aroma and taste, creamy and intense.