Sign in to follow this  
Moth Skin

Cheers from Connecticut

Good evening, all.

My name is Dante. I'm 24-years-old, and currently residing in Connecticut. I own an antiques & oddities business, thoroughly enjoy rum, and spend a fair deal of time with oil painting.

I am entirely new to absinthe, though it has been on my 'to do list" for quite some time, and it's very important to me that I try it if I am able to. I have a myriad of questions regarding where to even begin (though I'm sure some of those questions will be answered, the further through the forums I dig). It was my assumption that joining a group such as this would allow me to refine my knowledge of absinthe, and be better equipped to start trying the spirits.

Just yesterday I went for an allergy panel blood test, which I'm currently waiting on the results of. I've heard various sources state that those with seasonal allergies could potentially carry an allergy to ragweed, which would make consuming absinthe unwise. If I'm incorrect here, by all means let me know. Hopefully when the results get back to me in a few days, I can begin delving first-hand into the exciting world that absinthe seems to offer.

I look forward to reading into the forum topics that you've all amassed.

Rev. Dante

Yeah, I've noticed in the past, there can be quite a delay at times between the post date and it showing up on the board.

I didn't see it either.

Delay or no...

:cheers:

That happens because an admin has to manually approve first posts.

Welcome! :cheers: You'll find most of the basic information covered in the FAQ and articles linked from it, and practically anything else worth knowing has probably been discussed to death here in the forums over the last twelve years.

Ragweed and wormwood are only distantly related, being different genera (ambrosia and artemisia) in the huge family, asteraceae. To the best of my knowledge, any pollen allergy shouldn't be activated by distilled spirits, since the pollen would be left behind in the pot. I suppose it's theoretically possible though, so I'd check with your allergist.

I appreciate the thorough welcoming, everyone!

My business is called Oracle's Oddities, and I work out of Wallingford (though the business is operated solely online for the time being). I do get to travel around New England a fair amount though, in search for unusual antiques to add to the collection.

I'm exceedingly pleased to hear about the larger gap in relationship between ragweed and wormwood, as well. I admittedly thought they were quite close, and that I wouldn't be able to imbibe due to something as lackluster as a seasonal allergy. It does make a fair bit of sense as well that the pollen wouldn't be in the spirits. I'm actually not sure why I didn't think of that myself, but then again, that's why I'm here! :tongue:

I'll be sifting through the forums a fair bit. Thanks again for the warm welcome, guys!

If you're around Wallingford, you're not far from Middletown. There's a cool new mixed drink bar there called Conspiracy (350 Main Street). They have 6 absinthes on their menu to try. They're not exactly experts on the subject or on preparation, but you can get a good idea of some basic styles. They do have the gear in the form of proper glassware and spoons and such.

I'm liking the place a lot.