Sign in to follow this  
matt11

Grand absinthe & lucid

At my local spirit shops these are the only 2 absinthes they have, i have never tried any of these and I heard terrible things about lucid from a friend. Which one is better quality? I've only tried 2 different absinthes, and I order all these online; jade 1901 and jade Eduardo. And I know they can't compete with the jades, but it would be nice sometimes to just go out and buy a bottle, instead of waiting for delivery. But if their too shitty in quality I would't waste my time, but am willing to settle for an "ok" absinthe

If you must buy from there, lucid hands down. It isn't terrible, people just compare it to absinthes that are more complex and in the premium market or those people who try it might not care for absinthe. It made it's mark as a first entry as a basic, accessible, traditional absinthe in the American market. I haven't had it since it was still Ted's baby, so if it took a dive in quality someone speak up.

But since you are in the right direction I'd stick with the Jades. B)

Edited by Debonair Cajun Rudeboy

Lucid is a perfectly acceptable absinthe. Not brilliant, but considering the scale it's made on that's going to be par for the course. Grande Absente, on the other hand is barely absinthe. Its top-heavy star anise along with the fact that it's sweetened makes it taste like black jelly beans, and its artificial coloring is pointless. Would you drink artificially colored wine?

.. so if it took a dive in quality someone speak up.

The last time I got a Lucid was when they changed the bottle/label (no eyeball version) and it was probably the best Lucid, better than the earlier ones. I enjoyed it well enough. The first Lucids I remember as having a 'twigs and stems' taste, for lack of a better description.

Grande is horrible.

Great to hear! I'll defiantly try the lucid soon. I'm so glad I got all your advic, I was about to go with the grande.

But like Cajun rudeboy said I think I'd stick to the jades as my "go to", for now. I recently ordered vieux Pontarlier from the emile pernot distillery, whitch I am highly anticipating. I haven't tried many absinthes (yet) but defiantly want to only get quality spirits, obviously . and price is not a defining factor :cheers:

Lucid is a perfectly acceptable absinthe. Not brilliant, but considering the scale it's made on that's going to be par for the course. Grande Absente, on the other hand is barely absinthe. Its top-heavy star anise along with the fact that it's sweetened makes it taste like black jelly beans, and its artificial coloring is pointless. Would you drink artificially colored wine?

Artificial coloring? Gross! This absinthe should be classified as a novelty absinthe. So pointless, as you put it.

Go forth and get the best absinthe .... Online purchases are reliable, talk to your local liquor store manager. I drink Pernod and Vieux Pontarliar. They are expensive. Caskers I have used. Shipping is terribly expensive...... But worth the effort if you have no other access.

And then, slowly, make your choices. St Georges Absinthe is also good. The subtle differences make life interesting.

Best of luck to you. Also, the Pernod truly acts as an digestive aid.

What Gwydion said.

I personally like Lucid quite a bit, regardless of its limitations. Ummm... with respect to the above poster, I think St George must be an acquired taste-- I hated it when I tried it, haven't seen any reason to revise my opinion of it.