Sign in to follow this  
JM_Greentongue

Vintage Pernod Fils Tarragona for sale and some Be

I've tried four vintage absinthes and got them all from the same guy. He lives in New Orleans and I just bought some more of the Vintage Pernod Fils Tarragona he's offering up. He's got two bottles - one from the 40's and I think one from the 60's. I offered to put a link to it here as a favor to him. He's the real deal and look forward to one of each of these samples. And the price is reasonable.

LINK TO HIS PAGE

Seems some people had some beef with him a while back. If so, ignore this post but I've had great luck with everything I received from him. <-- jmfranc pretending to be one of his own satisfied customers.

Edited by Hiram

I offered to put a link to it here as a favor to him.

Do us a favor and send him here directly so he can speak for the bottles of "vintage" he has to offer.

Seems some people had some beef with him a while back.

If so, there's probably a reason for that.

(Wax?)

I'm not really familiar with this "JMFranc" character. I would be very hesitant to purchase anything from someone without some sort of provenance of authenticity.

You got that right.

I'm not really familiar with this "JMFranc" character. I would be very hesitant to purchase anything from someone without some sort of provenance of authenticity.

I concur. But even having actually bought some pre-ban doesn't guarantee that that's what he's selling, or that it hasn't been diluted with modern absinthe or even arak.

I'm not directly accusing him of fraud, but you should know that his reputation is somewhat controversial and many people think he's outright crooked. He pretty much showed up out of the blue, not knowing anyone and not really knowing much about absinthe, and then he gets all entrepreneurial and shit.

It's a wonder these samples aren't louched in the photos.

1) I wouldn't store vintage in direct sunlight, even for a photo-op.

2) I wouldn't bust the cork for samples... I'd use a sleeved hypodermic needle (like for spinal injections).

3) 3 bottles of that "vintage" Berger pastis sold on e-bay last year... I don't know if the cost for the samples is, um, appropriate.

He pretty much showed up out of the blue, not knowing anyone and not really knowing much about absinthe, and then he gets all entrepreneurial and shit.

...all entreprenurial and shit. Yes, to be very scientific about it.

That's good to know. I believed everything he said and some people even backed him up like Oxy and Deluge. Deluge bought some from him also and has a review on his site about the sample - thats why I went ahead and bought from him. I think a few other people also stuck up for him. Including the VanGogh guy. I don't know what to think but I enjoyed what I bought from him and a number of long standing members of Fee Verte stood up for him.

Hope you guys are just laying it on thick because I doubt he's ripping anyone off. Didn't he do some graphics work for Oxy as well on the Absinthe Classics website? Wonder what Oxy has to say about him? I looked at the members on this board and I do not see his name "jmfranc" listed. I'll ask him to come here and post some responses to your questions. I'm going to personal message him right now on FeeVerte. (Keep in mind that this IS jmfranc writing this.)

Edited by Hiram

You should worry that this is the same guy that was looking for empty vintage bottles and vintage labels last year.  Do some searches over at Fée Verte.

He showed me a picture of his collection. He's got a lot of vintage bottles. I think he collects them. I don't really see the point if they don't have something in them B)

I'm happy with my dealings with him and hope you are just being overly precautious. And the prices seem to be pretty good.

Anyone here have any DIRECT dealings with him? There's gotta be someone here who has bought from him or did some kind of trade. Oxy? Deluge? I'm tired of talking about him.

In post #16 you say that Oxy backs him up. In the next paragraph you wonder what Oxy thinks. PM Oxy and get his opinion, and then share it here. I doubt the owner of those bottles will come here to talk about it. Can I get a second opinion, doctors?

Where's his post asking about repros of vintage labels?

We need to flame his ass and find this one, here or at FV.

I have a couple posts from FV where he asks about the

dilution level for vintage Pastis and Tarragona.

Those labels are so fake...

My PM at FV from jmfranc:

I just got a PM from greentonuge from your forum. He says some people want to chat with me about the vintage I am selling. I'd be glad to do that if I had an account. I've been floowing the coversation....whats up with all the badgering? I haven't done shit but sell some vintage to a bunch of people that were very happy with it. I've bought a ton from Oxy. I've bought bottles from France. WHat's the deal? A lot of people who don't know anything about me are running their mouths. I would love to respond.

I'll tell you what the deal is Jim, you're a lying bastard, that's what the deal is.

001.gif

So, "Greentongue", I suppose there a good reason that you signed up with Jim's email address and said you live in Ohio (where Jim's cell number is from, IIRC, and also where Opie was connected to) but you're posting from Louisiana? You done fucked up, bubba.

And you have the nerve to try to keep up the charade with me in private?

FUCK. THE HELL. OFF.

The "backing up" of people is an easy one to pull out, really. No one can guarantee any content or bottle or seal authenticity from merely looking at photos. Knowing Oxy quite well I would bet my left AND right nut that he would NEVER guarantee any such thing without actually holding and inspecting said goods in person.

I too got a sample of Edouard from Jim (you?) and I was pleased with it. That still doesn't mean anything. There is one thing that fits all con-jobs and that is to first get the trust from people by offering authentic goods and/or services and THEN you do your "stuff".

Again, not having seen the bottles in person I can't tell for sure what is in them and how old they are. What I can say is that there are several things that would hold me off from buying samples until I was very very sure of what it was. The un-corking is one thing for sure. The dating of the bottles is another. The very dark brown color of the label-less contents is yet another. The Berger is certainly authentic but probably of a later date. The middle bottle is (atleast initially) authentic as well. I think I know which bottle this is, especially if you got it from a french seller. If you hadn't opened the cork I would almost be willing to guarantee the contents of that one if you could confirm who the seller was. Since it's been opened like that, no one can really tell what's in it now. The date of that one is likely mid 1960's. The last bottle is the one I'm most skeptic about. The wax seal to prevent it from leaking, yet it is stated to be very well preserved...? The very brown color and the bottle which I still have a bit of problem dating to the 1940's. I am looking into that.

As I said, I can't argue what's in them since I haven't had any or seen it in person but taking previous points into consideration (about empty bottles and labels along with opened corks) people have all rights to be skeptic.

I am not one who falls into deep conspiracy theories like some others but the points brought up here are all valid and I guess some could be easily sorted out if you could provide more details. Do you have photos of the bottles prior to you getting them? Do you have photos of the bottles once you had them in your posession? If you want to, you could email them to me. I don't know what good it would do but it might clear some things up and it could also help you get stuff straightened out.

people have all rights to be skeptic.
Particularly when he shows up pretending to be someone else, shilling his own goods. The guy is flat out dishonest. He's tried to sign up here numerous times even after I came out and told him I wouldn't validate his registration. Then he sneaks in like this? The only reason he got in was because I overlooked his email address—or he changed it after he joined.

True. Very true.

As I said, I'm not a sucker for conspiracy theories but this just looks bad. There are ways to confirm if, at least the originals, where authentic or not and it is very possible to get a correct dating of them. That apart I can say that there are only very few that I trust enough to know that what ever they offer or send me in the ways of vintage - it is guaranteed to be real. Those are people I know very well. Something I can't say about Jim.

That last bottle looks the most suspicious. I have an identical one (I believe it is from the 40s, the diff between that and the 60s bottle are numerous), and what's most suspicious about it is that the foil seal isn't present. Those things don't just fall off. Yeah, they decay, rip and whatever, but I've never seen an authentic bottle with contents intact missing any trace of foil. The cork presented next to it also looks too long to be a Pernod Fils Tarragona cork. Usually foil and leftover adhesive from labels are removed if someone is selling an empty bottle and wants it to look clean.

Andrew, just the man I was looking for. The Berger Pastis was simple/nice, but in your own humble opinion, ya think Jim's asking price is even remotely justified (I recall the price they went for...)?

The price they were going on ebay only would've bought 100-150 mls at those prices.

In 1923, the first aniseed aperitif Berger, who is not called yet pastis, is born in the new factory.

I suppose that explains why it says "PASTIS de MARSEILLES" on the bottom of the label.