Sign in to follow this  
MisterX

Soaking herbs/flowers in a bottle of blanche for additional flavor?

I've thought about this a bit lately and I thought it might make an interesting topic here. So I have a couple bottles of blanche which I got because both were well rated and I like trying new absinthes. I hadn't really loved any of the blanche I had in that past, but I thought maybe these would be different. Wrong. Don't get me wrong- they're nice, but for me even a good blanche just always seems to be missing all the types of flavors I actually love about absinthe. They always seem bland in comparison. I know that kind of thing is down to personal preference so I'm not going to mention the brands I have.

Anyway my idea is simple. I was wondering if you could just throw some kind of local herb/plant in a partly consumed bottle, let it soak in there for a while (month?) or however long, and then strain the contents back out, and have something with a little more flavor. I was thinking about doing this with some wild honeysuckle that is pretty common around here. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Or any tips on how *to* do it?

Before you ruin the better part of a bottle, start with a small amount of spirit and herb in a mason jar. let rest two days and taste, then adjust the time and or amount.

Start with less and work your way upward.

Just a little bit of a new flavor will let you know if your on to something, or wasting your time.

Actually the best masceration comes from alcohol that's about 85% abv to really extract the oils from the herbs. If you're going to doctor it I would make a tincture with everclear and add that way. Or just go buy something green :)

good advice guys. not sure if i'm going to try it now, i think i waited much too long on the honeysuckle. it's all gone. might look around and see if i can find anything else that might be worth trying.

yeah you know i was actually already thinking i should just look into something like that, and it just so happens i have 4 unopened bitters someone got me as a gift. good call. i was also thinking about experimenting with mixing a little fruit juice in with the water (grape, etc). i've never really got into doing cocktails with absinthe so maybe i'll use the blanches i have to finally experiment with some. i have made monkey glands, with some *ok* store bought grenadine. they were *ok*.

Edited by MisterX