Sign in to follow this  
Strix

Hello from SF

Good morning WormWood Society, I’m crash landing into the site as I’ve never partaken of Absinthe before but have three bottles on the way! After reading the reviews here as well as the forums I chose the following 3 to explore.

1. Emile Pernot Vieux Pontarlier - (Read nothing but good things)

2. Jade Liquerurs 1901 AS - (Made almost everyone’s top 10 here)

3. St. George AV - (Seemed like a “fun” one to try)

I’m hosting a small dinner this week so I’m now looking for a good menu to put together. I don’t think I’ll have bottles 1 and 2 in time (on their way to me from NY) but the St. George is ready to be opened. I’ll post pictures and first impressions afterwards and as time permits.

A bit of background

--

For the past 5 years I’ve quit all alcohol EXCEPT wine, strictly and quite literally no beer, no clear and no brown. An overnight in the hospital killed any appreciation I had for those three but somehow increased my love of red wine. I’m now diving into Absinthe because I love the herbaceous-ness of it and the measured, thoughtful approach one needs to full enjoy it. This site seemed like a great place to immerse so here I am.

Good morning and thank you all for the warm welcome! Tonight begins my journey into the "Abyss-inthe", just in time to observe the first Friday the 13th of 2017.

So the dinner and drinks were great overall. Though, I had no idea how to louche and forgot sugar cubes which must have knocked the experience down a notch as I found the St. George to be... decent? I also didn't marinate the rabbit long enough so, many lessons learned from my first attempt.

Is there a preferred method of louching that doesn't splash everywhere? Or is it the impact of the water to the Absinthe that prompts the release? I didn't want to buy a large drip apparatus but I also don't like wiping up before I drink.

I also didn't marinate the rabbit long enough

A brine solution is the answer. Add 1/2 cup sea salt, 2 tbs sugar, and some bay leaves to a pot of water. Bring it to a boil, and then take it off the heat and let it cool. Once it comes to room temperature, drop in your game, and let sit for 4-8 hours. This will prepare the meat to absorb flavors from seasonings, and also moisture so it's not dry. Cook accordingly, no extra salt will be needed, and do not brine for more than 8 hrs. Cook to medium, no more. Greytail knows a thing or two about dressing, and cooking a hare. You could ask him for his advice.

And also, take your time and sip your Jade absinthe slowly. Let it sit between sips and warm slightly. The different flavors will become more apparent when it's not ice cold.

Two of my favorite things, wild game, and absinthe. And both should be enjoyed together when the opportunity presents itself.

A brine solution is the answer. Add 1/2 cup sea salt, 2 tbs sugar, and some bay leaves to a pot of water. Bring it to a boil, and then take it off the heat and let it cool. Once it comes to room temperature, drop in your game, and let sit for 4-8 hours. This will prepare the meat to absorb flavors from seasonings, and also moisture so it's not dry. Cook accordingly, no extra salt will be needed, and do not brine for more than 8 hrs. Cook to medium, no more. Greytail knows a thing or two about dressing, and cooking a hare. You could ask him for his advice.

And also, take your time and sip your Jade absinthe slowly. Let it sit between sips and warm slightly. The different flavors will become more apparent when it's not ice cold.

Two of my favorite things, wild game, and absinthe. And both should be enjoyed together when the opportunity presents itself.

Very much appreciated! I'll give it another go here soon and will follow those instructions. I did chill the water before the drip, so ill let let it get to room temp next time.

Songcatcher= MVP. Thank you, I will pick a couple of these up! Also am immediately drawn to the the "Pan Absinthe Grille" but at 400$ ill go fly a kite instead ~

Edited by Strix

Sorry I'm late-- welcome to the WS. And hey, SF? Not too far from where I'm at in Monterey-- nice to see some more folks in California on here.

Sorry I'm late-- welcome to the WS. And hey, SF? Not too far from where I'm at in Monterey-- nice to see some more folks in California on here.

Thank you! Yeah I trek down to Monterey every now and then. Ill give Lucid a try if I can find it around here.