Absomphe

Eichelberger 68

Drinking a glass this evening and I am absolutely amazed at how similar it is to the Montmartre

I don't see it.

There's a "spiceyness" I agree, but is it cinnamon? It's not as "hot", and it's a wee bit smoother.

I also don't pick up any citrus flavors in the "Ike" like I can in the Montmartre.

Not to mention the mint that weakens my knees in the Montmartre.

I agree that the "traditional" absinthe flavors are more balanced,

but I think this one is coming from a different angle.

The only similarity I find between the Eichelberger and the Montmartre is that they are both well made absinthes using rather idiosyncratic recipes.

Had another glass. It has improved with age, with the wormwood coming out more in the aftertaste and the colour getting a nice feuille-mort tinge to the green. The only criticism is there is a slight "waxy" taste part way through that seems out of place, but I still think this is the highest quality Verte you can buy. The taste may not be for everybody, but it has less flaws than any other brand. I'd be curious to see if the quality could be maintained if it's scaled up to a few hundred liters at a time rather than 30.

I don't see why not.

The Montmartre is distilled in far greater quantity, and it's a quality product, sans the Jade funkiness, even if the cinnamon isn't to everyone's liking.

Just tried the Eichelberger tonight and I must say that it's not one of my favorites. Maybe I've gotten to used to the "floral" and "herbal" tastes and associated it with absinthe. This one tastes more..."earthy" than anything.

Still, I think this is one that I'll try now and again and offer to friends who aren't fans of the more anise-based absinthes.

Life is good when one has a bottle of a nazi-sounding absinthe on hand.

The Eichmann kicks ass, even if it does sound like it should be tried for crimes against humanity.

Yes, but it ends in berger, which more than compensates for it's scary beginning, at least as an absinthe frame of reference.

That looks wonderful! Nice glass, as well. I believe Hiram had posted a link for a store selling those. I may have to do some research....and buy some of this "Ike"

I'll bet none of them ever held absinthe! Thanks for the link. When I saw it, I realized that's where I recognize them from. I already have three sets of glasses and am the only one in the house that drinks the stuff. I'm suprised that the wifey never uses them for wine.

Very nice photos elfn.. This thread may have convinced me of my next order. Currently waiting on some Montmartre from FdL...come on monkeys

I don't like this one as much as the Eduard or Capricieuse....maybe better with than the Ed....I have a hard time remembering it. DEFINITELY better than the Montemarte.

I'm going to try another glass after this glass of Capricieuse.....maybe it takes a few glasses.

I'm with you myktejae. I can't wait to place my next order, which will definately include the Ike. Also,I enjoyed the Monmartre. It was definately not like the others, but yummy nonetheless. It was always a surprise.

Has anyone noticed that a strong peppermint smell/taste has developed from the first official release of the Eichelberger (verte)? I've had a bottle laying around since it was first put on sale and tried it again last night and noticed the citrus has turned into a peppermint.

Interesting. I'll have to give it another go tonight.

Meanwhile, why don't you have a mosey over to the Newcomer Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself?

Has anyone noticed that a strong peppermint smell/taste has developed from the first official release of the Eichelberger (verte)?

No. Mine has become more balanced, more fragrant and totally "feuille morte" instead of green, but I cannot detect a lot of peppermint.

Mine has balanced out with age too. I think the bottles currently available are aged longer than the first offering anyway. There might be some peppermint in there, but I detected more of a cinnamon/coriander combination. I think the wormwood he's using might be adding a minty nuance as well.

FWIW, every time I give the Ike Verte to someone who is relatively new to absinthe, they flip over it and decide their new favourite beverage is absinthe. Good job Deep Forest for winning over new converts to absinthism!

No. Mine has become more balanced, more fragrant and totally "feuille morte" instead of green, but I cannot detect a lot of peppermint.

Is it common for it to change color so much in less than a year? Mine is kept in the cool basement in a cardboard box to keep it from light and mine, too, has changed color (and taste).