Sign in to follow this  
Hedonist

The Absinthe Trail

I was wondering if anybody here has been on the absinthe trail. It stretches from Pontarlier to Val de Travers.

If so, does anybody have any recommendations for hotels, distillery tours, boutiques, etc? We don't know quite what to expect. I'd really like to visit the distillery of Claude-Alain Bugnon (Butterfly + Sade + La Clandestine + Boheme = my hero). But I understand the distillery is small, and I don't even know that they offer tours.

Anyway insight at all is appreciated!

They work in the destillery every day and I've never seen them turn anyone away.
But if you go "outside season" you can always contact them at http://www.absinthe-suisse.com and ask if the destillery is open.

There is absinthe everywhere and you can try at least 20 different at Maison de L'absinthe, at the bar in the asphalt mines and many other places.
Hotel Aigle is just across from Bugnon but it is easy to find other places to stay.

This covers most of the things in the area: http://www.routedelabsinthe.com/en/

Feel free to pm me for a tour with Claude-Alain. Although he doesn't deliberately turn people away, if you arrive 5 minutes after a group of 50 people, you won't get the best possible tour.

The Fete de l'Absinthe in mid-June is a great time to go, with hundreds of international visitors and special dinners organised by Marc from Absinthe Originals. There is an event page about this within the Absinthe Originals Facebook page.

Hi everybody. My family and I will be spending a few days in Val-de-Travers in July. I've emailed several distilleries, each of which was responsive and said they could give a tour in English.

Other than the distilleries and Maison de L'absinthe, are there any other sights we shouldn't miss?