• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shuichi Shindou

Shuichi Shindou

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

I'm hosting an absinthe and music event in Deerfield Beach, Florida on Friday, November 10. It's going to be a smaller ticketed event that's part of a larger anime convention going on that weekend. I'll be giving a presentation on absinthe and playing the koto (13-string Japanese harp) while attendees taste a couple of selected absinthes. (I'm still negotiating the drink budget with the event coordinator, but we'll probably have one of the Delaware Pheonix absinthes and something else. It'll be legit absinthe though.)

The first year I hosted the event it was a wine tasting with koto, and the second year it was sake & koto. So this year I asked if I could do absinthe & koto... and I got the go ahead! I'm surprised the hotel/convention center went along with it, to be honest. Due to rules, the hotel staff will be pouring the absinthe, and since I can't get absinthe fountains for everyone, we'll probably be giving everyone ice cold water bottles with small holes poked in the top so they can drip the water themselves.

I realize that many of the people on these boards are more qualified to give a presentation on absinthe than I am, but nevertheless I think that this event can turn a lot of people onto absinthe and dispel misconceptions they may have. We got a great turnout last year, so I'm hopeful.

Anyway, here's the Facebook Event Page and the anime con website. It's from 5PM to 8PM, 21+ of course. Tickets are $10 per person on top of the normal anime con ticket price, but if some WS members are interested I can see about getting you into the event without having to pay for a ticket to the convention. To be 100% truthful though, we're not going to be tasting anything particularly rare and the presentation is targeted at people who've never had absinthe. So I wouldn't say the seasoned absinthe drinker needs to go out of his or her way to attend. I'm posting this mainly to let you all know that it's going on, rather than to sell more tickets. Thanks y'all.

#2 Alfred Jarry

Alfred Jarry

Pataphysician

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Sounds fun.  What kind of sake did you sample at the previous CON?  Junmais, ginjos, daiginjos?  We're a bit of a fan of the brew ourselves, especially when the seasonal snow starts to fall.

As for absinthe samplings, small little water bottles will work well.  However many glasses you're going to serve in the two-hour time-slot, just make sure to bring enough absinthe for everyone. :thumbup:

"Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so solvent and corrosive that out of all substances, it has been chosen for washing and scourings, and a drop of water, added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddies it."

14 Surreal Absurdities I Four Different Faces I Three Poems I Snowy Clouds I Some Blue Suited Bird

#3 Shuichi Shindou

Shuichi Shindou

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

I forget the exact sake, but I believe we had a Junmai Ginjo, a Junmai Daiginjo, a Nigori (unfiltered sake), and some awful flavored sake that was probably just meant for mixing. Some people liked the flavored sake, but it's just not my thing. The others were all excellent though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: absinthe, event, tasting, music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association