Absomphe

Eichelberger 68

I would suggest the BdF or Kalnacher for blanche and Jade Edouard or Verte Suisse for verte.  You know you have to try all four of those eventually anyway.  It would be hard to judge the Jades having only tried the NO (my least favorite of the three-now four).

I really don't find anything redeeming about the Kalnacher. I was disappointed.

Hey, if were drinking and buying so much of this stuff, we should be getting some sort of a quantity discount. Shouldn't we?

:unsure:

HA!

I really don't find anything redeeming about the Kalnacher.  I was disappointed.

There is nothing redeeming about the ballknocker

It makes a good setup for something better.

Christmas eve I introduced my dad to absinthe. ( he had introduced me to pastis at 16 )

I was making myself the little mini-bottle of Kallnacher that I got free from Markus in a large order.

My dad tried it and liked it, but didn't rave.

The next night, Christmas, I made him a glass of the Nouvelle Orleans I had given him for Christmas. ( and for those of you that remember, yes, my stepmother also gave me a bottle of NO! pure coincidence, she had no idea what I liked. )

When my dad tasted that, he said "NOW we're onto something!!"

Hartsmar, Absomphe, and Wild Bill. Since you guys are the only ones who have tried it and have posted reviews/opinions, maybe you can shed just a little more light on its unique character. By the way, nice pictures Bill at LFV (showoff :P ).

You all have indicated that there is a definite 'twist' that would differentiate it from the more traditional style verte, say a Jade for example. The extent to how obvious or 'up-front it is, is what I'm interested in.

In comparing it to the Montmarte, Bill indicates that the uniqueness, though more subtle, is more of a peppery note vs. cinnamon. Hartsmar picked up notes of citrus in both aroma and taste and Absomphe agreed, but stated that it is still more in the vein of a traditional absinthe than the Montmarte. Hartsmar reinforces that by saying "It provides a very classic absinthe character but with that little extra something to make it stand out".

So, just how much in the background would you say the citrus/spiciness is? Is it so detectable that the average drinker would pick on it like with the Montmarte? I'm not so much concerned with the smell as much as with taste. I would enjoy the addition of a very subtle taste of citrus or pepper, like say the mint that is added in some, because it (mint) blends with the other herbs and accentuates them but doesn't overpower. Although I appreciate the Montmarte for its uniqueness, I find it difficult sensing anything but that prominent flavour which, for me is distracting. I'll hang up now and hopefully listen to your responses. :)

Elf, the citrussy tones that I noticed in the Eichelberger are, in no way overbearing, or really prominent. They simply add a refreshingly subtle background flavor, which melds beautifully with the more traditional flavors.

Actually, citrus tones were found in pre-ban absinthes of high quality. I believe it was Deluge, over a Fee Verte, who tasted such tones in Pernod Fils.

The "peppery" quality, I believe, is more of a subtly dry and minty bitterness from the wormwood, perhaps melding with coriander, IMHO. In any casr, that flavor is also nowhere near prominent, but well incorporated into the total flavor profile.

As I sipped more, and more of the Eichelberger, I think the flavor that stood out the most to me was actually the fennel, which is on the floral and fruity side, and of course, very traditional.

As far as waiting for March is concerned,

I ordered the Doubs from Oxy/LdF and the Ike from Markus on the same day. They got here on the same day. ( Ordered thurs, arrived Mon )

And Markus' packing materials are better, IMHO.

Why wait?

Markus is great but 50 Euros for shipping is crazy (more expensive than LDFs already pricy courier). That's almost 2 whole bottles of Ike. I just use his economy shipping.

True.

However, even using the courier, four bottles of Eichelberger from Markus is still slightly cheaper than four bottles of Montmartre from LDF.

I'll be curious to see what LDF's price for the Ike will be.

You guys have me convinced. A bottle of the Ike is going to be in my first order this week along with three other selections. I can't wait. I'll check back in here when it arrives. :cheers:

I tried the Ike last night.

I didn't sink it.

It tasted somewhat like the stuff that used to come from the moon.

Given that the last courier from the moon returned on December 19th, 1972, I'd wager the cost was prohibitive. Plus, given the limited commercial absinthe availability during the early 70's, I'd also wager some sort of time travel would have been required.

Verte Luna or bust...

I can talk adjectives, not herbs, because I'm a pretty boy with lint for brains. One day I'll take Andrew's herb seminar and start talking sense. In the meantime....

The Ike (pardon my gayness) gets my vote as the Audrey Hepburn of commercial absinthes. It's well-bred, elegant, and clean. There's no muddiness, funk, or gimmickery; no brash gestures or "double-dog-dare-ya-to-like-me" learning curve. Its elements are balanced and svelte. I give it a "wow," and I say get it.

My new CO short list....

Eichelberger

Jade Edouard and Suisse Verte

Clandestine