zufanek la ancienne justifee & ancienne

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

So a fellow recently posted on a Facebook absinthe group about tasting a sample of a new absinthe from the Zufanek distillery called: "Justifiée & Ancienne". Of course seeing the inclusion of the word "Ancienne" on a new offering about to be released from the Zufanek distillery made me shoot up in my seat. The fellow posting about it, Scott MacDonald, had this to say about it:

"I am having a sample of Martin's new absinthe Justifiée & Ancienne. It is so great. It has a softness and roundness, while still capturing the spirit of vintage, without any sharp edges or harshness. It is a lovely caramel color, and my favorite absinthe from him to date. Masterful."

It looks like we have a successor to La Ancienne, although this one is crafted by Martin and not Stefano. The tasting notes could be straight from a review of La Ancienne, down to the color. Scott did remark that it was not La Ancienne per se. Another fellow who also tried a sample said that

"It is a nice marriage of Antoine and Ancienne "

There are obvious politics here and I definitely had my own reaction, but that aside I do have to say that I am excited to try it now that La Ancienne is no longer being released. Thoughts?

Justifee_zps0mt3jj2s.jpg

REVIEW PAGE ADDED

Edited by Brian Robinson, 23 December 2016 - 04:34 PM.
Added link to review page

#2 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:24 AM

I should clarify my "obvious politics" statement as it could be taken the wrong way- what I mean is that it would be interesting to see if this is a collaboration of Stefano's and Martin's recipes, as in the comment "It is a nice marriage of Antoine and Ancienne ". I'm pretty excited myself.

Also, "L'Ancienne", not "La Ancienne". Man, we should have a longer window to edit our posts before there are any responses haha

Edited by DanPatrick, 05 October 2016 - 03:28 AM.

#3 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Minx the Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

Guess I now understand where the "reviews and thoughts" about absinthe are going, since they're obviously not being posted here. (except the occasional mention like this one)

Never would have guessed that members would put a higher priority on posting reviews and thoughts about absinthe on a generic social site rather than on one devoted to that very drink.

Then again...  no exposure, no money. I suppose when looking at it like that it makes perfect sense.

Thanks for passing along the info, DP.

Now twenty people got to squeeze inside the same bathtub, so it ain't all bad.  ~Tank Girl

If you're riding my ass, you'd best be pulling my hair.

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Facebook is eating forums everywhere.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

Indeed. :thumbdown:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#6 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

You're welcome! To be fair, Scott(who is doing great things with absinthe education all over the place) did post his feedback to the "Absinthe Antiques" Facebook group. But yes, WWS is still where this kind of information needs to be posted to get the attention of those most active in buying, grading, and recommending quality absinthe.

Edited by DanPatrick, 05 October 2016 - 05:03 PM.

#7 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

So while we have your attention, can you tell us a bit about this release? The characteristics mentioned and the color clearly indicate oak aging. I also understand that the release is a few months out. I will most likely be ordering several bottles and I'm sure other members' ears are perking up too. :)

Edited by DanPatrick, 05 October 2016 - 05:02 PM.

#8 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

A link to the Facebook post referred to in the OP would be helpful for those of us who like to see these things with our own eyes, if for no other reason than to evaluate them in context.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#9 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:50 PM

Sure thing- it's a closed group, so I'm not sure that the link will work if one is not a member:

https://www.facebook...475621001566251

If that doesn't work then I've linked to a screen capture here:

http://i1058.photobu...zps1m4krfdu.jpg

Scott's comment about it not being L'Ancienne is actually in response to an earlier question regarding if it was related to or the successor of L'Ancienne- not a comment about the quality, IE: "it's no L'Ancienne".

Edited by DanPatrick, 05 October 2016 - 10:00 PM.

#10 Martin Zufanek

Martin Zufanek

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

Whoa, it's been probably a year since I was here on WS, sorry about that. But you know, Book of Faces is ruining it all.

Thank you for making this thread and let me explain.

Stefano left the commercial absinthe production. He is one of the best distillers I've ever met and I completely respect his decision to stop L'A because it is very hard for him to leave USA, go to our place, distill a few liters and return back. Please note that J&A isn't rebranded L'A. It is my variation of preban style absinthe. It is quite similar, because the same wine base, source of herbs, our alembic, barrels etc. You can't hide origin of the home distillery. J&A is more floral, smoother and not so heavy on leather and smokey side. I know some of you didn't like that "leather, old money aroma" so I made it my way. 

Name of the absinthe is my homage to The KLF. British pioneers of rave, house and chillout music. The group who hugely affected my life in 90's. One one of their aliases was Justified Ancient of Mu Mu. You probably know the song called Justified & Ancient feat. Tammy Wynette.

Over & Out.

Attached Files

I distill, therefore I am.

#11 le5lieb

le5lieb

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Where's the darn 'Like' button.   :biggrin:

absinthe drinker

#12 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thank you for filling us in Martin! From what people who have tried it are saying, it is a fantastic absinthe. Yes, with what you said I can't blame Stefano either, although I do hope he returns to crafting commercial absinthe one day. Is this going to be a limited release or will it be a regular offering from you?

Edit: Yes, I was wondering if this was a reference to that song! It was everywhere back in the day.

Edited by DanPatrick, 06 October 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#13 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

Sounds tasty! :euro:

#14 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

There ain't no good chain gang

• Bronze Member
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

Out with the old, in with the new...old.
The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  
and the sad silent song made the hour twice as long,
as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#15 yasbean

yasbean

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

At last, some real discussion.  I never feel comfortable saying anything on ....

#16 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

At last, some real discussion. 

OMG!

Hopefully, this is just a fluke...unless it concerns craft beer, of course. :tongue:

#17 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Minx the Monkey

• 3,552 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

Or sex... ;) :devil:

Now twenty people got to squeeze inside the same bathtub, so it ain't all bad.  ~Tank Girl

If you're riding my ass, you'd best be pulling my hair.

#18 Stefano Rossoni

Stefano Rossoni

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

I feel like there is a little bit of confusion so I’d like to rectify a few things:

• I have not abandoned the commercial production of absinthe for good. I’m on a hiatus and if things line up in the future, I hope I will be able to resume the production of my recipes (L’Ancienne and La Grenouille) with another distillery. I love distilling absinthe more than anything!

• No, I’m not involved in any way with this absinthe. I'm no longer working with Martin and I wish him the best with his future endeavors.

• I can understand why the name would lead people to think there is a connection, but, as Martin explained, it seems to be a coincidence. I have not tasted it but there shouldn’t be too many similarities. However, you know what they say: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…

I’m not on the forums much lately, but if you have any questions feel free to message me.

#19 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

Or sex... ;) :devil:

I must've missed this, but...what you said! :thumbup:

#20 Martin Zufanek

Martin Zufanek

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:09 AM

What Stefano said!

Absinthe is our love of life, but you know, niche product like no other. Whole Europe is now riding on gin wave.

#21 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:51 AM

There is a good handful of quality US absinthe distilleries nowadays, so when the time is right for you Stefano I'm sure that you can make some calls and get the ball rolling! Unless they're completely oblivious to the absinthe world, they'll know what kind of excitement your products will bring.

Also, although I personally love the aptly described "leather and old money" aroma of L'Ancienne, I'm hearing great things about Justifiée & Ancienne and will be all over it when it's released. :euro:

#22 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:20 AM

I too love that old leather profile of L'Anciene. Reminds me of the vintage preban Edouard I was fortunate to taste years ago. I would be curious to know who the "some" are who did not.

As for this new absinthe. Martin, it's just unfortunate that the name is so similar when you are trying to say it's so different from what Stefano made. I can't help but wonder if the name was chosen to ride on the coat tails of L'Ancienes popular following and the fact that it has been awhile since its annual production.

I am not saying this is how it is, just how it seems to me. I guess the proof will be in how it tastes. If it reminds me too much of l'Aancienne the claims that it was not a clone could be harder to believe.
Either way, it's absinthe and as they say, the proof will be in the pudding.

Edited by greytail, 17 October 2016 - 07:32 AM.

Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#23 Martin Zufanek

Martin Zufanek

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:39 AM

I got your point.

But please, don't get me any wrong, name of this absinthe was not chosen to ride on the coat tails of L'Ancienne. We don't need such thing. Absolute majority of our customers never heard or even tasted L'Ancienne. All the production went directly abroad to your favorite absinthe eshops and to you, members of absinthe forums. I can even tell that I know all the L'A owners ;)

But J&A is another story. I could sell all that 200 litres just here in Czech to the people who never heard about L'A. It is not made to make fortune. It is because I love absinthe and people here in Czech love our products. Actually it was prepared to Czech republic only. But when I revealed it, your fave Germany located eshops asked for some too.

I could name it simply Absinthe - Methode Ancienne. It is a common phrase. But instead I chose J&A because I wanted to use that name for a very long time. Our next product could be named 3am Eternal. Or 'A Sync ;)

#24 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for the explanation.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#25 le5lieb

le5lieb

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

Stefano, I impatiently await the spirits that you will once again create. 

Martin, is absolutely correct; the reputation of his products alone make them desirable. I pounce on any new absinthe coming from Zufanek.

absinthe drinker

#26 Norton

Norton

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:22 AM

But J&A is another story. I could sell all that 200 litres just here in Czech to the people who never heard about L'A. It is not made to make fortune. It is because I love absinthe and people here in Czech love our products. Actually it was prepared to Czech republic only. But when I revealed it, your fave Germany located eshops asked for some too.

Hi Martin, not just in Czech but also we in Slovak republic really enjoy your absinthe :) Actually I think L'A was one of sample in tasting organized in Kosice – Gurman Fest 2015. it was my first contact with "real" absinthe and together with your speech about absinth you start my new passion J Thanks a lot. I already reserved one bottle of J&A

#27 chocochaos

chocochaos

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

Has anyone here already tried this absinthe? I just received my bottle in the mail, can't wait to try it this weekend :)

#28 Shuichi Shindou

Shuichi Shindou

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

The L'Ancienne has been on my short list of absinthes to try based on the tasting notes and forum discussions. But it seems like I missed the boat on it, unfortunately.

I recognized the name of the J&E and immediately hopped over here to see if there was any info on it. I'm really excited for this, even if it is completely different. I just ordered a bottle today and it can't get here fast enough! :D

#29 Carlo

Carlo

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:06 PM

I'm waiting to read some reviews. I'm curious, but it's pretty costly.

#30 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

It's delicious. Will be posting a formal review this week.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zufanek, la ancienne, justifee & ancienne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association