Sign in to follow this  
TheGreenOne

Wormwood Malt Liquor?

I think someone mentioned this stuff in the "Ignorance" or "Misinformation" threads.

There is no end to the absinthe-bandwagon-jumping on the part of marketers. It's probably Southernwood, just like in Absente. If someone pushed it, they might be able to make them change their advert copy because they clearly are banking on the rep of absinthium, and insinuate that that's what they use.

I've been trying for some time now to think of a way that this could be made more vile-tasting, toxic, and likely to cause wicked hangovers. The only thing I could come up with would be to lace it with formaldehyde; but I'm not entirely sure that wouldn't be an improvement. Ugh.

Yikes!

Dear "Grey Boy"

You are absolutely right, thujone nor Absinthe make you hallucinate and that is a nasty rumor that has been popularized by media.  We don't claim that "four" makes you hallucinate either.  A person such as yourself that is highly educated on Absinthe and it's effects understands that the slightly different buzz that wormwood creates (which we call a body buzz) is what we are marketing.  As stated on our can (which has been approved by the TTB) we use wormwood oil (which has minimal amounts of thujone). 

If you would be interested, we would be happy to send you out some more information regarding our product and marketing.  We hope to one day expand to the Boston area and would look forward to inviting you to an event to possibly taste the product. 

Please let me know if there are any questions that I can answer.  Have a great weekend!

How does it feel to be highly educated on absinthe? In high school I was getting educated while being on pot. And what is the TTB?

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.

There's no way their "wormwood oil" is made from Artemisia absinthium. The FDA doesn't allow "minimal amounts of thujone," unless of course, they're softening up.

Highly educated on absinthe? I got a Body Buzz™!

I followed up with a polite thanks for the offer of more info and marketing materials. Should be interesting stuff that.

I also asked what type of oil they were using.

They sent me a copy of the MSDS for Wormwood oil:

Wormwood Oil (thujone free)

Section 1. IDENTIFICATION   

Trade Name:      Wormwood Oil (Thujone Free), Natural 

Synonyms:  none 

Product Number:  0311600ESS      FEMA Number:  3116

Nowhere on the MSDS do they list an actual species of wormwood.

Dear "Grey Boy"

You are absolutely right, thujone nor Absinthe make you hallucinate and that is a nasty rumor that has been popularized by media. 

What they tell not so highly educated persons is slightly different.

Wright downplayed these notions. "Absinthe did make people hallucinate in the 1700s and 1800s, but that was strictly due to the process in manufacturing the Absinthe," he said. "Absinthe was being brewed in bathtubs and in other contaminated facilities, which resulted in people getting sickly and even hallucinating."

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.

There's no way their "wormwood oil" is made from Artemisia absinthium.  The FDA doesn't allow "minimal amounts of thujone,"  unless of course, they're softening up.

There are those "herbal extracts" that are sold through so called health stores, as well as the crappy drops that M. Roux's Absente outfit sells.

Note to anyone that ingests that stuff, why not just suck on a car's tailpipe, it's likely just as good for you. :wacko:

I just spoke with a gentleman at Moore Ingredients, Ltd., where Four gets their Thujone Free Wormwood Oil. He doesn't know what species of plant is used in the stuff because they don't manufacture it. He does know that the oil is produced by distillation and that the thujone is removed in the process. He's under the (probably accurate) impression that the manufacturer would cite "proprietary information" as an excuse not to discuss ingredients.

What a bunch of dupes.

They can say whatever they want in their ad copy, but you know the people in the field actually handing out this crap are coming right out and telling people that this stuff might as well be absinthe.

Bye-Bye Redbull.

I can't wait to see snowboarders chugging this stuff at the X-games

Seriously. They'll be handing it out at all the supercross, skiercross, bordercross, criss-cross, blah-blah-blah, post shows. "Oh, it's the shizzle. Damn, I got a mother of a headache"!

What a bunch of dupes.

They can say whatever they want in their ad copy, but you know the people in the field actually handing out this crap are coming right out and telling people that this stuff might as well be absinthe.

Although I'm not sure what the people in the field told them, it does seem the general person is connecting it to absinthe,

"As a public service, we chased the green fairy. four is red, not green like traditional absinthe, with a frothy pink head."Four makes the brain grow stupider