Sign in to follow this  
Derp

How Do You Do, Fellow Kids?

Hey everybody, I've been lurking for ages, but just now got myself registered. So far, this has been an excellent resource for a hobbyist like myself.  I'm a Texan and had wanted to try absinthe since I was a teenager. Until this year, my only previous experience had been with Pernod, which I tried to add wormwood to.  (Protip: It didn't work!)  Earlier this year, I was at the liquor store with my wife shopping for rum for her (I'm not a heavy drinker, so I go like maybe once every couple years?)  when I spotted a box of Absente with a slotted spoon stapled to it and a label that said "Now with wormwood!" I grabbed it without a second thought and have been questing for the good stuff since.  So I guess absinthe has been legal for a while and I didn't know it?  I love the taste, the smell, the aesthetics, the barware, the 'waking drunk' sensation, the artistic mystique...  I write fiction and make organized noises, so the fact that so many artists of yore have indulged makes me love it so much more.  I've been through every brand I can find locally (which is a surprisingly high number considering as how I'm in such a small town) and have mail ordered a few.  Here's my list (and personal opinions) so far:

1. Absente - My first. Really heavy on the licorice flavor.
  2. Absinthe Ordinaire - The cheap one available around here.  Slightly corn syrupy after taste.  Not as bad as Absente, so I use this as my mainstay and for experimenting with cocktails.
  3. Mata Hare - I'm not convinced that the batch I got wasn't bad somehow because no matter what I mixed it with, it tasted like nail polish remover.
  4. Pernod - Like Absente, but with a bitter aftertaste.
  5. Lucid - This one gets a lot of hate I've noticed, but it's one of my favorites. It's tame on the licorice and has this taste that reminds me of really good lady bits.
  6. Kübler - If it were cheaper, this would be a go-to for me. This one was really quite a treat.
  7. Mansinthe - I'm a pretentious goth kid at heart.  I had to try it. So far, this is my fave. I love the unique taste of it. Very earthy.

I've also got a bottle of Wolfsmilch on the way in the mail because again, pretentious goth kid!  I do have a drip fountain, a couple absinthe glasses, and a small collection of spoons.  It's a little funny because I went from borderline teetotaler to weekend wormwood warrior over the course of a couple days.  So yes, love the stuff, and happy to be an amateur enthusiast.

Hi and Welcome! :cheerz:

It looks like your off to a good start, and are on the right track to discovering good absinthe.

Absente and Ordinare are more like pastis than absinthe, as both have sugar. True absinthe does not have sugar.

Mata Hare is probably better at removing nail polish than use as a beverage.:dead:Not absinthe

Lucid and Kübler get knocked around quite a bit on forums quite a bit.  My opinion on both is that they have improved a little over the last couple of years.

Mansinthe is probably the best on your list. I like it.

Wolfsmilch-  I have not had that one but it looks like a good one:cheerz:

10 hours ago, Songcatcher said:

Can only go up from there!  Cheers.

I hear Texas sucks for shipping quality absinthe though. If that's the case.....sorry. 

That's a wall I'm working with now. There was a US company that would ship to Texas, but they stopped doing it. I just ordered from Germany from the first time, so we'll see how that goes.