Absomphe

Eichelberger 68

I'm tasting a glass of the newly released commercial version of Eichelberger 68, and I'm really blown away.

To cut to the chase, here's my review.

Eichelberger 68 Limited Edition (Commercial Release).

COLOR BEFORE WATER 9/10

Appears to be a somewhat deeper shade of green than observed in the original release, being a most attractive medium peridot in tone.

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10

Very nice, slow, and thick louche, swirling from the bottom up, and lovely to watch.

Mostly opaque, with a slight opalescence.

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10

Retains a decent amount of the original green.

Still pale, but attractive.

AROMA 26/30

Neat, the aroma is very balanced, with no trace of funk.

There is no excess alcoholic heat, and a lovely perfumed anise and fennel is what I detect the most.

I don't know if a small proportion of grape spirit was used in this recipe, but I detect a bit of that in the nose, as well.

Louched, there is a complex herbal/floral scent, which is extremely appetizing.

I would have rated this even a point or two higher, if it had been more room-filling, although the scent was detectable from a few feet away.

MOUTHFEEL 8/10

Rich and milky, with a silky texture.

Not as creamy as the Jade Edouard, for example, but quite ample.

TASTE 18/20

This is the strongest aspect of this absinthe.

Very clean, with a lovely anise/fennel/wormwood balance, coming in that order.

Actually, the wormwood is perhaps the strongest presence, but only very marginally, and that citric underpinning that Hartsmar mentioned in the forum release is definitely present here, as well, lending a nice touch of brightness. This is definitely no candied absinthe, being very pleasantly dry.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 9/10

This is a beautifully made absinthe, similar to the Montmartre in overall quality, but more traditional in flavor, eschewing the cinnamon, and going for a lighter touch on the citrus, thus rendering it a more delightful "session absinthe".

I would most certainly not hesitate to buy this on a regular basis. In fact, I'd say it's my favorite commercial release thus far.

TOTAL SCORE 87

This post has been edited by Assstomp: Today, 04:00 PM

It's from Germany no less! :shock:

I may break down and have to place an order to Markus; seems like there are some good offerings lately.

Not to mention that I placed my order with Markus on Thursday, and the Eichelberger arrived today.

Methinks the flying monkeys have been moonlighting! :shock:

Same for me- ordered the Eichelberger on thu., it arrived this morning. Absinth 68 is handwritten in sharpie on the front label!! And the 68 is hand-sharpied on the neck-label. Really completes the HG-goes-pro look.

If Gaspumph's assessment is correct, we may have to stop making such a big deal over the absinth/absinthe thing.

I also grabbed one of Markus' little sample bottles of the Duplais. Is that really a verte? Looks like the Blanchette.

Are you my long lost twin? I ordered the Eichelberger and a sample of the Duplais on Thursday too.

I only did economy shipping though so I'll probably get mine later in the week.

If Gaspumph's assessment is correct, we may have to stop making such a big deal over the absinth/absinthe thing.

Does a turkey look up at the sky, and drown in a rainstorm, Vile Pill?

Believe it.

Unless it's Czechswill, or mass marketed Deutschesheisse, of course.

I also grabbed one of Markus' little sample bottles of the Duplais. Is that really a verte? Looks like the Blanchette.

First time I saw (and tasted) a sample of the Duplais, it was a pretty green, not unlike Jade NO. When I got a bottle myself, it was dark and brownish. When louched, it turns into a greenish-yellowish colour, a bit like that shown in Rafaëlli's painting. Colour-wise, it seemed to turn vintage within months. Is your sample really that pale? Apparently, there is still some work to be done on the colouring step.

Nice to see you liked it Absomphe. I guess the rest of you will as well.

Absomphe, would you care to post that review on FeeVerte as well or can I snip it from here and post it in the Buyer's Guide there?

Hartsmar, of course, feel free to post it anywhere you deem appropriate.

I originally posted it in the "Newly Rated Absinthes" thread, at La Fee.

I noticed that you had moved your review of the prototype to a separate area, so I guess I could have posted it under yours, but I didn't notice a specific thread for it, so I didn't want to overstep my bounds.

I'm really interested in the Eichelberger. I got a feeling I will be pulling the trigger on an order soon. I just can't make up my mind on what else to bunk alongside for the ride over the pond. Haven't had any of the Duplais offerings.

Is the Duplais Verte from Markus the newer version? If so, what are some of the differences? I know some of you weren't too fond of the first. I want to get something else to help out on the shipping, but don't want something I've already had. That list, albeit small, includes:

Jade NO

Clandestine Bugnon

Montmartre

Kübler 53

VdF

UE 68 old/new version (yeah, I know)

I would suggest the BdF or Kalnacher for blanche and Jade Edouard or Verte Suisse for verte. You know you have to try all four of those eventually anyway. It would be hard to judge the Jades having only tried the NO (my least favorite of the three-now four).

Not sure why but looking forward to Gatsby's take on the Ike.  :poke:

I'm looking forward to my take on it too (as long as it doesn't suck). :P What makes it exciting is its origins. It's the first time an absinthe has made it to market through a democratic vote of connossieurs who all know how to make absinthe. Talk about a tough focus group!

That's why I wasn't surprised by the quality it showed.

Everyone here's been saying that they'd be really excited if Roman executed a more traditional recipe, particularly sans the cinnamon. Well, this is pretty much it, except Rudolph Wild conceived it. It's tangential to Montmartre in its citrus aspect, but it has a thicker, creamier louche, and a higher fennel and wormwood profile.

It's floral, with a lovely scent, and not a trace of funk, but the aroma is not the room-filling bouquet of the finest HGs. Still, for my money, it's a winner, especially in terms of commercial offerings.

First time I saw (and tasted) a sample of the Duplais, it was a pretty green, not unlike Jade NO. When I got a bottle myself, it was dark and brownish. When louched, it turns into a greenish-yellowish colour, a bit like that shown in Rafaëlli's painting. Colour-wise, it seemed to turn vintage within months. Is your sample really that pale? Apparently, there is still some work to be done on the colouring step.

I love the color of the Jade NO. The sample of Duplais that I just got looks like somebody left a couple of olives in the bottle overnight, and then took them back out. Not pretty at all...