Sign in to follow this  
gee13

Sugars in Absinthe

Ok this is for the Captains of Industry here.. Im curious as to what kind of sugar compounds are there in quality absinthe .. This is directed at a measure .. and not added sugar during louching. Ive recently gone on a sugar reduced diet and for a long time have consumed almost all of my extensive lines sans sucre .. So Im now curious.

If there is ..Is there also a difference between different types? Im hedging my bets theres zero .. but Im not entirely sure.

There should be zero added sugar in a properly-made absinthe, but for spirits sold in the US it could be up to 2.5% by weight before it would be required to label the product as a liqueur. Since there's no standard that requires disclosure below 2.5%, it's a shot in the dark. Your best bet is to ask the makers.

I can only speak with absolute authority about Marteau and Pacifique, but I'm pretty certain the Jade line and other high-end artisanal brands are sans sucre.

Absente and the other brands in the Michel Roux line definitely have added sugar, since they're labeled as liqueurs.