Sign in to follow this  
bigwhitt

Good Absinthe book?

I have read Barnaby Conrad III's book, Absinthe:History in a bottle about a million times. I love it and it never really gets old, especially because of the artwork. But I need some new knowledge. Anyone care to suggest a book? Let me know

Thanks,

Aaron

Absinthe; A Myth Always Green is a very good book. As well as the books by Mdm Delaheye. The Pernod 200 yrs book is excellent but it only covers the history of the various Pernod brands (no shit).

Hideous Absinthe by Jad Adams

Terribly illustrated with a few black and white photos. This is a book for reading, and I think it gets much more in depth than the Barnaby Conrad book. Takes a more honest and realistic look behind the myths and romantic allure of the drink, and takes a more journalistic approach to the relationship between absinthe and art, and artists.

If you want to read a long rant repeating all of the standard anti-absinthe rhetoric, then it is a good read. Personal, I can't find any reason to have a copy. Why the hardcover is going for $300+ is beyond me. I would be happy to part with mine for $200!

Hideous Absinthe by Jad Adams

Terribly illustrated with a few black and white photos. This is a book for reading, and I think it gets much more in depth than the Barnaby Conrad book. Takes a more honest and realistic look behind the myths and romantic allure of the drink, and takes a more journalistic approach to the relationship between absinthe and art, and artists.

I've just started to read this and I've found it to be somewhat annoying so far. The first few chapters that I've read have a tone of someone writing about some horrible drug that he's glad has been eradicated. And it tends to wander about the place. He also keeps talking about this hideously bitter drink, but none of the absinthes I've tasted so far are bitter in the least.

He does completely shoot down the idea that Ordinaire had anything to do with the original production of absinthe.

Oh, and my copy at least has a set of color plates in it. There are two sets of plates, one black and white and one color.

I hope to be able to comment further on it as I move along in it.

From the Sepulchritude Forum:

Has anyone out there read Doris Lanier's book ABSINTHE - THE COCAINE OF THE NINETEENTH CENTURY? I did & was disappointed. (The title I thought was ludicrous: they didn't have cocaine in the 19th century? Tell it to Sigmund Freud!) It was well-researched to a point, but only to prove her own anti-absinthe point of view. She repeated the story about the Swiss farmer who murdered his family after drinking absinthe, but neglected to mention that the farmer had been drinking other alcoholic drinks heavily all day! Instead of addressing the topic in the scholarly manner one has come to expect in books published by McFarland, as this one was, she acted like an overly zealous D.A.

I'm so glad that I checked it out from a library rather than spending money on it!

[...] As well as the books by Mdm Delaheye.

I really appreciate her books. Right now I have the "L'Absinthe - Son histoire" and the "L'Absinthe - Les Cuillères". They're richly illustrated and well explained.

Some other books by Madame Delahaye are on their way...

Has anyone read Absinthe: The Cocaine of the Nineteenth Century by Doris Lanier

I bought one just recently. And I'm not yet finished reading it, but I'm not that disappointed about it as some among the members here. I especially like the part about "Verlaine, Rimbaud, Wilde and Others" and "From vanGogh to Picasso" - Whereof the descriptions about vanGogh interest me most.

Does anybody know "The Dedalus Book of Absinthe" written by Phil Baker?

I liked this one as well :)