• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MisterX

MisterX

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:36 PM

So I've had a bottle of this stuff for a few months now, and it's pretty good! Surprised there doesn't seem to be anything on this site about it. I'd like to leave a review over in the reviews section, could a mod or someone add an entry for it over there?

Anyway, up front I have to say it has probably the coolest bottle of any absinthe I've personally owned. The label itself I think only has competition with the Jade I have. The shape of the bottle could be more subjective since it's pretty unusual, but again, it's very cool looking, very unique.

The color is the next thing that I noticed, and it's really weird to try to describe it. In the bottle, it looks almost 'too green'. You know, like maybe there is artificial coloring. I've read reviews and posts at this site since I started drinking absinthe ~10yrs ago so I've managed to avoid any fake 'sinthe, so haven't had any with artificial coloring, but I've seen pictures. Compared to every verte I've had, this one definitely stands out. It's so green it's almost blue (but not, except after louche the blue becomes even more apparent). It does kind of resemble the pics of artificially colored brands I've seen.

The weird thing is that in the glass it just looks like a super deep peridot, but again, it's almost *too* peridot. It's hard to explain how the color can seem 'correct' but at the same time somehow 'unnatural'. Maybe it's just because a lot of my absinthes are really a yellowish green, or at least nowhere near as deep as this. The label says they use some peppermint leaves, some other herb, and 'other ingredients' for coloring. They'd have to say if it was artificially colored right? There's a lot of sediment (which I don't mind), so I think maybe it's actually naturally colored. It's pretty intense for natural colored though, let's just say that.

First few drinks from the bottle I kind of passed it off as just another average mid-tier absinthe without much complexity or depth to flavor, but after a few months and coming back a few times it seems to have improved (or maybe *I* just came around to *it*) and I think it's actually pretty impressive. Seems to me a bit focused on the wormwood, bitter side of things but in a very nice way. It's actually got me really appreciating bitterness as a *flavor* which I never did before (never really thought of it that way). And this isn't to say that it's too bitter. It's really well balanced.

Guess this stuff's made in Detroit. Anyway, just thought I'd start a thread and see if anyone else has tried it!

Edited by MisterX, 21 April 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#2 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:35 AM

I gave it a quick taste about a year and a half ago. I remember it being reasonably legit. However, my first reaction to the wholesale rep who showed it to me was that it was seriously over colored. I see they're using nettles for color, and my understanding is that they provide a lot of color, but not much in the way of desirable flavor and aromatics. At the level of coloration, sediment comes as no surprise.

BTW, if you look at the review tutorial on the front site you will see instructions for adding a label to the review section.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#3 MisterX

MisterX

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

Interesting. The label says peppermint leaves, hyssop, and 'other ingredients'. Where'd you see nettles? I don't really know anything about nettles for coloration, but it makes sense that they had to resort to something unusual to get that level of coloration. To me the flavor isn't nearly as complex/high quality as something like Walton Waters or a Jade, but it's pretty good for the price range it's found in. I'd personally place it slightly above Vieux Carre (which I like, but don't *love*) but that's down to preference (VC kind of focused on anise) I suppose. I think my personal favorite in that price range is probably still Vieux Pontarlier.

Oh and I'll have a look at the tutorial, I just assumed a mod had to set up a new entry. Thanks.

Edited by MisterX, 22 April 2018 - 10:56 AM.

#4 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:51 PM

Nettles are listed on their website. The newest version of Pernod is using nettles and I believe St. Hor-Hay uses them too.

You can go ahead and submit a review for a new label. A mod then gives it approval.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#5 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:37 AM

It's pretty intense for natural colored though

Too much! A lot of peppermint as well as nettle is used in the coloration. I thought it had slight cooked greens taste, particularly when the bottle is first opened .   Louche is a bit thick, and has a strong star anise flavor. It reminds me  of some batches of Vieux Carre. 

Not a bad absinthe, but I think it would be better if they dialed down the coloration herbs and the star anise.  The cooked veggie taste did go away about halfway down the bottle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association