Brooks

Jade Blanchette

Taking my cue from other threads, I need to familiarize myself with the herbs used in absinthe so that I know what it is I'm tasting. I've been drinking absinthe for three years, but wouldn't know hyssop if it walked up and spat in my eye. "I know what I like," as the saying goes. That pretty much sums up my analytic skills.

I not only like the Blanchette, I think it's terrific. Of all the Jades, it's the most wormwood-y, and reminds me of several HGs I had at the last two A-Town Louchefests. While you hardcore types may have scholarly reasons for disapproving of the pale yellow hue, I would champion this absinthe if it were pink, purple, or orange. My bottom line: it tastes really good.

I rarely see Ted's Verte Suisse mentioned in this forum. I was slightly on the fence with the Beta release, but recently had the opportunity to try the finished product, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A really quality hyssop in a well made absinthe can impart of lovely scent that is reminiscent of baby powder, and this can even carry over subtly into the flavor.

I understand that this talc-like flavor is even more pronounced in a few of the better pre-ban absinthes.

I'm sure anything else you would care to know about hyssop can be answered by our own distinguished Baron of the same name.

An absinthe seminar/tasting for the benefit of people like me would be a great thing. Not unlike a wine seminar, where you get to find out what "oaky" means.

At an absinthe seminar, you'd discuss history, methods, pass around herbs, sample different absinthes, and you'd walk away with an overview and a vocabulary.

Who knows? Maybe it'll come to pass one day.

Perhaps something like that could be arranged for some events. It definately sounds like something I'd like to do if/when I ever hosted an event of my own.

As a teacher, I love the idea of a seminar.

I couldn't teach, obviously. But you could, Andrew, and I bet you could take your act on the road. You wouldn't necessarily have to host.

I understand that this talc-like flavour is even more pronounced in a few of the better pre-ban absinthes.

Having raised two lil' fellers from infancy, I'm having a hard time thinking of talc as a favorable flavour. Maybe it's just the connection to the little diapers filled with goodies that makes talc my own personal memory baggage.

If someone were to offer a tasting class for credit, I think I could write off the cost of tuition for professional development!

At an absinthe seminar, you'd discuss history, methods, pass around herbs, sample different absinthes, and you'd walk away with an overview and a vocabulary.

We call those Louche Fests. :devil:

I had the pleasure of drinking it a week or two ago. It was VERY nice for a commercial, and a Jade. The yellow is a bit off-putting, but it's a darn good absinthe, and a good price, even though the bottle is smallish.

try it. If you hate it... bitch at someone else.

We call those Louche Fests.

And I did finally learn what wormwood smells like, thanks to Dinky, who brought some to the last gathering. Of course, two seconds of wormwood sniffing segued into a half-hour discussion of ski resorts. In my experience, staying on topic is not a high priority at Louche Fests!

I'll check out that review at Fee Verte. Thanks, Stroller.

Having raised two lil' fellers from infancy, I'm having a hard time thinking of talc as a favorable flavour.  Maybe it's just the connection to the little diapers filled with goodies that makes talc my own personal memory baggage.

Having never had the pleasure :devil: of changing a diaper in my life, my opinion of that talc-y aroma hasn't been tainted. :P

Seriously, though, the aroma is not at all exactly like baby powder, but only somewhat reminiscent of it, and, trust me, in a really good way.

I dont remember the Sixties...... :blink: :dribble:

Woohoo, The Great American Absinthe Road Trip, Part II. Maybe you're on to something there...

sounds like a plan to me!!

Could this really be the better than the Edouard?

Of all the Jades, the Edouard is still my favorite. But the Blanchette is very good, and markedly different from the other three.

I don't remember the Sixties either. Then again, I'd be hard-pressed to tell you what I had for lunch today.

I just got a bottle of the Blanchette this week and have had a glass the last couple nights. Honestly I was a little disappointed with this one, I'm still wondering were that yellow tint is coming from. It's a decent blanche, but nothing too far out of the ordinary, I've had better. Still it could get better with age, seeing how this bottle is rather young. I'd still reccomend trying it, it is a decent absinthe for the price, I just expected better.