Sign in to follow this  
Patient Explorer

Happy to finally be a part of this community.

Hello All!  

I found Wormwood Society whilst looking for a reputable online seller of Absinthe this past January, found the review section and then the forum, and I've been lurking around ever since then.

My journey with absinthe began with my wife in a duty-free liquor store on the way home from our honeymoon in Norway in 2015.  We picked up a bottle of the much-beloved Absente (I make jokes), drawn in by the alluring box artwork and the mystique of it being one of the world's most controversial spirits.  Little did we know that it was an artificially colored and cheaply made version of the genuine article.  We got through the whole bottle and enjoyed it for what it was, but later that year we graduated to our first bottle of genuine absinthe, Vieux Carre.  From that point, we had been completely enchanted by how amazing an authentic absinthe could be and made it our mission to have as much of it in our lives as possible (within reason of course.)

The next year we made our way to Paris and stopped at the famous Cantada II for as much absinthe as we could handle/afford.  We got to enjoy 8 authentic absinthes including: Lucid, Vieux Pontarlier, Absinthe Bourgeois, Soixante Cinq, both Verte and Blanche de Fougeroulles, Traditionelle Essai 8 (Brut d'Alembic), and Jade Espirit Edouard, the lattermost of which became our new favorite.  On our last day there, we stopped into a proper liquor store (La Maison du Whiskey) and picked up a bottle of Duplais Verte upon the store keep's recommendation along with a bottle of La Fee Verte because I knew just one bottle wouldn't be enough!

In 2017 we took a trip to Barcelona, found an absinthe bar, and got to enjoy a few Bohemian Absinths which weren't as disappointing as expected.  The bar keep filled our glasses halfway full with these multicolored anise-lite spirts about 7 times a piece, went through the fire ritual, and I have to say, even though it wasn't true Absinthe it was still a very enjoyable experience along with an olive plate and some patatas bravas.  Before heading home that year we picked up a bottle of Blanchette and Edouard.

Since Barcelona, we haven't been to any more bars specializing in absinthe, but we were able to grab a bottle of Butterfly locally, and order a bottle of Phillipe Lasala, Gron Opal, Enigma Verte FDC, La Capricieuse, and Jade Terminus for Christmas this year.   

I'm very happy to now be a part of this community!  I can't wait to discuss my thoughts, opinions, and future experiences with you guys!  

Welcome to the party!  Always glad to see someone else that actually likes Lucid. For all the criticism it gets, it's been one of my faves. Congrats on getting to have the drink in so many countries!

Hello Patient Explorer welcome, just got back into absinthe myself after a while off it, just ordered a bottle of Lasala myself which I hope to see this Monday, also got a bottle of Jade Blanchette last week, I'm delighted to find a way for absinthe to make it from the EU to my front door in Galway courtesy of Alandia.