DeProfundisClamavi

Allow me to introduce myself.

Good evening, all. Thanks to the urging of my friend martygreene, I've joined the forums here. I'm not exactly new to the world of absinthe, having been familiar with the liqueur for decades thanks to extensive readings of the Decadents and other writers of the Belle Epoque, but only recently became an actual enthusiast thanks to the wonderful world of online suppliers. I've a bottle of Montmarte (my favorite distillation, thus far) on its way, in fact.

So what should you know about me...? I'm an English instructor currently teaching the basics of rhetoric and composition at two southwestern Pennsylvanian universities, California University of Pennsylvania and Penn State University's Fayette Campus. My literary background is primarily focused on the works of Howard Phillips Lovecraft and other American sci-fi/horror authors of the 20th/21st Centuries, though I've a thorough background in the Decadents, particularly Charles Baudelaire (hence my screen-name here) and Joris-Karl Huysmans, and am, in general, fascinated by all aspects of fin-de-siecle Europe. In fact, I'd venture to say that one cannot truly understand the foundations of 20th-Century horror fiction without appreciating the Decadents, as many themes which writers such as Huysmans, Poe, Verlaine, and others brought up in their writings echo strongly in perverted form throughout the majority of 20th-Century horror authors--especially Clive Barker, Caitlin R. Kiernan, and Richard Calder. I'm certain Charles Baudelaire would've greatly admired Hellraiser, in fact.

I write a great deal of music, too--much of it in the vein of horror-film soundtracks and murky, sometimes stygian Lustmord-ish dronescapes, with occasional ventures into skittery IDM, really mutated audio sculpture a la Skinny Puppy and Download, and--to lighten up the mood on occasional--8-bit video-game dance music and disco house. I won't take up undue space listing the URLs to my assorted MySpace sites, but if anyone would have an interest in listening to some of my stuff, feel free to ask and I'll provide links.

And that's about it. I'm a fairly simple fellow with occasionally complex tastes.

What are the odds we could have guessed your profession, had you not told us?

Welcome and yes, please post links to your tunes. :cheers:

Poe, Lovecraft, Lustmord, Skinny Puppy and Download - you just named some of the most essential ingredients completing an enjoyable absinthe experience. :)

Welcome!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! It's good to find myself in the company of so many HPL fans--much less chance of my incessant banter about the Other Gods and assorted other Lovecraftian insanity overloading everyone's circuits. <heh>

Since a few of you asked for links to the music I've done, here you go:

My primary project, Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos: weird, eclectic horror-movie ambience and Lovecraftian atmospherics usually mixed with downtempo beats and massive amounts of bass.

http://www.myspace.com/nyarlathotep

My solo stuff. Twitchy IDM laced with elements of Delerium. Almost all influenced by my near-obsession with medical paraphrenalia--particularly antiques.

http://www.myspace.com/derekcfpegritz

Goofball oldskool-industrial-meets-disco-house mutations.

http://www.myspace.com/adoctrineofworks

8-bit dance music made entirely with Atari/Nintendo/Intellivision samples and really old drum machines.

http://www.myspace.com/retard2

Enjoy! And feel free to comment on anything you'd like--positive *or* negative. Whereas there's nothing wrong with positive feedback, it's the negative feedback that points out what I still need to take care of as far as composition or mixing/mastering are concerned.

Welcome! Great intro.

As a Lovecraft fan, have you seen the "new" silent version of Lovecraft's "Call of Cthulhu" distributed by Lurker Films? A triumph of retro-silent film making.