Sign in to follow this  
Defiant

Mt Defiance Absinthe in Pennsylvania

Shameless plug . . . Mt Defiance Absinthe is now available in most (55) of the Pennsylvania Fine Wine & Good Spirits Premium Collection Stores. Hit the shelves two weeks ago. Two states and DC down, 48 to go.

I picked up two bottles yesterday. Lovely stuff. A wonderful, honeyed mintiness up front, followed by candied anise mid-palate and a slightly numbing, pleasingly astringent finish.

I wouldn't describe it as a traditional Pontarlier absinthe, but a thoughtful and very enjoyable reinterpretation of the style. It may be my new favorite domestic offering.

Bravo!

really nice looking bottle/label! looks like i could get it shipped to me in ohio from maison absinthes, and i would but i just recently placed an order probably covering my absinthe budget for a while. but i think this one will be in my next. really cool seeing more domestic brands pop up.

I picked up two bottles yesterday. Lovely stuff. A wonderful, honeyed mintiness up front, followed by candied anise mid-palate and a slightly numbing, pleasingly astringent finish.

I wouldn't describe it as a traditional Pontarlier absinthe, but a thoughtful and very enjoyable reinterpretation of the style. It may be my new favorite domestic offering.

Bravo!

Holy Smokes! You were here when I started in 2011. Last post 4 yrs ago. Hell of a return from the dead post! Cheers.

Love the Mt. Defiance myself.

What? I just popped around the corner for a sixer and some smokes. Did I miss anything?

:cheerz:

Sounds like the herb source is almost all through Kirk Burkett?

Should be interesting... I'd like to see how this all turned out over the years.

Originally we got everything from Kirk. A few years ago we started a herb garden and it’s matured enough that we grow all enough of the leafy herbs except genepi, which doesn’t do that well in our climate. Kirk still supplies our aniseed and fennel - can’t beat his quality. Let me know what you think.

Is that water-sealed alembic in your avatar what you use for distilling the absinthe with?

If so, do you have any more photos? ;)

Yes. 150 liter alembic made in Portugal. I’ll try to figure out how to post a decent <100kb image.