Pure Unadulterated Absinthe or?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 jimzuma

jimzuma

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:34 PM

So just wondering if any of you ever mix different brands of absinthe? I have mixed a number of different absinthes and have achieved some good results. Equal parts N.S. 70 with Deva. Or Kallnacher with a splash of Mata Hari to give it a little more Anise flavour. Any comments or suggestions?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

My first thought is that it would be like mixing single malt Scotches.

With lower quality absinthes like the NS, Deva and Mata Hari, hey, whatever makes them drinkable. But with the better absinthes, I think it would just screw up the delicate herbal balances. But what the hell, it's your drink.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#3 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#4 Grey Boy

Grey Boy

The Snitty One™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

Same with beer,
blending hurts both, except blending of aged beers before bottling,
but that's another story...
Take a Black 'n' Tan,
the only thing interesting about it is that
there are separate beers in the same glass.
Otherwise just chase a sip of one with a sip of the other.
I'm gonna meet pierreverte!

#5 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

I've mixed VDF and BDF before. A good flavour.
Not sure how it compares to them seperate though, I haven't done a side to side test.
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#6 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hmmmm....

Let's go on a bit of a tangent. While the wines here in the US are often fairly pure grape variatals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, etc.) In Fance they blend things quite a bit, sometimes during the crushing process, but also after they've actually made "wine". I've often thought that it might be interesting to have a restaurant do custom wine mixing "a la minute", where based on the customers particular taste they might add a little more of a pure "Cabernet Franc" wine to a mixture of "Cabernet Sauvignon" and "Merlot" then what a normal "Bordeaux" wine might have.

A few restaurant owners that I've mentioned this to have thought it sounded like a great idea... but nobodies implemented it yet.

So with Absinthes, I think that there is perhaps a similar concept available. Since I expect that nobody thinks a particular brand of Absinthe is "perfect", there might be some interesting aspects involved with mixing a couple different brands that represent one side or the other of what they think are "almost" perfect.

Of course, this is probably the mixologist in me talking :->

#7 jimzuma

jimzuma

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

Well I couldnt have said it better myself so thanks for that eloquent insight. If one was willing you might surprise yourself with the flavors and mixtures you can acheive! How about a little François Guy with Montmarte?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

#8 AndrewT

AndrewT

Dances With Livers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

On an unrelated note, I just found something really tasty- dip an ice cream sandwich in a glass of Montmartre.
-Andrew Thompson

#9 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• 2,385 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

While the end result may have been tasty, what on earth led you to try that in the first place. You are like the guy that first said, "I wonder what would happen if I sucked on those dangly bits under a cow?"
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#10 Saucier

Saucier

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:12 PM

:laf:

#11 AndrewT

AndrewT

Dances With Livers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

That guy was probably me in a past life.
-Andrew Thompson

#12 jimzuma

jimzuma

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

Ya know I got to say that I am getting the feeling that a lot of you are a bunch of closed minded snobs. Have you ever heard the saying don't knock it til ya tried it! I have tried dozens and I mean probably 30+ different brands of absinthe and I know what I like and don't like. But to say that mixing absinthe is some sort of taboo is like saying having sex with a hot Milano sucks! DON'T KNOCK IT TIL YA TRY IT!! I promise you won't burn in hell for it-
Friedrich Nietzsche

#13 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

Where do you get that? I see supportive comments up there. "Snob" is a label applied to anyone whose standards are narrower than the speaker's.

I've drunk well over 125 different absinthes.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#14 Grey Boy

Grey Boy

The Snitty One™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

I've tried it, I didn't like, hence my response.
Lighten up.

#15 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

I believe the correct term is "pinky in the air absinthe snobs."
I don't see anyone saying it's taboo, just that a well crafted absinthe tries to balance its flavors.

I just had a half and half old UE45 and Fguy. It wasn't too bad. The guy makes the old UE drinkable and the UE lightens the flavour of the guy. It was like an absinthe lite.
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#16 jimzuma

jimzuma

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:47 PM

Hey I'm fine but if you count the positive and the slights you'll see it's pretty much 50-50. It's all good if you just have a bit of an open mind-
Friedrich Nietzsche

#17 Grey Boy

Grey Boy

The Snitty One™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:11 PM

Why is it that only people whom want to be confrontational
and espouse stupid ideas then claim that everyone else
is closed-minded?

#18 jimzuma

jimzuma

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, like I said 50-50
Friedrich Nietzsche

#19 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

That's pretty good reception for a "taboo."

www.absinthemarteau.com

#20 jimzuma

jimzuma

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

Nothing like a little contraversary to get the old blood flowing I always say- :P
Friedrich Nietzsche

#21 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:10 AM

Nothing like a little contraversary to get the old blood flowing I always say- :P

What the hell is "contraversary"? Is that like an annual folk dance or something?

www.absinthemarteau.com

#22 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:05 AM

It's a big reunion for all the people who were involved in the Iran-Contra fiasco.

Oh, and by the way, in the post I deleted at the top of the thread, I said I thought the mixing idea sounded awful. I deleted it because I didn't want to hit you with a negative reaction. But, since you're acting like we flamed you anyway, I may as well say it. I think the idea sounds awful.

just awful.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#23 G&C

G&C

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:51 AM

I have to agree, Bill.

#24 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:22 AM

30+ different brands of absinthe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are some of those brands? I didn't realize there were that many brands of absinthE

Contraversary? Let's see.....Oh no! Please don't let it be:
Con-men of Val deTravers Anniversary

Nothing like a little contraversary to get the old blood flowing I always say

While the first definition of controversy from Merriam-Webster is quite acceptable around here, the second is objectionable.

Incoming!
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#25 brnlvll

brnlvll

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

Contraversary? Let's see.....Oh no! Please don't let it be:
      Con-men of Val deTravers Anniversary

:laf:

It's a little bit less serious than an antiversary.
Brian

brnlvll.org
Robert Aickman » A Pictorial Bibliography

“Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so solvent and corrosive that out of all substances, it has been chosen for washing and scourings, and a drop of water, added to a clear liquid like absinthe, muddies it.”

#26 jimzuma

jimzuma

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

Oh man, you guys don't give up- Nothing like beating a dead horse with all your incredible wit and charm. And as far as not knowing of 30 different kinds of Absinthe, Absinth, Absint or Absenta you've got to be kidding, right? Just ask Hiram as he claims to have drunk over 125 brands(see above). Oh and tonight I mixed the last 1/2 oz. of FG and a 1/2 oz. of La Volet and it was delicious!
Friedrich Nietzsche

#27 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:28 PM

It is easier to beat a dead horse, they don't move as much... :P
Actually, what matters in the end is that you enjoy what you are drinking..be it a Jade, Sabor, or a mix of what you have in the bar...
Looking for absinthe near you? Check The Absinthe Finder

I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#28 jimzuma

jimzuma

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

Thanks man :)
Friedrich Nietzsche

#29 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

No problem.. -_-
Looking for absinthe near you? Check The Absinthe Finder

I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#30 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

... as far as not knowing of 30 different kinds of Absinthe, Absinth, Absint or Absenta you've got to be kidding, right? Just ask Hiram as he claims to have drunk over 125 brands(see above).

I said no such thing. I said:

I've drunk well over 125 different absinthes.

Some brands make several different absinthes (Jade is one brand and makes three, Un Emile makes what, four or five? Many (more than half) of the different absinthes I've had were clandestine and therefore unbranded. I said "well over 125" because that's where I stopped counting. In your original statement, you didn't include "Absinthe, Absinth, Absint or Absenta", you just said "30+ different brands of absinthe."

While you seem annoyed that we ask for clarification, the terms "absinthe" and absinth" are not interchangeable and refer to two entirely different types of liquor. A "seasoned veteran" of absinthe ought to have known that.

Do please lighten up. Rather than whinging and getting defensive when corrected, why don't you simply ask the reason? I'll bet your one of those guys that would rather be lost for five hours rather than stop and ask for directions.

www.absinthemarteau.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association