Sign in to follow this  
zisme

Hello from Virginia

Hello Wormwood Society!

My name is Zack. I live in Norfolk, VA.

Absinthe is a fairly recent discovery for me. I did encounter it for the first time 10 years ago in Russian on a college study abroad trip. The group I was with found a bottle in a liquor store there and purchased it due to it's "infamy"/purported side effects. We attempted to prepare it correctly before consuming, but most likely failed outright. In any case, we were too ignorant to enjoy it properly and quickly abandoned the effort. My memories of that trip at this point are pretty foggy...

Fast forward to last summer while perusing the aisles of one of our local ABC stores (VA state run liquor stores) where I stumble upon a bottle of Mt. Defiance Absinthe Superieure. I thought the bottle and label were attractive and thought it was pretty cool that it was distilled in Virginia, so I decided to give it a try. I'm well aware I'm a newbie and haven't yet developed a palette for absinthe, but I really enjoyed the Mt. Defiance. Really pleasant, floral and complex.

Around Christmas time I received and ABC gift card and decided to use it on another bottle of absinthe. The only one available in the store was Absente. I've since read reviews and such saying this stuff isn't the real deal. I'll chock it up to inexperience. After tasting it, I don't entirely dislike it - but it is definitely inferior to the Mt. Defiance.

Since I didn't have many options for purchase locally, I started searching online for different brands and information. That's how I ended up here! Just yesterday my order of a sampler of St. George Verte arrived. Will definitely be giving it a try soon if not tonight.

I look forward to hopefully learning more here. Thanks in advance and Cheers!

post-4816-0-87121900-1517441425_thumb.jpg

I’m happy you enjoyed my absinthe. If you make it up to Mt. Defiance in Middleburg, I’d be happy to show you our absinthe herb garden and enjoy a glass with you!