Sign in to follow this  
Brynjolfr

Major grudge-holding (maybe a bit too major?)

Many years ago some distillers (don't remember which ones) in Val-de-Travers tried (and failed) to make the product name "absinthe" (plus "Fée verte" and "le bleue") geographically protected (IGP). Because of this I've been boycotting all Val-de-Travers distillers ever since.

However, this debacle happened many(!) years ago and honestly there are many absinthes from this region that I'd like to try.

Am I being unreasonable and overly stubborn for still boycotting them? What are your thoughts and opinions?

Pricks that stoop to stabbing others in the back for personal gain and greed don't get my money.

(And if they'll do it once, they'll do it any time they deem it convenient.)

Interesting. I tend to agree with both Hedonmonkey and Patient Explorer on this issue. As a producer of absinthe myself, I can see the absolute horror the Swiss producers were trying to inflict on all other producers. Truly an issue of greed. On the other hand, I'm a "forgive-and-forget" kind of guy. Personally, I still won't give them a dime.

Vote with your wallet, however you see fit. With so many great absinthes made outside of VdT I hardly give that region any thought. And what the two very fine folks above me said. 

Collectively organizing to protect your interests is not uncommon... even for absinthe in the United States. We did as much after prohibition and failed - though the story is lesser known. There are tons of manufacturers out there. The options are numerous. Establish an understanding of what is available, then decide to ride a noble horse after you've come to know what is out there. Nothing worse than an uneducated opinion, mon ami. Just a suggestion.

And Zman... where is that Epidural Kit?!!!