Sign in to follow this  
newtothegreenhour

Aloxinum anyone?

Hey again everybody, it seems like forever. I was strolling across some books in the barony library and found a reference to a drink known as Aloxinum, here it is in full

aloxinum, a drink, honey wine, or mead mixed with absinthe

this was written by my man Pliny the Younger in an essay on Drinks of Phrygia in the 300's. I was wondering if anyone had any further info on said drink. Thanks much as always

In this context, 'absinthe' doesn't mean the drink we know, but simply wormwood. They didn't distill back then.

A few things here.

Pliny the Younger DIED in 117ad, so this is already suspect info.

Second, as folks have pointed out, distillation wasn't around in the 300's. (Distillation was invented by the Arabs less then 800-900 years ago, and was strickly medicinal for quite some time thereafter. (mainly because Muslim's couldn't drink alcohol.)

Absinthe, being distilled, wasn't created until the late 1700's, and wasn't remotely popular until a good 50 years later.

I'd have zero interest in combining absinthe and mead, even though I love both of them on their own, as well as Retsina ('pine-wine' from Greece). Why fuck with 2 good things?

I bug my SCA friends when I want mead. I bug the WS when I want absinthe. Best never to confuse the two.

:D