• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 absinthiac

absinthiac

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

So I'm trying to discover the taste of the basic ingredients of Absinthe.

I can spot the Green Anise, as that's the, (hate to say it), licorice flavor,

the Grand Wormwood accounts for the bitterness.

I can't say that I have tasted fennel and have no idea what it tastes like or what I should be looking for.

I would appreciate, if someone could put into words what Fennel tastes like.

Thanks for any opinions offered. 

#2 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

That's a little tough to describe for me, because it's very similar to anise.  Maybe a bit earthier.  If you really want to get to know the different flavors in absinthe, get your hands on some of the raw herbs.  I think there might be a set of single-herb distillates out there.  I've never tasted those, but I imagine they would be really helpful.  To me, Grand Wormwood imparts some of the more ethereal or purely aromatic aspects to a good absinthe.  Bitterness really shouldn't be a big part of the equation, unless the Wormwood was used in the coloring.  I consider that just wrong, but others might have a different view.

I highly recommend getting some fresh wormwood and rubbing the leaves between your fingers.  Smell that, and I think you'll start to realize what the plant brings to the overall flavor profile.  If you're morbidly curious, taste it.  The difference between the smell and the taste is a vivid demonstration of why it needs to be distilled.

Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#3 absinthiac

absinthiac

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Selmac,

In another life, I grew wormwood, I remember it was aromatic, I'll try to buy a jar of fennel and wormwood, give it the smell test!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association