jimzuma

Pure Unadulterated Absinthe or?

I'm sans thong today (read: commando), so I didn't want a boot for starting another thread.

I had a little more than a thimble amount of Eich left, so I mixed it with a splash of La Fee Parisian and Clandestine Charlotte. It was pretty good, and sweet too (I didn't use any sugar in the making of this epic). Plus, it had one helluva kick - probably didn't help that I had a glass of absinthe and a glass of beam/coca cola prior to. Didn't go well with the cigar I had though.

Mmmm...I say, whatever gets ya through the night. As I've said (somewhere) before, the only thing that salvaged the Duplais Balance for me was to basically mix it 1:1 with Arak Razzouk, and (now I know I'll burn in hell) put it in a clean, empty Absente bottle.

The key thing is, it got me through for almost a month, and I've still got a third of a liter left of "absinthe lite" to intersperse with the vast quantities of Lucid I apparently will be drinking.

Now that I think about it, before they evaporate out of the bottom of the bottle, the 1/2 thimbleful I have left of both pf1901 and NO could both be put to use as "spice" I think. I believe I will try that. If the Mafia gets me though, just learn from my death, please! ;)

My impression of the Lucid, while yummy and legal in the US (Thank you Viridian and Co.), is that it a bit thin on the flavor. Maybe because of the wormwood thing, I don't know. All I know is that unless I mix it at 1:2ish all I get is the sting of high proof alcohol.

About the ol' FG. Really that's nothing but mouthfeel. My friend (who I've introduced to absinthe and she loves it) calls it buttery. And she's right. Very thick.

So tonight, I've combined the two (Lucid:fg 3:2) and I must say, a rather satisfying combo. A little heavy on the anise touch but all in all a rather well rounded apertif. Cheers.

I'm with Speedle on this one. When I finished off the sample bottle of CLB there was barely enough for flavor or even a louche. I had some HBP on me at the time, but didn't think to use it. Still, I don't think there would have been enough CLB to significantly blow my mind away. Dan and I will have to decide on what to do when we get closer to finishing off our loot.

I hope the fish have a big bed.

I never warmed up to Montmartre, but couldn't face sinking it. So I cut the second half of the bottle 50/50 with something innocuous, like Kübler. It defanged the cinnamon enough to make the Montmartre palatable. (I'm not bashing Montmartre — it just isn't my thing.)

Hmmmm....

Let's go on a bit of a tangent. While the wines here in the US are often fairly pure grape variatals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, etc.) In Fance they blend things quite a bit, sometimes during the crushing process, but also after they've actually made "wine". I've often thought that it might be interesting to have a restaurant do custom wine mixing "a la minute", where based on the customers particular taste they might add a little more of a pure "Cabernet Franc" wine to a mixture of "Cabernet Sauvignon" and "Merlot" then what a normal "Bordeaux" wine might have.

A few restaurant owners that I've mentioned this to have thought it sounded like a great idea... but nobodies implemented it yet.

So with Absinthes, I think that there is perhaps a similar concept available. Since I expect that nobody thinks a particular brand of Absinthe is "perfect", there might be some interesting aspects involved with mixing a couple different brands that represent one side or the other of what they think are "almost" perfect.

Of course, this is probably the mixologist in me talking :->

I would be interested to see what people can come up with by mixing absinthe brands. YES, you are adultering the intent of each brand, but you're creating something personal and new. It is fair to say you can create your "perfect" absinthe.

I leave this task to the rich people here, who can afford bottle after bottle. There is no way I could afford to mix around.