Photo

The Lies & Misinformation Just Keep On Going... >:-(

lies misinformation methyl alcohol methanol myths absinthe innuendo stupidity ignorance wisconsin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KaiserFrazer67

KaiserFrazer67

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

Haven't posted in a while (life's been getting in the way this winter), but I felt I needed to share this latest insult I received against our favorite beverage.

I stopped this afternoon (Saturday, March 3rd) after work at the local grocery store in the same Wisconsin town where I work to pick up some soda, and while I was there, thought I'd stop by their liquor department to pick up some rum for mixers, as I was out.  I also thought I'd see if they had any absinthe. (The vast majority of stores in this part of Wisconsin between the Fox Cities and Milwaukee don't; if they have anything, it's usually Kübler blanche.)  I asked the clerk who was there (who turned out to be the department manager) if he had any, and he said something to the effect of, "No, I don't carry it.  I can order the Americanized version of it from my distributor, but he doesn't handle the real stuff because it has methyl alcohol in it."
Well, you can imagine the intensity of the "W. T. F. " running through my brain.   :blowup: "Americanized version??"  Is there even such a thing??

Having all I could do to retain my composure, I tried to tell him that real absinthe does NOT have methyl alcohol in it (NO consumable alcoholic beverage does!!), that the real deal was readily available here in the U.S., and that I could get him plenty of information on it (intending to print him a copy of the WS fact sheet).  His reply?  "I don't care to have any information on it because I'm not getting any" and walked off waving his hands in the air.  The man's demeanor and body language told me that he KNEW he was propagating a bold-faced lie, whether his own or the distributor's, and was only too glad to keep on doing it. :angry:  :angry2:

If this misinformation did come from the distributor, what would they have to gain by it?  If they just don't have enough call for absinthe to be bothered with getting it, then why not just say so?  What's in it for them to lie about it??  I can get all the genuine absinthe I want--but only if I'm willing to drive at least an hour away.

Needless to say, I forgot about getting any rum from this liar either, and just walked out of the store without making any purchases at all--even left the soda sitting right in the cart in the store.  I don't know how many members we have in Southeastern Wisconsin, but the store in question was Mountin's Piggly Wiggly in Mayville.  PLEASE do NOT patronize this store, especially the liquor department.  I absolutely cannot in good conscience give money to anyone who willfully spreads lies and misinformation about ANYTHING, not to mention absinthe.  There is enough mythology, lies, innuendo and deliberate misinformation going around about absinthe without financially enabling people to continue the campaign against it.

Didn't we just go through similar crap about 100 years ago??  Seems things haven't changed.  :angry2:  :angry:

If anyone has any thoughts and comments on why either liquor stores or some distributors would continue to willfully spread lies about absinthe, even when confronted with the truth, please share them.  Thank you.

-Tom M.

"KaiserFrazer67"

Southeast Wisconsin, U.S.A.

Edited by KaiserFrazer67, 03 March 2018 - 02:12 PM.

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes."  -Henry J. Kaiser

There are far too many in this world who would rather believe the lie which comforts them than the truth which unsettles them.

#2 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:07 PM

This guy sounds like an asshole to me. Nothing in your story convinces me that any distributor is behind it. Some people just love to proffer false information that sounds sensational because it gives them that moment to sound informed and important.

I'd let it go and maybe next time in be prepared to hand him a WS fact sheet. You never know... maybe that time he'll have recently drunk some ethyl, met an Ethyl, consumed Ethyl, and if so I bet'll be kinder and gentler.

Or maybe not.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#3 KaiserFrazer67

KaiserFrazer67

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

This guy sounds like an asshole to me. Nothing in your story convinces me that any distributor is behind it. Some people just love to proffer false information that sounds sensational because it gives them that moment to sound informed and important.

I'd let it go and maybe next time in be prepared to hand him a WS fact sheet. You never know... maybe that time he'll have recently drunk some ethyl, met an Ethyl, consumed that Ethyl, and if so I bet'll be kinder and gentler.

Or maybe not.

Thanks, Fingerpickinblue.  I wish forums had "Like" buttons.  That seems odd to me, too, that a distributor would actually be behind that BS story, either.  I think the only beef any distributors would have against absinthe is that there's not enough call for it around here for them to bother with.  Wisconsin is beer country by far, with wine a moderate second and brandy/more traditional booze third (brandy old-fashioneds, usually the sweet variety, are kind of the State drink).  I have given my friends samples of absinthe, but not a one of them can get past the anise flavor--with most of the comments being "If I wanted licorice/anise drinks, I'd just do shots of Jäger." (Sigh) Such is the mentality here in the Upper Midwest...  :dry:  :rolleyes:

But yeah, a LOT of people around here like to pretend they're an authority on things about which they know absolutely nothing.

Edited by KaiserFrazer67, 04 March 2018 - 07:17 PM.

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes."  -Henry J. Kaiser

There are far too many in this world who would rather believe the lie which comforts them than the truth which unsettles them.

#4 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

As I have met several store managers who also have offered me weird stories about "American" absinthe. Usually it goes along the line that distributor (who is offering the European-made absinthes) tells them that if they want the "real thing" then they have to go with the Euro stuff. 

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin and vodka.
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lies, misinformation, methyl alcohol, methanol, myths, absinthe, innuendo, stupidity, ignorance, wisconsin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association