Sign in to follow this  
MisterX

Jades and water ratio

i've been drinking absinthe, not heavily or too often, but with some consistency, for about 11yrs now. i've tried somewhere around 25 labels, domestic and european. only about 2yrs ago did i finally try a jade. i wasn't going to spend $100 or more on a bottle. i think i got a 700ml bottle of Terminus for around $72 and free shipping in a larger order (absinthes.com). anyway, i've never been super impressed by it and was kind of disappointed. it's OK. i CAN taste the quality in the herbs, and everything, but it seems that nothing about the flavor ever really stood out for me or was very bold or intense in any way.

then several months ago i got a sampler pack of the other 4 jades from absinthes.de, while they still had free shipping, and for a pretty good price. pretty much the same experience with those! the NO is probably my favorite.

i was trying to compare them, and couldn't even find much of a difference between all but the NO and maybe the terminus, and i think the 1898 which is probably my least favorite (but still ok). THEN i had the idea to use less water to get a stronger flavor.

so the thing is, i'm usually probably already leaning towards what most people would consider fairly low water ratios. i started with walton waters and MoL way back, and probably enjoy those and most (but not all) absinthes at maybe somewhere around 2.5 to 3:1. a few i'll go up to ~4.

so in the end i think i was going with maybe around 1.5-2:1 (which seems kind of crazy), and then i actually finally enjoyed the drink(s). i could taste the flavors, they weren't so murky or watered down or just plain thin tasting. it actually tasted like a nice, high quality abisnthe.

am i the only one who feels the jade line needs lower ratios to really shine? i don't think i've ever seen this said about them. but it's what i find across the whole line.

Edited by MisterX

Essential oil content of the absinthe and someone's individual tastes in sensing those oils are big players in this question. Please sit down with a full bottle of something you know you appreciate and really run that absinthe through the watering trials. You may find a sweet-spot that becomes so intuitive you can eyeball it anytime you sit-down. I know somewhere here, we chugged out some long-winded details about water addition and ratios... doesn't matter. What matters is your experience that particular day, with a certain breeze against the hairs of your ass, at such-and-such angle with the star our Sun. But you can narrow the estimate by doing a long day/week of testing your watering ratio against a favorable absinthe.  You will be much closer at being able to intuit what is <<just yours>> the next time a fresh dose is poured for you.

like i said, i'm already really aware of my own preferences, which have been pretty constant for around 10 years of drinking absinthe. also like i've already said, there have only been a couple of brands that i actually maximized enjoyment with after going up to maybe ~4:1.

the point is that i find i have to go even lower than usual with the jades. now, i understand that everyone is different. what i'm asking is if anyone else has the same experience, regardless of what their typical preferred ratios are- that they find they water the jades less than they do most other brands.

no offense but your post didn't really address anything i said and seems to have kind of assumed i'm a beginner and don't know how to find preferences even though my post established that i've known them since i started drinking this stuff, 10yrs ago.

i guess to maybe make it a little more clear, i never thought to go lower than my usual ratio with the jades, because i'm aware that my usual ratio is already apparently considered on the low side (again, maybe around 2.5-3:1). so going lower just seemed crazy. but it actually worked out when i finally tried. it probably was close to 1.5:1, 2:1 at most. wouldn't that be considered really low?

Edited by MisterX

I'm right there with ya, MisterX.  I will start around a 2:1 ratio of water to absinthe and take a sip.  Sometimes I add a bit more and sometimes I don't.  I also agree with Grim that it depends on my day - have I had anything else to eat or drink that throws me off.  Salty or spicy foods right before an absinthe make me add more water to get the ratio right.  The second absinthe may be back down to 2:1.

Holy crap! I feel like I would get nothing but alcohol burn at 2:1 especially with Edouard.  I have the same exact sentiments with the Terminus, I can tell its well made high quality absinthe, but overall I wasn't overly impressed by the flavor, like I was expecting to be (the finish is really where it shines).  I might try your suggestion of tasting it at 1-2 when I'm feeling a little extra frisky.  Thanks for this!

I use 4:1 standard although I honestly stop it early maybe. I use a dripper not fountain and bubble glass cause I LOVE the show the louche puts on in it. 2:1 seems like madness to me.

Although let's be honest my pouring of the absinthe diminishes after so many glasses that it's nearly double shot of absinthe per drink into that same 4:1 ratio so haha.

I also agree I wasn't blown away by Terminus either. I have another bottle on the way alone with eddy and 1901, butterfly and Angelique (last time will be first time) exited. But to call the other jades similar is crazy talk if you ask me.