Sign in to follow this  
nondual

Tasting the Montemarte right now...

Is it just me, or does the cinnamon really o'erpower the Montemarte? I'm searching for other flavors...but...

The anise is there, but less of it than the Eduard. I can't really tell the licorice from the anise, but there does seem to be some smoother 'anise-like-but-not-quite' flavour.

I'm on the third glass now (Hey, it's only 65% alcohol, right?).

5:1, just like the Eduard....

But I think I'll buy another bottle of Ed next time.

Anyone got a suggestion for something like the Ed but not so expensive?

The cinnamon is too much for me.

Are you referring to this new batch, or have you even tried it? (I'm guessing not)

I sinked the old batch when I tried it, but this was at the end of an entire evening sampling fine absinthes. The quirkiness was too much for me at that point, and having that last drink before hitting the road wasn't a good idea anyway.

I'd have to try this latest batch with a clean palate before passing final judgement.

Unfortunately, Montmartre is the highest quality verte on the market. Nothing commercially available except other Jades tastes like Edouard (for better or worse).

The flavor is far more complex than just cinnamon.

In fact, I find the citrus to be more prevalent, but there is a lot of traditional flavor in there as well. I have no trouble discerning the mintiness of the wormwood, or the fennel. The cinnamon and citrus could stand to be cut down a bit, but unlike descriptions I've read of the first batch, I don't find them obtrusive at all.

Oh yeah, I don't believe Montmartre has any licorice in it, although I could be wrong. For the most part, licorice is for Pastis and the likes. While absinthe can theoretically have licorice in it, I don't know of any that do.

Nun Duel,

When and from whom did you buy your bottle of Montmartre? As Slackjaw pointed out, there are two versions of it on the market, the original, and a new second edition. Lots of major vendors are still selling old stock of the original version which, though well liked, definitely had too much cinnamon.

The new batch has several improvements, including a reduction of the cinnamon, but it is only available from a few vendors. In fact the only one I know for certain is selling the new batch is Liqueurs de France.

Markus also sells 2nd edition.

Both of them are definitely something special, for better or for worse. I like it for variety, but it has been an acquired taste for me.

I don't agree that it is the highest quality verte. It has more character and is obviously better made than, say, VdF, but I wouldn't place it in the same league as the Jades. I find a much more complex herbal character in them - the different flavours are more purely pronounced than in the Montmartre. I think Artemis once used the expression 'deliver in waves' or something similar about the way a really good absinthe can treat the palate with a complex variety of flavours - I find that the Jades have much more of that than the Montmartre.

I did a side by side of both Montmartres a week or so ago, and found the cinnamon to be slightly less obtrusive in the new version, but it's still right up front; the fennel seems bolder in the new batch as well. I actually do think I taste licorice in it as well; pretty subtle, I could be mistaken. It reminds me of an HG rouge that I had early last year.

I don't agree that it is the highest quality verte. It has more character and is obviously better made than, say, VdF, but I wouldn't place it in the same league as the Jades. I find a much more complex herbal character in them - the different flavours are more purely pronounced than in the Montmartre. I think Artemis once used the expression 'deliver in waves' or something similar about the way a really good absinthe can treat the palate with a complex variety of flavours - I find that the Jades have much more of that than the Montmartre.

I think alot of that has to do with the recipe and the quality of herbs. The Montmartre is much more clean than Jade, and lacking the obtrusive funk. I think if Tuivel made a batch with one of the Jade recipes (don't hold your breath), it would be as good as many of the best HGs.

I actually do think I taste licorice in it as well; pretty subtle, I could be mistaken.

The website mentions licorice root as one of the ingredients. It's there more to give the Montmartre an added creaminess of texture, rather than to impart more than a very subtle hint of flavor.

I see. I am awaiting some Jade Ed. to get re-stocked and am going to either purchase the Montmartre or the Duplais. I like the taste of cinnimon and citrus, but just don't know yet if I would like that in an absinthe. I see so many "veterans" who like it, so I am more inclined to just take the plunge and try it.

The cinnamon is unmistakable, but FWIW, the citrus is kept pretty subtle. The recipe states that aside from the traditional ingredients, Tuivel uses cinnamon, licorice, orange and lemon peel.

Aside from the  cinnamon flavour, is there a substantial difference between the montmartre and the duplais?

Quality. Although I'm not a fan of the flavour profile, AT is right, it's probably the highest quality verte being sold today.

Thanks to flying monkeys with rockets strapped to their arse I just got my first taste of Montmarte #2. A bit too much pine flavour for my taste (not exactly sure what herb but it reminds me a bit of gin) but it's not too much to be off-putting and I rather like the different tastes.

I agree with others, Tuivel should really do a traditional verte along with the Montmarte, I bet it would be yummy.

The color is also quite interesting, almost a green cyan. I wonder what added the blueish color and if it could be the reason many have seen it brown pretty fast over time.

I wonder what added the blueish color and if it could be the reason many have seen it brown pretty fast over time.

The NO has a similar bluish cast, and perhaps not coincidentally, an unusual spiciness (although I think it's more appealing in the Montmartre). Perhaps it has something to do with the hyssop/pontica balance, but that's just a wild guess.

I purchased the second distillation as soon as it was available commercially, and i haven't noticed any browning at all, btw.

Unfortunately, Montmartre is the highest quality verte on the market. Nothing commercially available except other Jades tastes like Edouard (for better or worse).

A vendor suggested to me that the Duplais reminded him of the Edouard, except more "simple". Can't corroborate that, but I found the statement interesting.

Has anyone had a chance to try the production Duplais, or even an aged sample?

I have a bottle (1st ed.) that aged several months. Very pretty color pre-louche..nice green color when louched but pretty weak. Very strong alcohol burn in the smell. It is thin on aroma and taste. It doesn't have the funk that the Eddie has...If the 2nd is improved I wouldn't know, but I would not recommend this one.

I must be the only person who doesn't find the cinnamon in the montmartre. I tried the second version, but folk seem to feel it's still pretty up front on that as well. Huh.

This is part of the beauty of a complex absinthe, to me.

So far, the opinions of the cinnamon level have ranged from nonexistent to overbearing.

I find the citrus even more up front than the cinnamon, while Hiram finds the cinnamon quite restrained and subtle.

The fact that there can be such differing palate interpretations of the flavor profile, tells me that the Montmartre is certainly dynamic, if not necessarily to everyone's taste.

I don't think that can be said about too many COs out there.

you are not alone.

The taste is markedly different than anything I've tasted. Pretty sure I could pick it out in a blind taste. Citrus is there, along with the slight bitterness of the wormwood. However, I do not pick up cinnamon in the slightest. Strange how everyone gets it, but I just don't find it.