#1 Moth Skin

Moth Skin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

Good evening, all.

My name is Dante. I'm 24-years-old, and currently residing in Connecticut. I own an antiques & oddities business, thoroughly enjoy rum, and spend a fair deal of time with oil painting. 

I am entirely new to absinthe, though it has been on my 'to do list" for quite some time, and it's very important to me that I try it if I am able to. I have a myriad of questions regarding where to even begin (though I'm sure some of those questions will be answered, the further through the forums I dig). It was my assumption that joining a group such as this would allow me to refine my knowledge of absinthe, and be better equipped to start trying the spirits. 

Just yesterday I went for an allergy panel blood test, which I'm currently waiting on the results of. I've heard various sources state that those with seasonal allergies could potentially carry an allergy to ragweed, which would make consuming absinthe unwise. If I'm incorrect here, by all means let me know. Hopefully when the results get back to me in a few days, I can begin delving first-hand into the exciting world that absinthe seems to offer. 

I look forward to reading into the forum topics that you've all amassed.

Rev. Dante

#2 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:48 AM

How'd I miss this? Welcome to the WS from a fellow Connecticutian.

Where is your bidness and what is it called?
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#3 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Minx the Monkey

• 3,552 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, I've noticed in the past, there can be quite a delay at times between the post date and it showing up on the board.

I didn't see it either.

Delay or no...

:cheers:

Now twenty people got to squeeze inside the same bathtub, so it ain't all bad.  ~Tank Girl

If you're riding my ass, you'd best be pulling my hair.

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

That happens because an admin has to manually approve first posts.

Welcome! :cheers: You'll find most of the basic information covered in the FAQ and articles linked from it, and practically anything else worth knowing has probably been discussed to death here in the forums over the last twelve years.

Ragweed and wormwood are only distantly related, being different genera (ambrosia and artemisia) in the huge family, asteraceae.  To the best of my knowledge, any pollen allergy shouldn't be activated by distilled spirits, since the pollen would be left behind in the pot.  I suppose it's theoretically possible though, so I'd check with your allergist.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#5 PapaScout

PapaScout

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

Dante,

Welcome to the forum!  :drunk:

I'm not a doctor, but I'm allergic to ragweed and have enjoyed absinthes for years.

#6 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

The Reggae Rougarou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Welcome Dante! :cheers:
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

"Living well is the best revenge." ~George Herbert

Quod est inferius est sicut quod est superius, et quod est superius est sicut quod est inferius.

#7 Moth Skin

Moth Skin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

I appreciate the thorough welcoming, everyone! 

My business is called Oracle's Oddities, and I work out of Wallingford (though the business is operated solely online for the time being). I do get to travel around New England a fair amount though, in search for unusual antiques to add to the collection. 

I'm exceedingly pleased to hear about the larger gap in relationship between ragweed and wormwood, as well. I admittedly thought they were quite close, and that I wouldn't be able to imbibe due to something as lackluster as a seasonal allergy. It does make a fair bit of sense as well that the pollen wouldn't be in the spirits. I'm actually not sure why I didn't think of that myself, but then again, that's why I'm here!  :tongue:

I'll be sifting through the forums a fair bit. Thanks again for the warm welcome, guys! 

#8 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

Greetings, Dante!

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#9 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

Welcome! :cheerz:

#10 Moth Skin

Moth Skin

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

Cheers, Absomphe and Louchey!  :drunk:

#11 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

If you're around Wallingford, you're not far from Middletown. There's a cool new mixed drink bar there called Conspiracy (350 Main Street). They have 6 absinthes on their menu to try. They're not exactly experts on the subject or on preparation, but you can get a good idea of some basic styles. They do have the gear in the form of proper glassware and spoons and such.

I'm liking the place a lot.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association