Sign in to follow this  
WhyteKnight

Floral Liqueurs

Being in such a sparsely populated area, there is very little availability of products that are somewhat "far out." I am curious as to whether or not floral liqueurs along the lines of Creme de Violette are more prevalent and available in areas with greater populations, or are they sort of an extinct product?

East Bumfuck, Egypt is as backward as Wyoming in that area, Whyte, although I'm sure Seattle has a small selection.

Not that any of the Washington liquor stores are what you would call progressive, thanks to our state contolled liquor.

Not that any of the Washington  liquor stores are what you would call progressive, thanks to our state contolled liquor.

No, they're certainly not. And their selection of exotic liqueurs and liquors is getting worse overall; though they've got a few things in recently that are improvements over their usual crappy selection (like finally carrying a decent Ouzo).

For the floral/fruit stuff, I frequently make my own infusions. have some great lavender-infused vodka; and some watermelon-rind stuff too, which i'm still deciding whether i like.

Well specifically for Creme de Violette you are basically out of luck almost, but not quite, world-wide.

It is still being manufactured in France, and available to a very limited extent in many European countries, but to the best of my knowledge nobody in the US is currently importing/distributing it.

There used to be a Crème Yvette produced here in the US, but that is now defunct.

Monin has a number of different floral syrups which can do in a pinch, especially if it is for a cocktail that doesn't use much.