belewfripp

Greetings from Pennsylvania

Hello everyone, I'm new here and have just recently become more interested in exploring the world of absinthe. In doing research online about different varieties and vendors, this site has been invaluable, from the forums to the reviews to the FAQs, in helping me learn more and make educated choices. And seeing as its been so helpful, I wanted to become a member.

I'm a bit of a Francophile, and have always had a fondness for late 19th/early 20th Century French art, music and literature, so it was inevitable that my natural curiosity would lead me towards absinthe, especially since it's now been legal in the U.S. for nearly a decade.

After doing some research, I ordered a Jade sampler set from absinthes.com (Jade 1901, Esprit Edouard and VS 1898), just to get my feet wet, and also because these seemed to be among the highest-quality absinthe currently available. However, it appears I should have examined the shipping details a bit more closely, as it seems a small package like mine is likely coming through the postal service rather than by courier. Hopefully there won't be any problems.

I also decided, in light of the above, to go ahead and order something available from a U.S. online retailer, and find myself a bit perplexed by the Byzantine rules and regulations surrounding interstate liquor transport. DUNY, which has the Jade varieties available, will not ship to PA. However, Astor Wines (which does not have the Jade varieties in stock), and which is located just across the East River from DUNY, does ship to PA. I have a friend in Brooklyn so perhaps I can arrange other ways to get it from DUNY.

In any case, wound up ordering a bottle of Vieux Pontarlier from Astor Wines, as well. So, sometime in the next couple of weeks, one way or another, I should be trying absinthe for the first time, and I'm quite excited as the texture/aroma/flavors seem much more interesting than some of the more conventionally-available liquors available locally.

Thanks again for the great website and perhaps after I've actually got some absinthe of my own, I'll have more to add.

Welcome. Absinthe is a wonderful drink... Or juice as we would say in Bourbon country in Kentucky. I have a serious chronic disease and absinthe has been, and is, both a wonderful drink and a medical necessity for me. Thank God, it is legal. Unlike marijuana.

Explore the many wonderful brands of absinthe: Pernod, Vieux Pontarliar, St George,.... Others. Just never buy anything with fake chemicals, less than real absinthe. I love my absinthe, try it, taste it, and you will find good things. You will enjoy the journey.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

I'd skip the Vieux Pontarlier for the time being, that distillery seems to have some quality control issues that they refuse to address. Go for the Walton Waters, or Vilya instead, you won't be dissapointed with those choices. And, Welcome.

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately, it's already en route. So, I guess I'll just hope that my bottle turns out ok. I intend to do a full survey of the American offerings (and yesterday, I got impatient and bought some Vieux Carré), but wanted to start with some French varieties.